• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

is Bluegrass worldly V2

• Members

We have an evangelist here with his family who plays in a bluegrassy style.

I think they take a lot of the MKaymey's Songs and rework them. (I think the Mkameys style is pretty worldly)

Do you think Bluegrass is worldly in the same way that Rock music is?

Why or Why Not?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I grew up in the blue ridge mountains and blue grass was the music of choose in most of the IFB churches years ago.my dads family played blue grass gospel 60 years ago and produced several albums which many of the songs where played in the churches and gospel radio stations at that time.dads family did a lot hymns many had no music and the ones that had music was done gracefully to honor the Lord. But back then this part of the country was still the bible belt and blue grass gospel was part of the culture. Over the years its become worldly .i remember Earl Scurggs playing with my uncles and dad until he went worldly my uncle James played guitar on the radio with Jimmy Rodgers when he moved to Ashville N.C in the 1930s they played gospel music for a while until Jimmy Rodgers moved fully to his worldly music and begin to influence alot of the blues gras musicians with country music . Brother I've been playing the guitar for over 50 years and 20 of those years I played for Satan . Today music is not big part of my life other then songs I write once in a while for the Lord which are personally to him I will everyday sing to the lord many times what comes from my heart and hymns I know well personally to the lord I feel this is more important then listening to music all day because I love my savior and its brings joy to my heart. Not that I'm against listening to gospel hymns on the radio its just my way of doing things. I enjoyed your song you posted I know said your vocals wasn't great but our Lord enjoyed it I m sure that's all that's what's important.is loving Him from our hearts.

God bless brother

• Members

As long as worldly lyrics are kept out of it, bluegrass is just fine. . There are a some "non-gospel" songs which are clean and I've written a few. You can sing about love (the Song of Solomon is a love song) and keep it pure . You can also sing comedy stuff and keep those clean as well.  But I quickly lose respect for any bluegrass musician who "takes his hat off" to sing a gospel song then turns right around and sings about things like murder, drinking liquor, prison, illicit affairs or "my baby done broke my heart and left me and run off with somebody else". This is the main reason I don't go to Bluegrass festivals. I have played on stage at a couple but don't care to go to them anymore. I don't want anything to do with bar rooms, why would I want to hear their bar-room lyrics?

As far as instruments go, pianos are used in rock and country-western music. They've been in bars for many years as well. It's not so much the instrument or instruments that are wrong: it's the intent of the musician. When you're playing and singing ask yourself; "am I doing this to lift the name of Jesus up and to bless His people"? But having said that, I can't see how an electric guitar with fuzz, wah, or other distortion effects and a wild drum beat in the background can lift up Jesus.

A good friend of mine is also a Bluegrass aficionado and goes to the festivals and jam sessions; I've been to many at his home. He plays guitar and sings hundreds of songs and hymns with a band full of instruments.  But he is a long-time member of a Primitive Baptist church which has no music in their services; I'm still scratching my head on that one. Maybe they do that to avoid controversy that goes with it?

• Members

also brother, bluegrass was inspired by the music of Appalachia with mixed roots of Irish ,Scottish, welsh, and English traditional music, some believe to be a form of american roots music. Bill Monrole is the grandfather of the bluegrass name because of his bands name the blue grass boys. So bluegrass in general is worldly.I'm not sure about bluesgrass gospel but it was played in a lot of the IFB churches I grew up in.think though it was the culture in the blue ridge mountains..

I'm registered in the eastern Cherokee nation as a native American and the radio station on the web site is gospel music. Most of it could considered bluegrass but most has only a guitar with vocals .i listen to a song yesterday called there is a promise land the words to the song was uplifting honoring our Lord .but you will also hear many hymns as well.I speak the Cherokee language and can understand most of the songs on the web site well.most are not in English.most all of the churches that hold to the IFB church sing hymns and this form of music. not as folklore but as their culture of Christian music.

God bless brother

As long as worldly lyrics are kept out of it, bluegrass is just fine. . There are a some "non-gospel" songs which are clean and I've written a few. You can sing about love (the Song of Solomon is a love song) and keep it pure . You can also sing comedy stuff and keep those clean as well.  But I quickly lose respect for any bluegrass musician who "takes his hat off" to sing a gospel song then turns right around and sings about things like murder, drinking liquor, prison, illicit affairs or "my baby done broke my heart and left me and run off with somebody else". This is the main reason I don't go to Bluegrass festivals. I have played on stage at a couple but don't care to go to them anymore. I don't want anything to do with bar rooms, why would I want to hear their bar-room lyrics?

As far as instruments go, pianos are used in rock and country-western music. They've been in bars for many years as well. It's not so much the instrument or instruments that are wrong: it's the intent of the musician. When you're playing and singing ask yourself; "am I doing this to lift the name of Jesus up and to bless His people"? But having said that, I can't see how an electric guitar with fuzz, wah, or other distortion effects and a wild drum beat in the background can lift up Jesus.

A good friend of mine is also a Bluegrass aficionado and goes to the festivals and jam sessions; I've been to many at his home. He plays guitar and sings hundreds of songs and hymns with a band full of instruments.  But he is a long-time member of a Primitive Baptist church which has no music in their services; I'm still scratching my head on that one. Maybe they do that to avoid controversy that goes with it?

Amen brother

• Moderators

Bluegrass is far from being like rock, as it doesn't have the same associations, nor bear any of the fruit. Granted, I don't know that there is much actual completely 'holy' music out there anymore, but some are clearly far worse than others, and rock, and its children, are the worst.

• Moderators

Yes, I was going to mention that I haven't heard of too many bluegrass musicians trashing hotel rooms, getting arrested, or OD'ing on drugs.

Or shooting each other, beating up women, smashing their jugs or fiddles on the stage, and lighting them on fire, encouraging demon worship, biting bats heads off on stage, spew blood from their mouths, swear, curse Jesus, pee on stage or just plain promote New Age and satanic ideas...shall I go on? 

• Members

I grew up in the blue ridge mountains and blue grass was the music of choose in most of the IFB churches years ago.my dads family played blue grass gospel 60 years ago and produced several albums which many of the songs where played in the churches and gospel radio stations at that time.dads family did a lot hymns many had no music and the ones that had music was done gracefully to honor the Lord. But back then this part of the country was still the bible belt and blue grass gospel was part of the culture. Over the years its become worldly .i remember Earl Scurggs playing with my uncles and dad until he went worldly my uncle James played guitar on the radio with Jimmy Rodgers when he moved to Ashville N.C in the 1930s they played gospel music for a while until Jimmy Rodgers moved fully to his worldly music and begin to influence alot of the blues gras musicians with country music . Brother I've been playing the guitar for over 50 years and 20 of those years I played for Satan . Today music is not big part of my life other then songs I write once in a while for the Lord which are personally to him I will everyday sing to the lord many times what comes from my heart and hymns I know well personally to the lord I feel this is more important then listening to music all day because I love my savior and its brings joy to my heart. Not that I'm against listening to gospel hymns on the radio its just my way of doing things. I enjoyed your song you posted I know said your vocals wasn't great but our Lord enjoyed it I m sure that's all that's what's important.is loving Him from our hearts.

God bless brother

Bro. EK, I just want to say thank you. I sure do enjoy reading your posts and want you to know how much I appreciate you, your spirit, and your love for our Lord.

I used to play guitar in a rock band. Took up classical guitar for awhile after I was saved; however, I haven't played a guitar in years and years now...probably over 20 years...I completely lost interest in it for some reason. I'm sure I could still play, but it sure would hurt with no callouses on my fingers anymore.  :huh:

• Members

Or shooting each other, beating up women, smashing their jugs or fiddles on the stage, and lighting them on fire, encouraging demon worship, biting bats heads off on stage, spew blood from their mouths, swear, curse Jesus, pee on stage or just plain promote New Age and satanic ideas...shall I go on? 

No...that will suffice. :)

• Members

Bro. EK, I just want to say thank you. I sure do enjoy reading your posts and want you to know how much I appreciate you, your spirit, and your love for our Lord.

I used to play guitar in a rock band. Took up classical guitar for awhile after I was saved; however, I haven't played a guitar in years and years now...probably over 20 years...I completely lost interest in it for some reason. I'm sure I could still play, but it sure would hurt with no callouses on my fingers anymore.  :huh:

thank You brother for you kindness ,I feel the same about you my friend ,you have encouraged me many times in many post I love you in my heart as my brother in our Lord and Savoir. God bless my friend

• Members

Styles of music aren't inherently "worldly", anymore than firearms themselves are violent or evil.

People are "worldly".  Similarly, people abuse and misuse their talents for evil and they can use any style they want to do so.

Every time I see your name (Heir of Salvation) I have to sing that.

Anyway, yes various music can be used for good or bad. There was a video going around some time back of a couple playing a hard rock song by AC/DC on their cellos. I once heard a very heavy metal version of Amazing Grace; or at least part of it, I couldn't stand to listen to the whole thing. I've heard both country and bluegrass used with rap and both played to mimic hard rock/heavy metal. Someone was singing vile and obscene lyrics in opera style on a video. There are videos of orchestras playing heavy metal songs.

Is it a fiddle or a violin? That may well depend upon how they use that instrument!

• Members

Every time I see your name (Heir of Salvation) I have to sing that.

Awwww....Thanks! 

I'm adopted in Real Life, and I absolutely LOVE that fact.

The fact that the "only begotten Son" gave up his rightful inheritance so that I might be adopted and a co-heir with Christ!!!!

Rom 8:17

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

In my home State it is ILLEGAL to dis-inherit an adopted Son!  A begotten Son, yes, but, an adopted one, no.

Classical Roman Law, and many medieval legal systems forbade that as well!

My Dad, who is a Lawyer.....KNEW THAT! when he adopted me ^_^  That is, my Earthly Father.....My Heavenly Father knew that as well!

My favorite hymn, incidentally is "Joyful Joyful We adore thee"..

"God our Father, Christ our brother...."  

Here's my favourite rendition, just for your edification!  It would probably be illegal in the U.S. to do this at apublic venue now-a-days. 

• Members

Thank you  Heir of Salvation, for the point you made in your post, that in it’s own subtle way, brings us to the “answer” of the question, asked by this thread.

But as I watched and listened to this video that you attached, another thought came to mind.  “Wow, what a congregation!” Just imagine being able to “Preach” to a large group of people like this.  Just imagine the “altar call”!

Then reality sat in; And I realized that “if” a “real preacher”, preached a real Bible message to this large crowd today: That either he would booed off the stage or there would be a dangerous rush for the exits.

I state this as a fact, because if indeed a congregation of this size, were all born again Christians, that regularly attended a Church where God’s man preached God’s Word: This city they all lived in, would not look like any modern city in the year 2015.  That city would have no gang problems, nor drug problems, nor prostitution or drunkenness problems.  No liquor store would be able to stay in business, in this city and the police department would be working with a skeleton crew.

In other words, if this many people in one city, were totally committed to Christ and growing healthy Christians; Then they would have such an impact upon their community, that a city(of any size), would not be able to withstand, the Gospel message and 98% of the population would get saved.

Which brings me to the sad realization, that most of these nice looking people, that are singing praises to our Lord, might not really know Him and are keeping the sinful industries I mentioned above, in business.

• Members

Heir of Salvation,

Thank you brother for the wonderful and uplifitng song, "Ode to Joy," performed at Royal Albert hall, London.

Heaven must be a wonderful place and the joy of singing before the throne must be wonderful and amazing.

Again, thank you for the uplifting song. Loved it.

Alan