• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation Bible Study.

• Members
On ‎2016‎年‎10‎月‎18‎日 at 3:08 PM, John Young said:

This prophesy reminds me of the time when Abimelech made covenant with Abraham and then later with Issac because he acknowledged God was with them in Genesis 21 and 26.

I mentioned Genesis 31:25-55 in my last post, but, I forgot to mention the story of Isaac and Abimelech, Genesis 26: 6-31 that John Young mentioned.

The story of Isaac and the Abimelech is certainly a picture of the Jew during the Millenium that Zechariah prophesied concerning in Zechariah 8:20-23

"And Abimelech charged all his people, saying, He that toucheth this man or his wife shall surely be put to death." Genesis 26:11

"Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him." Genesis 26:12

"And the man waxed great, and went forward, and grew until he became very great." Genesis 26:13

Isaac is clearly a picture of the blessings that the Lord will give to the Jews on a world-wide scope during the Millenium as prophesied by Zechariah and the prophets.

Alan

6 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

"...For we have heard that God is with you." (End of Zech. 8:23)  Oh that, that could be said of His own today!  Can people see that there's something about our faith worth having?  Are we peculiarly different than the world?  Are His light and work being manifested outwardly from within?  Sigh...

Alan, if you could briefly clarify Rev. 20:5 for me a bit more, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thank you again for another great lesson.

WellWithMySoul,

Your thoughts convict my soul. We all need to pray for a better relationship with the Lord.

I am pressed for time at this particular moment and I will need a little more time to prepare in order to speak more adequately on Revelation 20:5

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members
2 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

Alan, if you could briefly clarify Rev. 20:5 for me a bit more, I'd sure appreciate it.  Thank you again for another great lesson.

WellWithMySoul,

I had previously taught on Revelation 20:5 in the Revelation chapter 19-22 Study. The link to that study is above. In order not to be too redundant, it may be best to review the previous discussion on Revelation 20:5 in the Revelation chapter 19-22 Study.

I will include here in this lesson a portion of the study of the order of the first resurrection.

The Resurrection of the Body of the Saints are referred to as a, ‘harvest.”

In the Old Testament, there are three harvests in most crops; whether from the ground or in a bush or tree.  

1. The firstfruits; this is fruit that ripens early or that can be picked early.

2. The harvest. This would be the main body of the fruit of the harvest.

3. The gleanings. This is the part of the harvest that ripens late, or is left on the ground, either intentionally, or unintentionally, by the harvesters. In the Book of Ruth we see this type of harvest where there were gleanings from the harvest of Boaz.

In Leviticus 19:9 God commanded the Jews to leave a gleaning from every harvest. “And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of the field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.” The resurrection, ’gleanings of the harvest,’ is a type of the third harvest of the, ‘first resurrection.’ This is the resurrection of the Tribulation saints; Revelation 14:14-16  

The Order of the Harvest of the Saints 

In the great resurrection Chapter, 1 Corinthians 15, we read in 15:23, “But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.” The Resurrection of the Saved is done in order. 

1. ‘Christ the firstfruits.’ The Resurrection of Christ, Matthew 28:1-11 and of, ‘many bodies of the saints,’ Matthew 27:52 and 53. There was a portion, not all of, the Old Testament saints.

2. ‘... afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.’ 1 Corinthians 15:51 and 52; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. Church Age saints.

3. ‘...then cometh the end...’ The gleanings are the Tribulation saints, the rest of the Old Testament saints, and would include the saints that died in the Millennial Reign of Christ, but raised afterward.

In Revelation 20:5 the phrase, "This is the first resurrection," would include the firstfruits, the harvest, and the gleanings. 

Also, Revelation 20:5 "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection."

Included in the first resurrection of the saints will be David. "For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim: Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days." Hosea 3:4 and 5

During the Millenium, the Lord Jesus will reign at Jerusalem over the whole world. David will be raised up and will be the King over Israel and will designated as the Prince as depicted in Ezekiel 37:24 and 25, "And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever."

I had previously given more scripture references concerning David being King and prince in Lesson # 9 in this study.

Please let me know if the above remarks on Revelation 20:5 helps your understanding or not.

Alan

• Members

Yes!  Thank you for clarifying Rev. 20:5 for me!  I'm sure learning a lot through these lessons, and I really appreciate them!  With your clarification, I was greatly blessed to see once again how the number "3" represents yet another significant thing - first fruits, harvest, and gleaning.  I just love how the Word comes together in such wonderful consistency and with such order.  It is so very exciting when something truly "hits home" in my heart bringing me not only knowledge, but understanding!  With each little bit of understanding that the Lord grants me, I love and appreciate HIM all the more!  Thank you, Alan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a very basic understanding of prophecy, but excited to learn more and more.  It is especially exciting when I see the consistancy of God's character with the scriptures.  My personal relationship with Him, and desiring to love Him with my all...opens up so much more understanding.  I truly appreciate it, and praise the Lord for working through those who likewise desire to be glorifying and pleasing to Him....and take what they teach very seriously before Him!  Yes, it is very exciting when I recognize God's wondrous character in what is being taught.  Thank you, Alan...and awaiting the next lesson.

• Members

I too enjoy the study of prophecy.

As I read the Old Testment prophets and their prophecies concerning the work of the Messiah and see the fulfillment in the life of Christ in the New Testament, I know that God will fulfill His word as He has promised.

Furthermore, as I read the prophecies of the Old Testament concerning the end times it strengthens my heart in knowing that God will fulfill all of the words of the prophets in His appointed time.

God knows exactly what He is doing, with whom He is going to do it, and how He will accomplish it. The scriptures tell us what God has done, what He is doing now, and what He will do in the future. As we learn how to properly interpret the prophecies of the prophets we can see the plan of God unfolding.

Among the work at the church, I am in the process of finishing the initial draft (in Chinese), of a series of lessons that I did on the, "Biblical Tongues of the Holy Spirit." The draft of those lessons will eventually be my next book and has taken a huge amount of my time.

I will do the next lesson in Zechariah next week.

Alan 

Edited by Alan

• Members
On ‎2015‎年‎9‎月‎13‎日 at 8:06 PM, Alan said:

Lesson # 13: Zechariah 9:10 tells us how far the dominion will cover.

Brethren,

I will be uploading the next lesson on Zechariah 9:10  in a day or two. Be sure to read Zechariah 9:9 closely and its fulfillment in Christ and His triumphful entry into Jerusalem in order to get the complete context of Zechariah 9:10

God bless!

Alan  

• Members

Lesson # 13 

Zechariah 9:10, “The Breadth of the Kingdom.”

Zechariah 9:10, “And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.”

Zechariah has been proclaiming throughout the book the prophecies of the nation of Israel in his own generation and in the generations to come.  This includes prophecies concerning the nation of Israel and fulfilment thereof immediately after the captivity and in the future.

Overview of Zechariah Chapter 9:1-10

For example, in Chapter 9:1-8 the prophet Zechariah is prophesying concerning the nations and cities surrounding Israel that will be fulfilled during, or after, the Babylonian Captivity: Hadrach, Damascus, Hamath, Tyrus, Zidon, Ashkelon, Gaza, Ekron, Tyre, and Ashkelon.

Zechariah 9: 9 and 10 are future prophetic prophesies concerning the Messiah, the Lord Jesus, as the coming king and His kingdom on the earth.

The Context of Zechariah 9:10

Concerning the prophecy of Zechariah 9:10, we need to know who Zechariah is referring to when he says, “he shall speak peace unto the heathen,” and whose, “dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.” Once we know whom Zechariah is referring to we can easily discover whom Zechariah is referring to in Zechariah 9:10 and if the prophecy was fulfilled after the Babylon Captivity, at the Crucifixion of Christ, symbolically during the Church Age, or literally during the 1000 Year Reign of the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as revealed in Revelation 20:4-7

The answer to whom the prophet Zechariah is referring to is clearly given in Zechariah 9:9, “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”

The Literal, Word for Word, Fulfillment of Zechariah 9:9

The prophecy of Zechariah was fulfilled in the Lord Jesus Christ when He entered Jerusalem just prior to His Crucifixion on the Cross of Calvary. Matthew 24:1-11 gives us the fulfillment of Zechariah 9:9 and clearly tells us who Zechariah is referring to when he states, “he shall speak peace unto the heathen,” and whose “dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.”

Matthew 24:1-11 records, “And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find and ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me. And if any man say aught unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them, and straightway he will send them. All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, Tell the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy king cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass. And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them, And brought the ass, and the colt, and put them on them thereon. And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way. And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord;

The prophecy of the king of Israel was not fulfilled in Israel after the Babylonian Captivity or in the dispensation of the Old Testament. There is no symbolism in the prophecy of Zechariah 9:9 The Lord Jesus literally fulfilled the prophecy of Zechariah 9:9 when He rode in the city of Jerusalem on the donkey. The Lord Jesus is the King that Zechariah is referring too.

The Literal, Word for Word, Fulfillment of Zechariah 9:10

The Prophet Zechariah continued his prophecy of the Messiah in verse 10, “And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem and the battle bow shall be cut off …”

The Feast of the Fowls

In the Old Testament, before modern warfare force and technology, the horse and chariot was the military fighting force of the nations of the Middle East.

The king that Zechariah prophecies about will first “cut off” the military capabilities of Ephraim, Jerusalem and then the rest of the military capabilities of the world. This prophecy was not fulfilled in the days after the Babylonian Captivity nor after the resurrection of Christ, or, in any sense of the word, during the dispensation of the Church, and most certainly not during the 7-Year Tribulation Period. This, “cutting off,” is fulfilled when the Lord Jesus returns as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS as written in Revelation 19:11-21 in preparation of His 1000 Year Reign as depicted in Revelation 20:4-7

In Revelation 19:19-21 we can read of the last battle between the forces of Satan and his armies and the forces of the Lord Jesus and His armies.  “And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army, And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. And the remnants were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.” Revelation 19:19-21

A more thorough study of the, “Feast of the Fowls,” that depicts the, “cutting off,” of the rebellious armies of the world is located in the Revelation Chapter 19-21 Study:

The King will bring Peace to His Kingdom on the Earth

“… and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: …” The King that Zechariah prophecies of will bring peace to the heathen nations of the world. After the, “cutting off,” of the anti-Christ, and his armies, as prophesied by Zechariah and revealed in Revelation 19:17-21, the Lord Jesus will bring global peace to the nations of the earth.

The prophet Isaiah prophesied, “And he shall judge among many nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war no more.” Isaiah 2:4

After the Babylonian Captivity, the Jews did not have this peace that Zechariah and Isaiah prophesied.

During the Church Age, the saints have not had the peace that the prophet Zechariah and Isaiah foretold. In fact, the Lord Jesus clearly told His disciples, “Think not that I came to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against his mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.” Matthew 10:34-36

The Lord Jesus clearly stated that He did not come to send peace on this earth during His ministry on the earth or in the days of His disciples.

The Kingdom of God throughout the Ages

The Lord Jesus taught, “And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! Or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” Luke 17:20 & 21

The Pharisees lived and breathed in the ceremonies of the Law, but they forgot the salvation that the Law pointed too. The Kingdom of God is entered by the New Birth and not by a religious ceremony. The Lord Jesus explained to Nicodemus, “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”  John 3:3. The Pharisees, and a host of other lost religious people, are walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit.

“For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.” Romans 14:17

The Kingdom of God comes to a person at the moment of salvation. At the moment of salvation the individual is made righteous in the sight of God, obtains eternal life, and peace in the heart. The Lord Jesus gave every saint a promise, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

A Prayer

The Lord Jesus did not come to send peace on this earth during the Church Age. Furthermore, the Lord Jesus taught His disciples to pray, “They kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10. The Christian is to pray that the kingdom of God will one day come to the earth as the Prophet Zechariah, Isaiah, and the other prophets of the Old Testament, prophesied.

Therefore, the prophecy of Zechariah will remain unfulfilled as long as the church dispensation is in force; i.e., the Times of the Gentiles.

During the Tribulation Period, and during the war as prophesied in Revelation 20:7-10, the prophecy of Zechariah and Isaiah are unfulfilled.

The prophecy of global peace among the nations of the world as proclaimed in Zechariah 9:10 will be fufilled during the 1000 Year Reign of the KING OF KING AND LORD OF LORDS as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

The King will have a kingdom

“… and his dominion …” A dominion is a kingdom. In the days following the Jews return from the Babylonian Captivity, the Lord Jesus did not reign as King over Israel. Furthermore, even among the Jewish remnant, there was never a Jewish King in the nation of Israel from the Babylonian Captivity up to the current date (unless one desires to argue the point that the “President,” of the current Jewish nation is a, “King.”) At this point I will consider that a debate for others to consider.

In the days that the Lord Jesus walked on this earth in the land of Israel during His earthy ministry, He did not reign as king. In fact, we are told expressly that when He was offered to be reign as King over Israel he steadfastly refused. “When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.” John 6:15

During the earthly ministry of the Lord Jesus He plainly stated that He came to bear a cross: not a crown, in order to die for the sins of mankind. Matthew 16:21, “From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.” The Lord Jesus stated that His disciples should also carry a cross and not a crown.  Matthew 16:24, “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”

Therefore, the kingdom of the Lord Jesus as spoken by Zechariah 9:10 was not fulfilled during the ministry of the Lord Jesus while He ministered on the earth and is not fulfilled in the Church Age, as we are to bear a cross and not a crown.

The Kingdom will be Literal

Matthew 8:11 “And I say unto you, that many shall come from the east and from the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.”

The Lord Jesus stated, “Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they shall see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” Luke 16:28. Immediately after saying these words, the Lord Jesus was transfigured and men saw His Kingly glory.  The Transfiguration, Matthew 17:1-13, is a preview of the kingdom on the earth.

The Breadth of the Kingdom

“… shall be from sea to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.” The breadth of the Millennial Kingdom will be from, “sea to sea,” and from the River Jordan to the ends of the earth.

The prophet Zechariah further states, “And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.” Zechariah 14:9

When the Jews returned to Israel after Babylonian Captivity, they did not have a king, a dominion, nor did the territory of Israel extend, “from sea to sea.”

The borders of Israel when they became a State in May 1948, and up to this day, do not extend, “from sea to sea.” Therefore, the prophecy of Zechariah is unfulfilled to this day.

When will the prophesy of the Kingdom in Zechariah 9:10 be Fulfilled?

The Lord Jesus told us with His own lips when Zechariah 9:10 will be fulfilled. “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” Matthew 23:37-39. See also Luke 13:31-35

To this day, the house of Israel is desolate. God is not with the Jewish nation as a whole and, for the most part, the nation of Israel is walking in the Flesh and not in the Spirit.

The Prophet Zechariah prophesied of the time of the national repentance of the nation of Israel in Zechariah 12:10-14. “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his own son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.” Zechariah 12:10

At that time, all Israel will be saved. “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.” Romans 11:26

Therefore, we can conclude that the prophecy of Zechariah 9:10 has not been fulfilled to this day and will not be fulfilled until the Lord Jesus reigns on the earth as depicted in Revelation 20:4-6, “… and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” Revelation 20:4b and, “… but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.” Revelation 20:6b

Edited by Alan
miss-quoted John 6:15 & Matt. 16:21 grammer (twice) changed 12 to 13

• Members

There were three things that especially stood out to me in this lesson:  1.  Jesus made Himself of no reputation to come down to bear a cross - and at that time, not a crown.    2.  there has not been a "king" (that title) since after the Babylonian captivity (didn't realize that before)   3.  the glorious picture of the Transfiguration and the change that is to come to us!    These 3 things are really a blessing for me to ponder on!  Thank you again, Alan!

• Administrators

This is a fine exposition concerning The Kingdom Alan. I have not posted in your study to date, but have been reading it.

In studying your conclusions I was reminded that some, like the JW's will go to great lengths and violently wrest Scripture to prove that their view of the Kingdom is correct. Since they believe that the Kingdom is here now, they have to invent ridiculous schemes to try to prove their flawed reasoning.

The best they can come up with is that Jesus has already returned in 1914. To any that point out that Jesus is not ruling on the earth today, they put forth the ridiculous argument that he is reigning invisibly from Heaven.

Thanks again Alan, this study is encouraging and edifying. 

• Members

WellWithMySoul,

The beauty of the Old Tesament prophetical books is the prophetic knowledge of the work, character, and  glory of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am very happy that you, and others, notice these wonderful truths concernig the Lord Jesus in these lessons.

Jim Alaska,

I am very glad to hear that the lessons are encouraging and edifying to you and I am sure to others.

You are very correct in your observation of the twisiting of the kingdom prophecies by the Jehovah Witnesse's. Some of the beliefs of the JW,' and other religious denominations, are very far from the truth. Maybe, just maybe, I, or somebody else, may bring out some of their erroniousness beliefs as a comparison to the truth. So far I have been hesitant as there is a False Doctrine thread.

Any comments, thoughts, or questions, concerning the lessons that you would like to bring out would be a welcome addition to these lessons. I am sure your insight will be a blessing to all of us.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lesson 14

Zechariah 12:9-14, “The Mourning of the House of Israel.”

Verse 9-14, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; The family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart; All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart.”

“And it shall come to pass in that day …”

All of the promises, covenants, and words of God will come to pass at the appointed time that God has decreed in His own mind.

In Zechariah chapter 12 and 13, the phrase, “that day,” occurs eight times in reference to the fulfillment of the prophecies of these chapters; 12:3, 4, 6, 8 and 11; 13:1, 2 and 4

“that day,” is a reference to the end times when God stops the captivity of the nation of Israel from the Gentile nations of the world and restores the Kingdom to Israel forever henceforth. “For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all nations, and I will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.” Joel 3:1 and 2

“… that I will seek to destroy all nations that come against Jerusalem.”

God has not yet destroyed all the nations that have come against Jerusalem. I will give two examples from scripture to prove that  up to this time God has not fulfilled this prophecy.

In the book of Daniel we will see example number one. The prophet Daniel foretells of the ‘fourth beast’ or kingdom, that is comprised of ten kingdoms that are yet to come that has not yet been destroyed. “After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a forth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns.” Daniel 7:7  

In the book of Ezekiel we will see example number two. In Ezekiel 38:1-7 we see a list of countries allied together (with their “bands” or allied  territories); Meshech and Tubal, Persia, Ethiopia, Libya, Gomer, and  Togarmoh. None of these countries (with their allied territories), has God destroyed as yet.

Furthermore, in the book of Revelation the anti-Christ will persuade the nations of the world to rise up and destroy the Jews in Israel. Therefore, the prophecy the God has destroyed the nations that has come against Israel was not fulfilled after the return of the Jews to Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity, after the resurrection of Christ, during the Church Age, including  to this day and is still yet future.

The destruction of the nations that come against Jerusalem occurs in Revelation 19:11-21 “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” Revelation 19:15 “that with it he should smite the nations: …” is the fulfillment of Zechariah 12:9

Please see my study in Revelation Chapter 19-22 for a more thorough study of the fulfillment of Zechariah 12:9 and Revelation 19:11-21 and 20:7-10

http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23115-revelation-chapter-19-22-study/?page=3

Preterism and Symbolism

In this lesson, I will use the definition of, “Preterism” and “Symbolism” as defined by Charles M. Laymon in his work, “The Book of Revelation.” Charles Laymon is a classic Preterist and I will use Laymon’s definition as he defines it. This approach will preclude any person from stating that I have miss-interpreted Charles Laymon, and his preterist teachings, on the interpretation of the book of Revelation.

Charles Laymon states: “Then there is the preterist approach that interprets its [Revelation] passages primarily in terms of the destruction of Jerusalem and the fall of the Roman Empire. … Finally there is the symbolical approach. This view suggests that the eternal principles of the prophecies should be deduced and then applied to the ongoing issues of life. This includes such matters as the struggle of righteousness with evil, the fact and nature of judgment, and the final state of the faithful in a life of beatific blessedness. In ascertaining the eternal principle that the book contains, its various symbols and forms are analyzed and interpreted. To the extent that symbols and myth are related, this may be referred to as a demythologizing process.”[1]

Charles Laymon states the preterist accurately. The preterist believes that the book of Revelation is a record of the history from the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD, i.e., the Church Age, and is not prophetic.

The preterist does not interpret the symbolism in the book of Revelation according to the Old Testament, but to the preterist the symbolism in the book of Revelation is to be interpreted as an individual, or the churches, issues of life. To the preterist, the Old Testament prophets and the symbolism therein, is only to be used when it applies to them as a Christian or to the Church in general. 

To set the record straight, Charles Laymon further states, “My own approach in these pages is based upon an adaptation of the preterist and the symbolical methods. The passages in the Revelation are interpreted first of all in relation to their immediate background in the time of the emperor Domitian (A.D. 81-96), both literary and historical. Then their message, in principle, for all time is suggested.”[2]

Charles Laymon, as most preterists’ and partial preterists’, interprets that book of Revelation as an historical account based on the history as it develops in the Church Age. The preterist does not believe that the prophecies of the Old Testament prophets are to be applied to the nation of Israel.

Furthermore, according to the preterist, the prophecies of the Old Testament prophets given to the Jews are, by and large, ignored, or applied to the individual in the Church Age or to the Roman Catholic Church. The Preterist, whether he admits it or not, practices Replacement Theology.

In our current lesson, Charles Laymon states the prophecies of the prophets, such as Zechariah 12:9-14, are just a dream of the Hebrews and that the millennium is a Christian theme. “Among the Hebrews there had long been the hope of the coming of God’s kingdom on earth. The dreams of a messianic age and the day of the Lord had prepared the people to expect a special time of God’s visitation when the nation’s enemies would be put down and her national glory extended.”[3]

To Charles laymon, and the preterist, the prophecy of Zechariah 12:9, “that I will seek to destroy all nations that come against Jerusalem” is just a Hebrew dream. To state that the prophecies  concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel is just a ‘Hebrew dream’ is a dis-belief of the word of God and a maligning of the Hebrew race.

Charles Laymon further states concerning the Old Testament prophets, “They laid the background for John’s portrayal of the millennium, perhaps even suggesting it to him. But he was personally inspired as to its truth and transformed it into a Christian theme with Christ and the martyrs at its center.”[4]

Charles Laymon believes that Zechariah 12:9 is just a “suggestion” and that John the Apostle was inspired to transform the promises given to the Hebrews to the Christian. That is the doctrine of Replacement Theology. The doctrine of Replacement Theology transforms, or replaces, the promises given to the Jews to the Church.

The ignoring of Zechariah 12:9, and of the other prophecies of the Old Testament prophets given directly to the Jews, is totally ignored, or maligned, by Charles Laymon and given to the church. Replacement Theology is evident in Laymon’s, “The Scheme of Events in the Apocalypse” chart.

“The Scheme of Events in the Apocalypse” Chart Number IV

By Charles Laymon[5]

9k=

Photo by Alan

The chart clearly ignores anything to do with the nation if Israel, the church replaces Israel, and there are no prophecies of the Old Testament mentioned. Also, Laymon uses the corrupt Revised Standard Version of the Bible and replaces ‘Hell’ with ‘Hades.’

The doctrine of Preterism and Replacement Theology are incorrect and are fables designed to deceive the lost and confuse the saved. The Apostle Peter stated that the private interpretations of the doctrines of the scriptures and the false prophecy of the scriptures are, “cunningly devised fables.” 2 Peter 1:17

Please study 2 Peter 1:16-21, and the work of false prophets and teachers, as recorded in 2 Peter Chapter 2.

“And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: …”

“the spirit of grace,” or ‘mercy,’ was the one characteristics that the nation of Israel lacked in the days of the Lord Jesus when He walked among His brethren.  “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise, and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” Matthew 23:23

One of the primary reasons for the 7 Year Tribulation Period is to bring the Hebrew race to the place where they understand their need for the Messiah, have a heart belief in God and his Son the Lord Jesus, and trust in His mercy and grace for the salvation of the soul.

At the time of mourning of the nation of Israel the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:1-9 will come to pass. “They shall come with weeping and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.” Jeremiah 31:9

Grace, Mercy and the Heart

In 2 Corinthians chapter 3 the Apostle Paul goes to great length, with several examples, to explain to the Corinthian believers the need to trust in the Spirit; in the fleshly tables of the heart, and not in tables of stone and the works of our own flesh governed by a mind of pride. When a person trusts in his own works for salvation then he is not trusting from his heart in the grace and mercy of God. God told the Hebrews, “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever!” Deuteronomy 5:29

“Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshly tables of the heart.” 2 Corinthians 3:3

The vast majority of the Hebrew race is trusting in their works written in stone and not in a heart belief in the grace and mercy of God in Christ. The Hebrew race has a heart problem that one day God will cure. All of the problems of eternal life in heaven, and life here on this earth, are determined by the heart; not some religious ceremony or work. “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” Proverbs 4:23

The Apostle Paul further stated that one day the Hebrew race, as one nation, will turn to the Lord Jesus with their heart for salvation and service. The Apostle Paul stated in 2 Corinthians 3:15 and 16, “But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it [the heart] shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.”

According to Paul the Apostle, and the prophet Zechariah, one day the various tribes of Israel will turn to the Lord with all of their heart.

The prophecy of the Lord pouring out the spirit of grace and supplications to the tribe of David, and the other various tribes of Israel, has not been fulfilled. This prophecy of Zechariah will start its fulfillment during the 7 Year Tribulation Period and end at the conclusion of the 7 Year Tribulation Period.

“and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

The prophet Zechariah is clearly referring to the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus was pierced in His side while on the Cross of Calvary for the sins of mankind. The Lord Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God, the firstborn of God, and the Son of Man. 

The Apostle John quotes Zechariah 12: 11, “And again another scripture saith, they shall look on him whom they pierced.” John 19:37

The prophet Zechariah gives us further information of what would happen when the Lord reveals Himself to the nation of Israel. “And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.” Zechariah 13:6

A Conjecture on the Appearance of Christ to the Jews in the Tribulation Period

It seems to me, that the Lord Jesus will make a personal appearance to the Jews during the second half of the 7 Year Tribulation Period. This special appearance to the house of Israel will probably occur while the Jews are fleeing the anti-Christ in Revelation 12:1-17 As Moses lead the children of Israel during the wilderness, it is my belief that the Lord Jesus will lead the fleeing Jews in the wilderness.

In Amos 8:8 and 9 we read of the prophecy of the latter half of the Tribulation Period. In Amos 8:10 we read these words, “And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.” The prophecy of Amos in Amos 8:10 is a clear reference to the mourning of the Israel and the appearance of the Lord Jesus as revealed to Zechariah in 12:9-14.

Revelation 1:7

“Behold, he cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, amen.” Revelation 1:7

The prophecy of the coming of the Lord Jesus in Revelation 1:7 is a clear reference to the coming of Christ in Revelation 19:11-21. It is not a reference to the coming of the Lord Jesus for the church.

In Revelation 1:7 all of the kindreds of the earth see the physical appearance of the Lord Jesus. 

When the Lord Jesus comes for the church, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, only the saved saints will see the Lord Jesus; the nations of the earth do not see Him.

When the Lord Jesus comes for the church as recorded in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, it is a time of comfort. When the Lord Jesus comes as recorded in Revelation 19:11-21 it is a time of wailing.

“And the land shall mourn, every family apart; the family of the house of David apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Nathan apart, and their wives apart; the family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; The family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart; All the families that remain, every family apart, and their wives apart.”

At the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem in 70 AD, the records of the tribal linage of the Jews were destroyed. Since that time, the Jews have not been able to trace the lineage of their tribe. At the beginning of the 7 Year Tribulation Period, God will reveal to the Jews the tribal linage: Revelation 7:1-8

The Preterist Position on Revelation 7:1-8

Charles Laymon, and the preterist, does not believe that the twelve tribes mentioned in Revelation 7:1-8 are literally the twelve tribes of Israel. Charles Laymon nowhere in his commentary on Revelation makes mention of Zechariah 12:10-14. Therefore, I will have to make the obvious conclusion, the preterist does not believe that the prophecy of Zechariah 12:10-14 can be literal. Concerning Revelation 7:4-8, Charles Laymon states, “Although there probably is a Hebrew source for this reference to the twelve tribes, it is used here in regard to the faithful in the Christian church which the New Testament views as the Israel of God. That these tribes are not to be taken literally is evident from the fact that one tribe, Dan, is omitted and that Joseph and Manasseh overlap since the latter comprises part of the former. Accordingly, R. H. Charles concludes that the 144,000 belong to the spiritual, not to the literal, Israel. All peoples and nations make up this group.”[6] 

“Although there is probably a Hebrew source for this reference to the twelve tribes,” is a dis-belief that God inspired the write the prophecies to Israel. Laymon ignores Zechariah 12:9-14 in its entirety.

Charles Laymon, R. H. Charles, and the preterist, are mistaken. As mentioned before, the preterist replace the Hebrew race, Israel, with the Church; this is the doctrine of Replacement Theology. They ignore the prophecy of Zechariah 12:10-14, ignore the fact that Dan was omitted from the list due to the fact that when the tribe went into idolatry, Judges 18:30 & 31, they were under the curse of Deuteronomy  13:6-11 and 29:18, and the fact that Joseph and Manasseh overlap is not of any serious consequence.

A Time of Mourning for the Nation of Israel

The prophet Zechariah is very clear in his prophecy. The various tribes of Israel will mourn for their sins, the sins of their fathers and have a national heart of repentance and sorrow for their heart of unbelief.

The words of Paul the Apostle will be fulfilled to the nation of Israel when he wrote these words, “For godly sorrow worketh repenteth to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.” 2 Corinthians 7:10

Jonah, and the National Salvation of Nineveh, as a Type of Israel

In Jonah 3:1-10 we read of the salvation of the whole city of Nineveh through the preaching of one man, the prophet Jonah. Jonah is a type of Christ: Matthew 12: 38-41. “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” Matthew 12:40

As Jonah preached the message of salvation, the Ninevites, from the King to the lowest individual, repented, and then mourned for their sins.

One day, the whole nation of Israel, will repent of their sins, trust in the Lord Jesus as their Messiah, and mourn for their sins as Zechariah clearly foretells.

The prophecy of Zechariah, the words of Paul the apostle, and the typology of the prophet Jonah, has not been fulfilled in the church age.

Therefore, the only possible time for the prophecy of Zechariah 12:12-14 to be fulfilled is after God reveals to the Jews their ancestral linage to the Jews during the time of the 7 Year Tribulation Period.

[1] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 8

[2] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 8

[3] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 128-129

[4] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 129

[5] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 161

[6] Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 105.

Edited by Alan
grammer and scripture reference deleted last name