• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Concealed carry in church

• Members

In my neck of the woods it would be unusual for there not to be firearms available. I know for a fact my Associate Pastor, and our Deacon is armed at all times as would be some in the congregation and because of local culture almost everyone has a knife.  Even the young girls.  My sound booth has a firearm under the desk. 

• Members

There is a level of training, maturity and experience required. If Deacons/Pastors are qualified and willing, then by all means.

Every tom,dick and harry sitting the pews - NO WAY. The last thing we need is posers and military/police wannabees armed in a confined space around families and children.

• Members

If someone had been carrying in that SC church, several people might be alive now; Dylan Roof, maybe not.

That might sound good from our perspective but what about God's perspective? How much glory to God may have been lost if church members had opened fired and killed the shooter?

Many have looked upon that church, the church folks and considered their faith because they are in awe at how they have dealt with the situation. That wouldn't have happened if the reports were about armed church goers shooting the shooter.

Our natural outlook is typically about life and living here and now. Sometimes the greater purpose is beyond that. What appears to us to be nothing but a tragedy may actually be something far greater. If those folks were in Christ they are all now with Christ, which is far greater for them than if they were still here. Who knows what all God may be doing with this that will count for eternity.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice. If someone wants to carry and another doesn't, I'm fine with their respective decisions. If a church allows members to carry firearms in the church that's their choice; the same if they don't.

Edited by John81

• Members

That might sound good from our perspective but what about God's perspective? How much glory to God may have been lost if church members had opened fired and killed the shooter?

Many have looked upon that church, the church folks and considered their faith because they are in awe at how they have dealt with the situation. That wouldn't have happened if the reports were about armed church goers shooting the shooter.

Our natural outlook is typically about life and living here and now. Sometimes the greater purpose is beyond that. What appears to us to be nothing but a tragedy may actually be something far greater. If those folks were in Christ they are all now with Christ, which is far greater for them than if they were still here. Who knows what all God may be doing with this that will count for eternity.

Carrying a gun is a personal choice. If someone wants to carry and another doesn't, I'm fine with their respective decisions. If a church allows members to carry firearms in the church that's their choice; the same if they don't.

True. But how much fear of God may have been instilled, in other would-be killers, if they had?

Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecclesiastes 8:11

• Members

True. But how much fear of God may have been instilled, in other would-be killers, if they had?

Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecclesiastes 8:11

Church folks shooting the shooter may have made some people fear armed folks in church but not fear of God.

What happened was sad to see. Maybe in eternity God will show us how various tragedies were used for good to bring about His will.

• Members

I don't know man, I'd be kind of relieved and thankful if the brother in the pew behind me took out a perp before he had the chance to shoot my wife and kids. My ears might ring for awhile from the blast, but I wouldn't hold that against him/her.

Likely I would be as well. At the same time, if it went the other way I would be thankful that they, and all things, are in God's hands. Then I would have to lean upon the Lord to get me through the grief and sense of loss.

Then there is always the problem of people with guns who lack the brain cells to properly use them. Over the years there have been many I wouldn't hunt with, or hunt with again, due to their lack of care in handling their weapons and often in their use of them as well. I surely hope one of those isn't sitting behind either of us!

• Members

I got into a conversation with my knowitall broinlaw once. Upon hearing that I kept my hunting weapons unloaded in the house, he proceeded to set me straight on it. I explained that my Dad taught me, from the time I was very young, that you load a gun when you're hunting, unload it in the house, but always treat it as if it's loaded. But my broinlaw scoffed at that, telling me that "unloaded guns will get ya killed". Well, a few years later, my broinlaw was out duck hunting, wading in a body of water, and had laid his shotgun on a stump, I think above his shoulder height. When he went to reach up to retrieve it, he pulled the muzzle down toward him, the trigger caught on something, and shot him in both legs; one pretty severely. That wasn't his first mishap. A few years before that he had accidently discharged a high powered rifle through a wall inside his dad's place of business. That was before the lecture he gave me. So yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that.

• Members

Where I live two men might meet in the cafe and one bring a pistol in right out in the open and they would haggle over it while they had breakfast or dinner or supper. In the bigger town to the south they might not be as open about that kind of thing. In the big city of Asheville they would throw a man under the jailhouse. 

As for church it's fine by me as long as they are a good shot. I don't want any of the kids or women hit by a stray bullet.