• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I am busy getting ready for our next school year.  I really love parts of the classical education model.  I am writing history sentences to memorize for the Mystery of History Vol 2 (middle ages) curriculum.  I am also including dates of importance from the trail of blood; I want my children to know their heritage well.  With that said, is anyone here well read on the trail of blood and care to look through my 35 sentences and correct any mistakes?  

Thanks

happy homeschooling

• Members

I have got it - I bought several to use in church study. I'm happy to help. I think the author is somewhat inclusive in the baptists down the ages, but it is a very useful book. I was concerned to read of  the persecutions in America in recent centuries. 

Do you want to post it here, or as a PM to me, or as an email? 

• Members

Covenanter:

Here is what I have so far;  The first 3 are the ones I know are really important and I do not want to teach wrong.  I was hoping for dates on those events but not sure if I can find an accurate source.  I come from a Lutheran background, so many false doctrines I list here were taught as truth to me as a child.  I want my children to be clear on the truth, I very appreciate your double checking this for me :) 

HIStory Sentences

Adapted from Mystery of History Volume 2;

The Early Church and the Middle Ages

Kingfischers History Encyclopedia

Trail of Blood

1.     Jesus organizes His church; ‘And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. “ Mark 3: 16- 18

2.     The great Commission given by Christ “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. “ Matthew 28: 19- 20

3.     29 A.D. the day of Pentecost; the first followers of Jesus were given the power from the Holy Spirit to perform the great Commission (Acts 2)

4.     The first real official separation of churches came about in 251 AD  when Baptist Churches declared non-fellowship with the irregular churches, refusing to accept Baptism administered in infancy, by sprinkling or for Salvation, and thus came the oldest nickname - Ana-Baptist which means re-baptizers.

5.     In 313 AD Constantine I signed the Edict of Milan, ensuring freedom from persecution for all Christians in the Roman Empire

6.     In 325 AD Constantine called for a gathering of all churches, what has been named the Council of Nicaea, a hierarchy was formed, which rapidly developed into the establishment of the Roman Catholic Church

7.     416 AD The Catholics churches first legislative enactment was the law of Infant Baptism, making infant baptism compulsatory; thus abrogating New Testament standards of believers baptism, and voluntary personal obedience in baptism.

8.     In 451 AD at the fourth Ecumenical council held at Chalcedon the false doctrine of Mariolatry, or worship of Mary was established out of a desire to have a mediator between God and man.

9.     Constantinople, the eastern Roman capital; built by emperor Constantine on the site of the ancient city of Byzantium, when the Roman empire collapsed in 476 AD the city became the capital of the new Byzantine Empire.  The western Roman empire was replaced with a number of Germanic kingdoms.

10. In 622 AD Mohammed fled to Medina from Mecca because the rulers of Mecca felt threatened by his teaching.  The Muslim calendar counts its dates from this flight referred to as Hegira. Mohammed then organized Islam and built its first mosque.

11. In 732 AD Charles “Martel” abruptly halted the spread of Islam to France with victory of Islamic Spain at the Battle of Tours.

12. 787 AD Second council of Nicea promulgated the false doctrines of image worship, and saint worship in violation of Gods word (Ex 20:3-5)

13. In 793 AD the first documented raid, the Vikings raided an English island of Lindisfarn; beginning a nearly 300 year invasion of the Vikings across Europe.

14. Intrigued by previous sightings of land in 1003 AD at the age of 21 Leif Ericsson discovers North America.

15. In1066 AD, William the conqueror, duke of Normandy, was crowned King of England after the Battle of Hastings settled a dispute to the crown between the King of Norway, Harold of Wessex and William the conqueror.

16. In 1096 AD Palestine became the center of a struggle for political and religious power when the pope of the Roman Catholic Church called for the first of 8 crusades to free the Holy Land from Muslim Control

17. The quarrel between the Pope and the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire over the choosing of bishops was settles in 1122 AD with the Concordat of Worms; continued disputes however led to a gradual separation of church and state.

18. In 1123 AD Western council called for a decree of celibacy for Roman priests meaning they were never to marry.

19. 1129 AD Pope Innocent II condemns devout Christians known as the Perto- Brussians and Arnoldists

20. 1179 AD Alexander III condemns devout Christians known as the Waldenses and Albigenses

21. 1215 AD Pope Innocent III called council which put forth the false doctrines of Transubstantiation, which taught the bread and wine of communion was turned into the actual body and blood of Christ after a prayer by the pries; and Auricular confession, confession ones sins into the ear of a priest.  

22. 1229 Council at Toulouse decreed the Bible to be denied to all laymen in defiance of Gods word (John 5:39)

23. 1231 AD The beginning of the Inquisition; a group of institutions with in the judicial system of the Roman Catholic Church whose aim was to combat ‘heresy’, known for cruelty, bloodshed and torture; many devout Christians were martyred during this time for refusal to align with the errors of the state church.

24. Encouraged by a family of traders in 1271 AD Marco Polo travels east and discovers China, returning after spending 20 years and being made governor, opening up the western world to the wonders of China.

25. In 1377 AD stirred by grievous errors seen in the church John Wycliffe debated controversial subject with Pope Gregory XI.  With their disputes unsettled Pope Gregory XI has Wycliffe fired from teaching at Oxford, and has his writings burned.  This incident inspired John Wycliffe into starting his greatest work, the translation of the Bible from Latin to English.  John Wycliffe then became known as the “Morning Star of the Reformation”

26. At the age of 17, Joan of Arc led the French to victory against the British.  In 1431 AD accused of heresy and witchcraft Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake; 500 years latter however she was made a saint.

27. In 1456 AD Johannes Gutenberg invents the printing press, printing over 300 copies of ‘Jeromes Latin Vulgate’.  Latter the Lollards strong believers in set up the first printing press in England, for use of printing English Bibles. 

• Members

dmedicincus,

Sounds like you know what you are doing in your homeschooling effort and I want to commend you for it.

The, 'Trail of Blood,' is a fine book and I  hope will be a blessing to you and to your family. Right now I am staying at our church and we only have an Chinese copy, but, in a day or so, I will be going back to our home library and should be able to double-check your above post with our English copy.

God bless your homeschooling efforts.

Alan

• Members

demedicinus,

I just finished re-looking at the, "Trail of Blood," and would like to say the following. Please note that I did not check any of the references from the other historical books mentioned in your post. 

1. Concerning Point Number 1: I believe the quotation is from Matthew 16:13-18 instead of Mark 3:16-18

2. Concerning Point Number 19: I believe that the correct date for Pope Innocent's the 3rd. condemnation of the perto-Brussians and the Arnoldists took place in 1139 A.D. and not 1129 A.D. Please refer to page 28 in the book, "The Trail of Blood."

Suggestions - Important Historical Dates.

1. On page 16, in connection with Emperor Constantine, in the 313 A.D. Council, Bro. Carroll makes this historical, and true, statement that needs to be remembered, "These Christians (Baptist) nor the churches ever at that time or later, entered the hierarchy of the Catholic denomination."

2. On page 19, A. D. 426, the, "Dark Ages," had its beginnings. The, "Dark Ages," was previously, and formally recognized, by Siricius, Bishop of Rome 384-398.

3. On page 26, Bro. Carrol brings out the historical account of up to 50 million non-Catholics, of the various Anabaptist groups had persecuted unto death. The true amount of Baptist and other Christians from other groups will never be known until we reach heaven.

4. On page 28, I probably would include the notable date of 1215 A.D. when Pope Innocent the 3rd. created the, "Inquisition."

5. On page 45, Bro. Carroll brings out the historical fact, usually overlooked by historians, of the persecution by the Catholic Church, and the Presbyterians persecuting Baptists.  On page 53, Bro. Carroll also, correctly, points out that the Lutheran Church joined in the persecution of Baptists.

I do hope that the above information is helpful to you. Again, it is a blessing to know that you are teaching your children from the, "Trail of Blood," and other historically important documents. Your effort and sacrifice is commendable.

Alan 

Edited by Alan
spelling revise scripture

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Alan thank you so much for your time and effort in looking this through!  Such a blessing.  I hope this produces fruit in my children to prepare them for these last days.  I have a keen awareness that I may be raising the last generation to serve the Lord before He returns.  Error is rampant, blending and compromise is prevalent everywhere we go. I want my children to have a precious heart for lost and misguided souls while still remaining firm on their separation from error.  I hope that knowing when and how error was introduced will help them.  Thank you!  

Blessings