• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pre Trib Rapture and Luke 21:20-24?

• Members

So I have a question concerning Luke 21:20-24 and pre-trib Rapture view.

20)  And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.   21)  Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not then that are in the countries enter thereinto.  22)  For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.   23)  But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land; and wrath upon this people.  24)  And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the time of the Gentiles be fulfilled.      Luke 21:20-24 

So if verse 24 is speaking of the pre-told future how will the Jews from Jerusalem be led away captive in all nations for just a short time before Jesus coming to Rapture the Church?

It did happen - in AD 70.

What did Jesus mean when he said:

32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

If we take the straightforward words of the Lord Jesus in the Olivet prophecy, we would expect them to relate specifically to the AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem & the temple. 

Luke 21:5 And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said, 6 As forthese things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?

The question is phrased differently in Matthew:

Mat. 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Jesus proceeds to list lots of signs that are NOT signs of the prophecy - wars, famines, persecution, etc. Luke 21:8-19, Mat. 24:4-14  We can read of these in Acts. Then he gives signs they should recognise as the time to flee the doomed city: Luke 21:20-21  Mat. 24:15-18  

The destruction, & the fulfilment of the prophecies, will take place before the generation that rejected their Messiah would die out. Luke 21:32  Mat. 24:34 Hebrews emphasises that it will be within 40 years. Heb. 3:7-13 Psalm 95

There are difficulties in understanding many details of the Olivet prophecy as referring to the first century events, so many postpone the prophecy to the end of time - after the so-called pre-trib-rapture. It behooves us to study the prophecy with first century understanding to see whether we can reasonably understand it as referring to the destruction. 

Jesus does continue to speak of the passing away of heaven & earth, but gives no warning signs relating to that event we understand as the second coming for resurrection, judgement & the NH&NE wherein dwelleth righteousness

How can we interpret the Olivet prophecy details as first C event? What Scriptures do they relate to - both OT prophecy & the words of the Lord Jesus? I'll refer to Matthew, as interpretation is more challenging than Luke.

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.This obviously relates to the escape from Jerusalem, as there is nowhere on earth to run should we see supposed signs of the 'rapture.' It is reported that all believers escaped from Jerusalem when they saw the surrounding armies, but it is likely that some left in Jerusalem did repent & the tribulation was shortened for their sake. The tribulation was great because of its finality - the destruction of the temple created as the sign of God's presence with his people. Exo. 25:8 One third of the defenders survived Zec. 13:9 either by fleeing before the final siege or being taken captive. 

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.Acts mentions several false Christs & rebellious leaders, who perished. Acts 5:34-39  Acts 21:38

V 27 is a possible problem as it implies a visible coming of the Son of man. But actually Jesus is saying any men who claim to be Christ are not - his coming will be unmistakable like lightning. 

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.Roman legions with their eagle standards - doubly abominations, as images & eagles. 

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.The sun & moon darkened at Calvary & showers of meteorites are common, & seen as portentous. Jesus warned of a coming to destroy those 'husbandmen' who rejected him. Mat. 21:40-41 He also warned of God sending his armies. Mat. 22:1-7 

Similar signs in the heavens were also prophesied concerning the fall of Babylon to the Medes. Isa. 13:1-17 

The Israelites in the wilderness knew the presence & leading of God by the pillar of cloud & pillar of fire. At the dedication of tabernacle & temple the cloud from God showed his presence. Exo. 40:34-38 Coming in the clouds refers to Dan. 7:13-14 - Jesus' ascension to his heavenly throne. When Jesus quoted that Scripture at his trial, he was condemned for blasphemy. But they would 'see' him veiled by clouds, vindicated, when his prophecy against them came true. 'Tribes' generally refers to the tribes of Israel, who would certainly mourn as their city & temple were destroyed.  

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.The prophesied destruction will not hinder the progress of the Gospel, as the elect are called out & gathered. 

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.History records that the believers fled Jerusalem according to their Lord's warning. Note that in Luke Jesus says: Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; not just the fig.

I'm sure I haven't explained everything to everyone's satisfaction, but I have given the basis for believing & understanding the words of Jesus. 

• Members
Matt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

"When you see ............"  If the Abomination of Desolation was in the temple then only those in the temple would have seen it.  Those on the housetops or in the field would not have seen it, which is why Luke explains it as

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Those on the housetops and in the field did see this.  Christians fled the city when Cestius in AD 66, surrounded Jerusalem with his armies.  They all saw this.
Edited by Invicta

• Members

No Nicolaitans,

Excellent bilbical exposition. You are entirely correct in your whole post. I am sure your analysis helped the brethren with their understanding of Luke 21:20-24 and Mark 14:13-19. Please keep up the good work.

Luke 21:10-11 will be seen beginning by the last generation according to Luke 21:28-32.

Eric,

Thank you very much for your insight and bringing out to us the only correct interpretation of Luke 21:32, "Verily I say unto you, this generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled."  The interpretation that this was fulfilled in trhe destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A. D. is entirely incorrect and misleading many saints astray in the proper understanding of Luke 21:20-24 and the future events that are written in the book of Revelation.

I would suggest to all of the brethren that is involved in this thread to sincerely study what No Nicolatians and Eric has brought out and accept the true facts.

• Members

Matthew 24:15
When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

How could the armies that compassed Jerusalem fit into the holy place; how could all of them stand in the holy place? By scriptural definition, the "holy place" is...

1. At least...it's the temple.

2. At most...it is the holiest place; in which, the blood was sprinkled on the mercy seat.

I would assert that Luke is referring to the desolation of the city...not the abomination of desolation.

While I can somewhat understand your explanation concerning "when you see", we do live in a day and age; in which, modern technology can broadcast a specific incident (located at one place in the world) to the rest of the world so that they can see it. It's more than plausible that the Antichrist will use this technology to broadcast the proclamation that he is god...in the holy place...so the whole world will "see" it.

Mark 13:14
But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Again, in Mark we have a little more information. What is the one place where people were forbidden to enter? No one could enter the "holy place" other than the High Priest, and he could only enter it once a year.

Someone is going to do "something" in a "place" where they shouldn't be. I would assert that the "something" is one specific act (hence the use of the word "it" in Mark 13:14), and that "something" is the abomination of desolation; whereas, the Antichrist proclaims himself to be god. He will do this in the "place" where "he ought not" enter...the holy place.

To my knowledge, no such incident took place in 70 AD.

I know this has been discussed before, but notice what comes after Mark 13:14...specifically verse 19...

Mark 13:14-19
14   But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
15   And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
16   And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
17   But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
18   And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
19   For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

Was what happened to the Jews in 70 AD their worst affliction that has ever happened or will happen? I would say no. I know that some horrendous things happened as a result of 70 AD, but some would assert that Hitler imposed a worse affliction. Above that, we only know history (to a point). We have no idea (other than what God's word reveals) as to the affliction that the Jews will suffer in the future.

But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

The Roman legion ought not have stood at Jerusalem  (let him that readeth understand,)  The Jewish Christians understood and fled.  Luke was not adding anything new to Jesus' teaching.  He was writing his gospel message after carefully questioning those who knew.  

Luke 1:1 ¶  Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, 2  Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; 3  It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, 4  That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Apart from that from Daniel 11 we understand that it was the Romans who were to place the abomination of desolation.

• Members

Why?

They were there to desolate it.  

The Jews undoubtedly understood that because when Herod invited a Roman general to visit Jerusalem with his army, there was almost a rebellion then and there.  In the end, the general visited Herod but his army stayed away from Jerusalem 

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

How could the armies that compassed Jerusalem fit into the holy place; how could all of them stand in the holy place? By scriptural definition, the "holy place" is...

1. At least...it's the temple.

2. At most...it is the holiest place; in which, the blood was sprinkled on the mercy seat.

I would assert that Luke is referring to the desolation of the city...not the abomination of desolation.

While I can somewhat understand your explanation concerning "when you see", we do live in a day and age; in which, modern technology can broadcast a specific incident (located at one place in the world) to the rest of the world so that they can see it. It's more than plausible that the Antichrist will use this technology to broadcast the proclamation that he is god...in the holy place...so the whole world will "see" it.

But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Again, in Mark we have a little more information. What is the one place where people were forbidden to enter? No one could enter the "holy place" other than the High Priest, and he could only enter it once a year.

Someone is going to do "something" in a "place" where they shouldn't be. I would assert that the "something" is one specific act (hence the use of the word "it" in Mark 13:14), and that "something" is the abomination of desolation; whereas, the Antichrist proclaims himself to be god. He will do this in the "place" where "he ought not" enter...the holy place.

To my knowledge, no such incident took place in 70 AD.

I know this has been discussed before, but notice what comes after Mark 13:14...specifically verse 19...

Mark 13:14-19
14   But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
15   And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
16   And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
17   But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
18   And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
19   For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

Was what happened to the Jews in 70 AD their worst affliction that has ever happened or will happen? I would say no. I know that some horrendous things happened as a result of 70 AD, but some would assert that Hitler imposed a worse affliction. Above that, we only know history (to a point). We have no idea (other than what God's word reveals) as to the affliction that the Jews will suffer in the future.

.  And as He was sp      

We have discussed this many times before.  It does not say the worst, but such as, and there never was an affliction "such as." that as he was speaking  of the destruction within that generation, there can be no other explanation.

• Members

They were there to desolate it.  

The Jews undoubtedly understood that because when Herod invited a Roman general to visit Jerusalem with his army, there was almost a rebellion then and there.  In the end, the general visited Herod but his army stayed away from Jerusalem 

We have discussed this many times before.  It does not say the worst, but such as, and there never was an affliction "such as." that as he was speaking  of the destruction within that generation, there can be no other explanation.

Okay. I appreciate you answering.

• Members

Okay. I appreciate you answering.

Thanks.  I will try to go a bit further.

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophetstand in the holy place,(whoso readeth, let him understand:)

The Jewish Christians would have understood.  But I am sure they would not have understood it to be in the far future, they would have read Daniel and understood.

Dan 11:28  Then shall he (Antiochus Epiphanes) return into his land with great riches; and his heart shall be against the holy covenant; and he shall do exploits, and return to his own land. 29  At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter. 30  For the ships of Chittim (Cyprus, The Roman fleet was based there.) shall come against him:  (Antiochus invaded Egypt, but the Roman fleet came and their general, whose name escapes me at the moment, met him and drew a line in the sand, and challenged him to step over it.)  therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: (this is when he sacrificed a hog on the altar) so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant. 31  And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate. (They must refer to the Romans as Antiochus was not a "they" but a "he" )  Remember that THE abomination of desolation was still future when Jesus gave the prophecy.  THE, singular, there was only one.  So Luke quite rightly understands it as the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem.

• Members

Thanks.  I will try to go a bit further.

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophetstand in the holy place,(whoso readeth, let him understand:)

The Jewish Christians would have understood.  But I am sure they would not have understood it to be in the far future, they would have read Daniel and understood.

Dan 11:28  Then shall he (Antiochus Epiphanes) return into his land with great riches; and his heart shall be against the holy covenant; and he shall do exploits, and return to his own land. 29  At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter. 30  For the ships of Chittim (Cyprus, The Roman fleet was based there.) shall come against him:  (Antiochus invaded Egypt, but the Roman fleet came and their general, whose name escapes me at the moment, met him and drew a line in the sand, and challenged him to step over it.)  therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: (this is when he sacrificed a hog on the altar) so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant. 31  And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate. (They must refer to the Romans as Antiochus was not a "they" but a "he" )  Remember that THE abomination of desolation was still future when Jesus gave the prophecy.  THE, singular, there was only one.  So Luke quite rightly understands it as the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem.

From what I recall in history...working from memory here...I would probably agree with what you've said above. With that said, do you believe that the "abomination that maketh desolate" of Daniel 11:31 and "the abomination that maketh desolate" of Daniel 12:11 are the same event?

• Members

From what I recall in history...working from memory here...I would probably agree with what you've said above. With that said, do you believe that the "abomination that maketh desolate" of Daniel 11:31 and "the abomination that maketh desolate" of Daniel 12:11 are the same event?

Yes there is only one and it was still future when Jesus said "When you see THE  abomination of desolation  spoken of by Daniel the prophet, "  

Yes it is the same.

• Members

Concerning the contextual flow of thought in Luke 21:5-36
By Pastor Scott Markle
(www.shepherdingtheflock.com)

1.  Luke 21:5-6

In response to some who were praising the physical glory of the temple, the Lord prophesied concerning the destruction of the temple, as follows:

And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said, As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”

2.  Luke 21:7

The disciples ask the Lord some questions in relation to His prophetic utterance concerning the destruction of the temple, as follows:

And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be?  And what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?

Concerning these questions, it is of value also to consider the parallel passages in Matthew and Mark, as follows:

Matthew 24:3 – “And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be?  And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Mark 13:3-4 – “And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?

By considering all three of these passages together, we understand that the disciples asked the Lord concerning four things – (1) when the temple would be destroyed, (2) the sign for the fulfillment of the temple’s destruction, (3) the sign for the Lord’s coming, and (4) the sign for “the end of the world.”  By the manner in which the questioning concerning a “sign” was presented, it appears that the disciples may have believed in their thinking that the destruction of the temple, the coming of the Lord, and the end of the world would occur as a unit of events.  However, in His answer to these questions, the Lord does present these things as a unit of events, but as separate events at different times.

3.  Luke 21:8-9

The Lord begins his answer to these questions with a two-fold warning, first that they take heed not to be deceived by false christs and second that they not be terrified by current events of “wars and commotions,” as follows:

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.  But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.”

Furthermore, within this warning the Lord provided two time references, even as the disciples had asked concerning the “when.”  These two time references are found in the two phrases, “and the time draweth near” and “for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.”  Concerning the first of these phrases, the question might be asked – “The time for what is drawing near?”  Since both of these phrases concerning time are located in the same context, it would seem reasonable to draw the answer for our above question from the second phrase concerning time.  The time matter referenced in the second phrase is that of “the end.”  Even so, we would understand that the events mentioned in these two verses indicate that “the end” would be drawing near, but would not yet be present.

4.  Luke 21:10-11

Herein the Lord expands upon the phrase, “wars and commotions,” from His previous statement, as follows:

Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.”

Now, the concluding statement of this passage is of special note – “And fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven;” for it will be significant for consideration and understanding later in the entire context.

5.  Luke 21:12-19

Herein the Lord begins with another time element, opening the statement of verse with the following phrase, “But before all these things.”  With this phrase the Lord indicates that some of that which follows in His presentation would occur prior in time to that which He has already presented in Luke 21:8-11.  So then, how far in that which follows in the Lord’s presentation does this “before” time element extend?  At the least, it extends from verse 12 to verse 19; for that passage presents a unit of truth, as follows:

But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name’s sake.  And it shall turn to you for a testimony.  Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.  And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.  And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake.  But there shall not an hair of your head perish.  In your patience possess ye your souls.”

6.  Luke 21:20-24

With this passage the question must be considered – Are the events that are presented in this passage to be included within the “before these things” element of time with which the Lord began Luke 21:12?  In order to answer this question, we must consider the statement with which the Lord begins Luke 21:25 – “And there shall be signs in the sin, and in the moon, and in the stars.”  Since this statement with which our Lord begins Luke 21:25 is so closely related to the statement with which He ended Luke 21:11 (that is – “And fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven”), it appears contextually that the Lord is picking up in verse 25 where He had left off in verse 11.  Even so, Luke 21:20-24 would indeed be included within the “before these things” element of time with which the Lord began Luke 21:12.

In Luke 21:20 the Lord provides His answer to the disciples’ question concerning the sign for the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem (which according to historical record occurred in 70 AD through the armies of Rome), as follows:

And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.”

Furthermore, in Luke 21:21 the Lord delivers a three-fold concerning the city of Jerusalem to those Israelites who are alive at that time, as follows:

Then [1] let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and [2] let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and [3] let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.”

Then in Luke 21:22-23 the Lord reveals that this destruction of Jerusalem and the resulting distress upon the people of Israel is due to the Lord God’s wrath and vengeance upon them for their sinful rebellion against Him and their stubborn rejection of His Savior, as follows:

For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.  But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days!  For there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.”

Finally, in Luke 21:24 the Lord indicates a three-fold result of distress that will come against the people of Israel, as follows:

And [1] they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and [2] shall be led away captive into all nations: and [3] Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”

Herein also the Lord concludes with yet another element of time in the phrase, “until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”  This phrase indicates that the Lord God’s judgment against the people of Israel, such that they will be scattered among all the Gentile nations of the world and such that their city of Jerusalem will be trodden down under the power of the Gentiles, shall continue until the fulfillment of “the times of the Gentiles.”

7.  Luke 21:25-26

Herein the Lord speaks concerning events that will occur as “the times of the Gentiles” comes to its fulfillment.  Furthermore, in this passage the Lord picks up where He had left off at the end of Luke 21:11.  There He had concluded, “And fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.”  Then in Luke 21:12-24 spoke concerning things that would occur “before” those things.  Now in Luke 21:25-26 the Lord reengages His message from the end of verse 11 concerning the signs of the heavens, as follows:

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.”

8.  Luke 21:27-28

Herein the Lord speaks concerning the matter of His coming, and thereby provides His answer to the question that the disciples’ had asked concerning the sign of His coming (as per the parallel passage of Matthew 24:3).  Indeed, the Lord indicates that His coming will follow after the signs in the sun, moon, and stars, wherein “the powers of heaven shall be shaken.”  Furthermore, the Lord indicates that His coming shall be “in a cloud with power and great glory,” such that the people of the earth will see Him in His power and glory, as follows:

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.”

Finally, the Lord indicates that the signs of His coming will be those very signs in the sun, moon, and stars, whereby His people are to “look up” with anticipation and to be assured of their full redemption in His coming, as follows:

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.”

9.  Luke 21:29-31

Herein the Lord presents a parable concerning the signs of the fig tree in order to encourage His people concerning the observation of the signs for His coming, as follows:

And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; when they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.  So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.”

Furthermore, the Lord indicates that when His people see the signs in the sun, moon, and stars, they are also to recognize that “the kingdom of God” will be initiated with His coming.  Even so, from Luke 21:2-31 we learn five truths concerning our Lord’s coming, as follows:

1.  His coming will follow after the signs in the sun, moon, and stars.
2.  His coming will be observed by the people of the earth.
3.  His coming will be “in a cloud with power and great glory.”
4.  His coming will result in the full redemption of His people.
5.  His coming will initiate “the kingdom of God” upon the earth.

10.  Luke 21:32-33

Herein the Lord declares that “this generation,” the generation to which He was referring in that context, would not pass until the fulfillment of His coming, as follows:

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.  Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.”

Now, the word “this” is a demonstrative pronoun that serves a means to verbally point at an individual(s) or a thing(s).  In this context the Lord employed this demonstrative pronoun in order to verbally point at a particular “generation.”  However, the demonstrative pronoun “this” does not necessary indicate that the Lord was verbally pointing at the generation of His audience; for the demonstrative pronoun can also be employed in order to verbally point at an element of the context.  Even so, in the immediate context of Luke 21:32, there is a particular generation referenced.  It is the generation of God’s people that shall see “the sings in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars,” such that “the powers of heaven shall be shaken.”  As such, it is “this generation” of God’s people that “shall not pass away” until the coming of the Lord is fulfilled, until their full redemption is fulfilled, and until “the kingdom of God” is initiated upon the earth.

11.  Luke 21:34-36

The Lord concludes His message with an exhortation unto His people ever to remain spiritually watchful, prayerful, and faithful, as follows:

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.  For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.  Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.”

'This generation' means the generation he was addressing as in Matt 23:36.  Doubters of the word have often tried to make it mean something different. For instance Scofield says this generation in Matt 23 refers to the generation then living but in Matt 24 says it means "race, kind, family, stock, breed"  Just take it literally as the generation he was addressing and you won't go wrong.

Edited by Invicta
spacing

• Members

'This generation' means the generation he was addressing as in Matt 23:36.  Doubters of the word have often tried to make it mean something different. For instance Scofield says this generation in Matt 23 refers to the generation then living but in Matt 24 says it means "race, kind, family, stock, breed"  Just take it literally as the generation he was addressing and you won't go wrong.

Brother Invicta,

I cannot "just take it" . . . "as the generation he was addressing," since the demonstrative pronoun "this" grammatically and literally can either (1) be a verbal means of pointing at an individual or thing in the context of the physical setting, or (2) be a verbal means of pointing at an individual or thing in the context of the communicated message.  I cannot just arbitrarily take one of these options and arbitrarily exclude the other option.  Rather, I must examine the contextual flow of thought in order to discern which of these two options is valid in this particular context.