• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

4th of July

• Members

Independence Day...but how many Americans even know what that's all about and what it means?

Has anyone seen some of the videos of Americans being asked questions regarding Independence Day in America and they have no clue what it's about? So many don't even know who America gained independence from, can't name even one signer of the Declaration of Independence, don't know when this occurred, don't seem to know much of anything other than the 4th of July is called Independence Day and they get to celebrate...but they don't know what they are celebrating!

These videos show that it's not just people around here who have no clue about history, their own country, holidays or much of anything else.

Some think we gained our independence in the 1940s or 1960s. Some think we gained our independence from "the south" or that Lincoln signed the Declaration of Independence.

I've spoken with people who actually thought Hitler had been an American president, have no idea who Stalin was, think Reagan was one of the early presidents, have never heard of the Spanish-American War, don't know who fought who or where in WWI, can't name a single Vice President in their lifetime, can't even name who was president during their lifetime, confuse the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution (Bill of Rights) with the 10 Commandments and most can't name more than one or two of either...

Many Americans can quote lines from their favorite movies, retell entire episodes of their favorite TV shows, list the songs on top of the charts, cite statistics from their favorite sport, but delve into anything deeper than that and they are lost.

• Members

I've spoken with people who actually thought Hitler had been an American president, have no idea who Stalin was, think Reagan was one of the early presidents, have never heard of the Spanish-American War, don't know who fought who or where in WWI, can't name a single Vice President in their lifetime, can't even name who was president during their lifetime, confuse the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution (Bill of Rights) with the 10 Commandments and most can't name more than one or two of either...

Not just any Americans.  I heard someone say that they were shocked when the visited the Supreme court (I seem to remember it was there) and a guide said the plaques represented the 10 amendments to the constitution, rather than the 10 commandments,

• Members

Due to the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo I asked around about that. Other than blank stares and wild guesses, the best two answers I received were from older ladies. One thought it must have something to do with a battle with American Indians near a Waterloo, Iowa. The other was very confident that it was all about a hit song from ABBA in the 1970s (their song "Waterloo").

• Members

Independence Day...but how many Americans even know what that's all about and what it means?

Has anyone seen some of the videos of Americans being asked questions regarding Independence Day in America and they have no clue what it's about? So many don't even know who America gained independence from, can't name even one signer of the Declaration of Independence, don't know when this occurred, don't seem to know much of anything other than the 4th of July is called Independence Day and they get to celebrate...but they don't know what they are celebrating!

These videos show that it's not just people around here who have no clue about history, their own country, holidays or much of anything else.

Some think we gained our independence in the 1940s or 1960s. Some think we gained our independence from "the south" or that Lincoln signed the Declaration of Independence.

Many Americans can quote lines from their favorite movies, retell entire episodes of their favorite TV shows, list the songs on top of the charts, cite statistics from their favorite sport, but delve into anything deeper than that and they are lost.

Time to repeal the Declaration of independence - God save the Queen!

• Members

Due to the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo I asked around about that. Other than blank stares and wild guesses, the best two answers I received were from older ladies. One thought it must have something to do with a battle with American Indians near a Waterloo, Iowa

lol Waterloo, Ia.   I didn't know there was such a place. 

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

About 90 miles West of Dubuque, IA off of US 20

There's also a Waterloo in Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois and Georgia (North of Tifton on the Waterloo Hwy)

Never been to Tifton that I can remember.  I will be in Atlanta tomorrow however its going to be a big day.  Big crowds.  Many in need of Salvation I would guess.  Glory to God. 

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

I wonder just how many government officials, bureaucrats, police officers, and other enforcers know what the Fourth of July is all about.

http://thetruthwins.com/archives/72-types-of-americans-that-are-considered-potential-terrorists-in-official-government-documents

If they had a real clue what independence and liberty truly are they would be unwilling to do their jobs as currently required.

The sad fact is, most alive today have no memory of life in America without heavy government interference through laws, regulations and various forms of oppression.

I wish I could remember the name of the report put forth recently showing the results of where the nations stand in regards to actual freedom. The United States was well down the list.

It's a shame so many in America still think this is the most free nation, the best in and at everything when that's no longer true. It's also a shame that so many in America today fall for the liberal view that virtually all of America's past is evil and America is somehow responsible for nearly all the worlds ills.

America isn't what she once was but liberals are turning her into what they falsely claim she used to be.

• Members

All I know is I get to run up and down the street tomorrow in crowds of thousands and thousands hand out tracts.  Preach the good news and no one will say anything.  I can't however go to centennial park the other 4th celebration because it is run by State government.  They don't allow it. For some reason.  However the Big fireworks is at one of the malls.  I'm happy with that one.  Then after that i'll go home and yell at the dog and complain about the weather. 

I actually just had an atheist say that Hitler was Christian in response to me citing what happens when atheists governments get in power.  Hitler a Christian?  That doesn't even make sense.

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

All I know is I get to run up and down the street tomorrow in crowds of thousands and thousands hand out tracts.  Preach the good news and no one will say anything.  I can't however go to centennial park the other 4th celebration because it is run by State government.  They don't allow it. For some reason.  However the Big fireworks is at one of the malls.  I'm happy with that one.  Then after that i'll go home and yell at the dog and complain about the weather. 

I actually just had an atheist say that Hitler was Christian in response to me citing what happens when atheists governments get in power.  Hitler a Christian?  That doesn't even make sense.

Yes, we still have some limited freedom and we should be using even that limited freedom to get the Gospel out while we can in such manner. I pray the Lord will bless the seed you scatter.

Hitler was a "Christian" in that he was a Catholic but he certainly wasn't a Christian in terms of being a biblically born again follower of Christ.

• Members

Yes, we still have some limited freedom and we should be using even that limited freedom to get the Gospel out while we can in such manner. I pray the Lord will bless the seed you scatter.

Hitler was a "Christian" in that he was a Catholic but he certainly wasn't a Christian in terms of being a biblically born again follower of Christ.

Absolutely and the Pope was a Nazi.

About 90 miles West of Dubuque, IA off of US 20

There's also a Waterloo in Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois and Georgia (North of Tifton on the Waterloo Hwy)

WATERLOO is a plumbing suppliers in South East London.

• Members

Oh you bet there John81 I'll be careful of any roadblocks. Thank you.  I like scattering seed.  I'm thinking about getting a big sign for large crowds with salvation verses.   Hitler believed in Arianism and a few other things.  He was a politician appealing to a populist base in a democratic country.  He said a lot of things.  It's kind nonsensical to consider him Christian.  Atheists are liars anyway.  I asked him if he wanted to move to China or North Korea with his atheist brethren.  After all they are atheist countries.  He didn't know what to say obviously so he countered with Hitler was christian.  They say they are reasonable and use reason.  All I have ever seen is pointing the finger right back at someone.  They have no plan they just don't like Christianity and want to get rid of it.  So why not not move where atheism is official. After all that's the kind of government atheism produces.  Instead of sticking around to tear this place down.   I can't help think about the Hebrews wanting a King so God let them have one.  It's the government they wanted way back when. 

Edited by Potatochip