• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Moderators

I confess that my primary creed is just Christ and Him crucified, risen and coming again.

Seriously, basic fundamentalist position: salvation by grace through faith, not works, and eternal security of that salvation; the deity of Jesus Christ; virgin birth, death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ; literal return of Christ to rule and reign 1000 years on earth, and then a new heaven and new earth, to last forever. Literal 6-day creation as recorded in Genesis.

• Members

For the most part, IFB churches don't use creeds or confessions. In one church I visited years ago the pastor led the congregation in reciting the Apostles Creed which was displayed on a screen. Afterward the pastor preached from Scripture the meaning of that creed.

To an extent, a church statement of faith would be akin to a creed. Creeds were originally put forth to be a concise statement of faith, although for some they became more later.

As far as holding up a creed or giving one a prominent position as some liturgical and Reformed churches do, that's not something IFB churches do.

• Members

well all churches have creeds(statement of faith) this website has one, I was wondering if anybody here held to a particular one. 

While IFB churches have statements of faith, they are generally put forth as a means of letting folks have an idea of what that particular church stands on the fundamentals or other aspects of the faith.

As far as holding to a particular statement of faith, the intent of them is not to be held to. Each IFB church is, as the first initial indicates, Independent. Each church establishes their own statement of faith, which may or may not be the same as another. Some IFB churches have a very simple statement of faith, some have much longer and sometimes even detailed statements of faith, while others land somewhere between the two.

Some IFB church statements of faith may not include a reference to the Rapture while some others might believe they need to, yet both groups may hold to the same belief on the matter.

IFB statements of faith are not meant to be memorized, used as a core teaching themselves, or elevated to a high position as some differing churches do.

Most IFBs would say they hold to the KJB and the whole counsel of God contained therein.

• Members

In the UK the FIEC - Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches - holds to a simplified doctrinal basis intended to unite Bible-believing Gospel churches, but to allow disagreement where such churches differ in specific matters. Statements on issues such as  Gospel UnityWomen in Ministry and Same Sex Marriageare included. 

You will note there is freedom of belief concerning the second coming, with probably most churches holding the amillennial position, and also mode of baptism, bearing in mind the KJV translators held to infant baptism. Most FIEC churches will in fact hold to believer's baptism by immersion. Many churches use modern versions, but the doctrinal basis is aimed to prevent doctrinal aberrations. 

Individual churches will, of course, have specific attitudes to these doctrines.

• Moderators

well all churches have creeds(statement of faith) this website has one, I was wondering if anybody here held to a particular one. 

Okay, well, when you say 'creed' in the context of confessions, it sounds like you're talking about the Apostles Creed, Nicene Creed, Westminster Confession, and other formalized statements like those. Yes, my church has a statement of faith (I have a personal one as well), but they're not quite the same as those creeds. Ours are not associated with false churches, and are much more thorough. Like John81 says, we use our statements of faith in a far different manner than the formalized Creeds are used.

• Members

Okay, well, when you say 'creed' in the context of confessions, it sounds like you're talking about the Apostles Creed, Nicene Creed, Westminster Confession, and other formalized statements like those. Yes, my church has a statement of faith (I have a personal one as well), but they're not quite the same as those creeds. Ours are not associated with false churches, and are much more thorough. Like John81 says, we use our statements of faith in a far different manner than the formalized Creeds are used.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that that must be huge, the Westminster or 1679 LBC are quite lengthy 

• Members

King James Only, Dispensational, Separatist, Young Earth Creationist, Eternal Security, Non Calvinist, Pre Trib Rapture, Millenial, Salvation by grace through faith alone, Deity of Christ, Trinity... the list could go on and on.

This is what I have understand IFB Churches too agree on as a whole.  And with the exception of the first two underlined, I entirely agree with them, not a KJVO, but a Textus Receptus Only, so that I also like translations such as the Geneva Bible, and Webster Translation, and happen to be more into Covenant Theology.  But after reading a defend on another forum about the end times where he complain that Dispensationalist don't preach the Gospel enough (which is not true) not sure if the 2nd one is that important because when I was involved in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church I was very involved in the missionary work that is witnessing to the lost, since being away I have hardly done any witnessing.  So that the Great Commission if practice in IFB Churches.