• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Kicker booted from team--because she's a girl

• Members

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution...

The 14-year-old high school freshman from Spalding County learned Thursday night ?- while team pictures were being shot ?- that she was being booted off the field. But her mother said she isn?t going down without a fight.

?We?ll file for an injunction if we have to,? Angie Stuart said Friday. ?We?ll do whatever it takes to keep her on the team.?

For two months, Kacy practiced with the school team, the Crusaders, at New Creation Center, a private Christian academy in McDonough. She participated in drills and even played a scrimmage game Aug. 23.

But a couple of weeks ago, Angie Stuart said, Hank St. Denis, executive board chairman of the Georgia Football League, realized a girl had been accepted onto one of its football teams. St. Denis overruled New Creation?s decision to let her join the team.

?He said she can?t play simply because she?s a girl,? Stuart said.

When she heard the decision, Kacy cried. ?She has college potential,? her mother said. ?And she?s willing to give up her life here to move to her dad?s [home] in South Georgia, enroll in public school there and play football. That?s how much she loves this game.?

Efforts to reach St. Denis on Friday by phone and e-mail were unsuccessful.

Kacy, who also plays soccer, played football at Henry County?s Union Grove Middle School last year as a kicker. The team went to the state finals, and Henry high school coaches were eager to have her join them this fall.

But the family moved to Spalding County, and Kacy had to change schools. She enrolled in Skipstone Academy, a small Griffin private school.

?I wanted her in a Christian environment and where the classes would be small,? her mother said.

But Skipstone is so small, it lacks an athletics program. So Kacy was allowed to join New Creation?s football team. The Crusaders play in the Georgia Football League, which supervises athletes who attend private schools or are home schooled.

Angie Stuart said she is perplexed by the decision. ?There doesn?t seem to be anything in the [league] bylaws to prevent a girl from playing,? she said. ?No one else has a problem with it. The coaches, players and other teams have accepted her.

?If she can play for a public school, why not a private school??

Watch the media blame the Christian school, when it's the private school league officials who made the decision.

• Members

Most sports are unladylike. And immodest.

That aside....it gets me sooo mad when a girl thinks she can just walk onto a BOYS team and expect that they let her on, because SHE "wants" to. Spoiled girl, spoiled parents.

• Members

I'd like to see the scripture you support that with please?

C

Better yet, perhaps you could show us scripture of all the women that were commanded to go to war? Or conscripted into the kings armies? Or maybe you could also tell us how a young lady could remain modest kicking a football, and look distinctly different than a boy?

And how does playing football with a bunch of boys help to this end?
1 Timothy 2:9-15 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

• Moderators

Better yet, perhaps you could show us scripture of all the women that were commanded to go to war? Or conscripted into the kings armies? Or maybe you could also tell us how a young lady could remain modest kicking a football, and look distinctly different than a boy?
1 Timothy 2:9-15 9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Not to mention the whole contact aspect of football...

I do think it was rotten of them to let her on the team and then kick her off later. It would have been fine for them just not to accept her in the first place.

• Members

It's no wonder, I've seen so many seekers come and go from this website, you ask an honest question, and the first answer implies that your motives for asking are wrong from the very beginning.
Thanks for the scripture Zealyouthguy.
I think I will seek the answer else were, since your attitude doesn't imply that you really want to talk about it with a right heart.

C

• Members
It's no wonder, I've seen so many seekers come and go from this website, you ask an honest question, and the first answer implies that your motives for asking are wrong from the very beginning.
Thanks for the scripture Zealyouthguy.
I think I will seek the answer else were, since your attitude doesn't imply that you really want to talk about it with a right heart.

C

Please forgive me if you have honestly have never heard of the idea of distinction between the sexes being a biblical issue. If you've never had to work through that issue in your church or your pastor has never addressed that, then I profusely apologize.

Sometimes I just assume that someone who preaches/pastors would be vetted with these things and perhaps that is far less common than I think it is.

So with the adjustment on my end that you've not been confronted with this before, my question really was as sincere as yours. Does playing football with boys help a young lady meet God's ideal of a lady? Or does God have ideals for a lady that are any different than a man?

• Members

Please forgive me if you have honestly have never heard of the idea of distinction between the sexes being a biblical issue. If you've never had to work through that issue in your church or your pastor has never addressed that, then I profusely apologize.

Sometimes I just assume that someone who preaches/pastors would be vetted with these things and perhaps that is far less common than I think it is.

So with the adjustment on my end that you've not been confronted with this before, my question really was as sincere as yours. Does playing football with boys help a young lady meet God's ideal of a lady? Or does God have ideals for a lady that are any different than a man?

I understand the distinction between the sexes, and I and my pastor both have preached on some of these issues, but you have to understand my perspective is probably completely different than yours. I've spent all of my life living in small rural communities in several states and it was the same in everyplace I have lived, including were we live now.
We live in a small rural ranching/farming community, and the girls around here are expected to get out in the field and run tractors and throw bales, and ride horses and help doctor cattle. This isn't anything recent either has nothing to do with femenists movement cause it's been going on in these communities for at least four or five generations, I have pictures to prove it. Because if the family didn't use every member of the family the work would never get done and they would in all probability loose the family farm. And I see no distinction between recreational activities and work activities, if a girls father wants her to work then she should work same applies to boys, and if that same father has no problem with his daughter being involved in the same recreation as his sons, then so be it, he's the head of the household. I have two teenage sons, and we have had several foster girls in our house over the years and I've taught them all the same life skills as I have my boys. They all need to know how to do the laundry, the same as they all need to know how to shoot a rifle, and ride a horse, and any number of other activities that would at first glance appear to be dominated by one sex or the other. Some things can be done by both boys and girls with decency and modesty without violating God's word.

As to football, I could really careless about most sports but for the sake of this discussion, if all she does is kick, then I doubt she has very much close contact with the other team, as to her own team I would bet that most of the boys treat her with a certain deference that they don't treat each other with. If it's a dress issue then that's a whole different argument, that's been beat to death in various threads on this board.

As to versus concerning women sent to war, I don't know of any but I do know of women in the bible who killed men in ways that would be considered masculine by some standards.

C

• Members

I suppose the day will soon be here that there will be no distinction between man and woman when dressed nor in man and woman's work.

The girls will be playing with the boys and the boy will be playing with the girls.

No longer with the words tomboy or sissy be used for all will be the same.

A girl or 2 will play on the boys basketball team and a boy or 2 will play on the girls basketball team and or all basketball teams will be made up by both boys and girls.