• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

The Biblical support of my position is clear, that God commanded Adam not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and when he ate he disobeyed God and his eyes were opened.  These things are simple and plain in the text.  To say there is no Biblical support for the position that sin in our earthly father began when he disobeyed God in eating the fruit,. knowing that eating was direct and wilful disobedience, is a condescending insult.  Eve was deceived.  Adam knew he was disobeying God when he ate of the fruit.   These statements are so easily shown in the Bible that I don't think I need to quote the OT and NT chapter and verses.   To extend Eve's words which  she ascribed to God back to Adam and say God told Adam not to touch the fruit  and build a doctrine on conversations between Adam, Eve, and God which are not recorded in the Bible is mysticism and not Biblical.  Calvinists do the same kind of scripture wrangling.  This discussion in my thirty years as a Bible believer is honestly the first time I ever saw such mystical mystery doctrinal speculation of the original sin being touching the fruit rather than Adam eating the fruit in direct disobedience to God.  I have before heard some perverted teachings of touching or eating the forbidden fruit being sexualized and don't think such perverted mysticism merits discussion.  I have never had anything more to say in that matter than "that's sick".

The idea that touching the fruit was breaking God's command can only be found in Eve's words and nowhere else in scripture.  I have seen a lot of metaphysical mystical speculations about the meaning of touch and the origin of sin being anything other that the direct disobedience of Adam in eating the fruit.  Why Adam's direct disobedience is ignored while all kinds of mysteriously worded constructs of when sin originated in man is to me a bit disappointing. 

There is no Biblical proof that Eve was not misunderstanding or misquoting something Adam said to her.  All this Greek analysis of "ye" on which to build this mystical doctrine of the first sin being touching the fruit.  The story always seemed simple to me.  I never imagined Christians would complicate this matter so, and I see absolutely no value or importance in believing the first sin was touching the fruit.... and then some have even mystically added to that idea saying the sin was in thinking about touching it.  Adam did not sin until he ate the fruit, and there Is no Biblical support for anything to the contrary.

If God told Eve not to touch the fruit, but then why were her eyes not opened until after Adam ate with her, after Adam directly disobeyed the only command recorded directly from God in the passage?  The serpent coaxed her into eating the fruit saying "in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods".   Satan knew touching the fruit was not enough to plunge her into sin or he would have just grabbed a piece, threw it at her, and nailed her with it.

She remained in deception until Adam ate with her.  Why?  I think some people are jumping to conclusions mistakenly when there are better questions and sounder doctrines in the passage than the implied meaning of "ye" when  Eve was answering the serpent. 

People who applaud the statement that there is no Biblical support for my position maybe need to read their Bible more.

I'm done here.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've often hear it preached (and I've preached it myself) that Eve twisted God's word by adding "neither should they touch" the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

My Bible states in Genesis 2:17 - "But as touching the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for whensoever thou eatest thereof, thou shalt die the death."

See, the text of the KJV is correct when Eve answered the serpent. :D

• 4 years later...
  • Members

“Adam was the first sinner”...

God spoke DIRECTLY to Adam...

NOT Eve...

Genesis 2

15 “And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.”

[  16 “And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat”;  

17 “But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, though shall not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” ]

18 “And the Lord God said, ‘It is not good that the man be alone: I will make him an help meet for him.”

19 “And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.”

20 “And Adam gave names to all cattle, and fowl of the air, and to every beast if the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.”

Ahhhhh...enter 21

21 “And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he [took one of his ribs], and closed up the flesh instead thereof;”

22 “And [the rib], which the Lord God had taken from man, [made he a woman, and brought her unto the man].”

23 “And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”

Sooo when Our Lord God spoke DIRECTLY to Adam COMMANDING “he” not eat of the tree of good and evil...”Eve” was a mere “rib” at the time and the last time I knew a “rib had ears”...was like “never”...

God [never spoke directly to Eve]...had He done so, [His words would be in the Bible]...BUT they are not...

So the only way Eve knew about the tree is [through Adam][whatever] she spoke was ‘learned through Adam’...the added ‘neither shall ye touch it’ 

[doesn’t mean she lied]...it means that it was [her interpretation] through [Adam’s

message] from God.

And we know how the majority of men pass along messages...

(sorry...but it’s true...to pass along an urgent message one has to listen well)

Onto Genesis Chapter 3 

1 “NOW the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, ‘Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?”

2 “And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the garden:”

3 “But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it lest ye die.”

4 “And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:”

5 “For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.”

6 “And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat and

gave also unto her husband WITH HER; and HE DID EAT.

***There was no “lying” until AFTER [they] ate the fruit...lying is evil...EVIL did not enter the picture until AFTER the “sin”***

They did not know they were naked until [after] the sin...

Eve “didn’t bring Adam into it”, Adam was right next to Eve when THIS all went down...

Sooo Adam was right there when the serpent was beguiling Eve...and Adam said NOTHING...[NOTHING]

Adam [should] have chimed in with “NOPE...God commanded ME ‘NO’, we cannot do that”

Adam [DIDN’T] stand up to the serpent and reiterate God’s WORD for WORD command...

Adam [DIDN’T SAY A WORD IN PROTEST]...he just went along, even though God DIRECTLY spoke with him and COMMANDED Adam NOT to...

And what is the FIRST thing Adam does when God confronts him?!

Adam throws Eve under the bus...even though God spoke directly to Adam...when Eve was merely ‘a rib’...

...even though Eve was deceived first by the serpent, the primary responsibility for sin fell on Adam’s shoulders. 

God addressed Adam first, for the sin because He placed Adam ‘in charge’...

Romans 5:12-19

12 Wherefore, as by [one man sin]entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that [all have sinned]:

13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14 Nevertheless death reigned from [Adam]to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of [Adam's transgression], who is the figure of him that was to come.

15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the [offence of one] many be dead, much more the grace of God, and [the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.]

16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: [for the judgment was by one to condemnation], but the [free gift is of many offences] unto justification.

17 For if by [one man's offence] death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore as by the [offence of one] judgment [came upon all men] to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19 For as by [one man's disobedience] many were made sinners, so by the [obedience of one shall many be made righteous.]

So congregations need to STOP preaching that “Eve twisted God’s word and lied” because THAT’S [an interpretation] of the Bible...[by Man]...NOT the word of God! It’s truly a [false statement] as lying is evil and again, EVIL did not enter the picture until AFTER the “sin”...

By continuing to preach this [human interpretation] is just ADDING to the [false teaching] of the Bible...that [continues today] to solely blame Eve...

Adam [initially] failed God and both Adam & Eve failed...and both were held accountable...

Adam also lied first...

The lie was [after] the sin...

When God asked Adam:

Genesis 3

11 “And he said, Who told thee that thou was naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?”

By those words, God gave Adam the opportunity to tell him the truth...but Adam lied...

Adam [ lied by omission ] by saying

12 “And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.”

Adam’s response should have been:

“I was disobedient to your command God, I should have known the serpent was telling a story because his words didn’t match your direct command and I should have reiterated to Eve the dire importance of your command to not eat of the tree of good & evil, lest we die”

Then Eve [ lied by omission ]:

13 “And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.”

[Notice how God “did not” ask Eve, ‘Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?’ because God never spoke directly to Eve because she wasn’t even created at that point]

Eve’s response should have been:

“I was disobedient to Adam and did not heed your command, in which Adam passed along to me, of not eating of the tree of good & evil, lest we die.”

Adam was there when the serpent beguiled Eve...they were together

Genesis 2

25 “They were both naked, the man and his wife and were not ashamed.”

Genesis 3

6 “And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto [ her husband with her ]; and he did eat.”

Adam was there and didn’t say a word...

That is why sin entered the world...Adam disobeyed a direct command that was between he and God.

• Members
On 11/15/2019 at 12:03 AM, Silly Sunshine said:

“Adam was the first sinner”...

This is Biblically inaccurate.  When Eve ate of the fruit, she engaged in the first transgression against God's command.  As such, she is the first human sinner.  2 Timothy 2:14 declares, "And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."  Eve DID eat of the forbidden fruit.  Eve DID commit sin against the Lord God by so eating.  Eve did eat of that fruit and thereby commit sin FIRST.

On the other hand, Eve was NOT the divinely appointed representative for the entire human race.  God had placed this appointment upon Adam as the first man. (See 1 Corinthians 15:45-47)  Thus Romans 5:12 indicates that by the sin of the one/first man Adam (not by the sin of Eve) sin entered the world of mankind, and death by that man's sin.  Indeed, it is "through the offense" of the one/first man Adam that "many be dead." (See Romans 5:15)  Indeed, "the judgment was by one [the first man Adam] to condemnation." (See Romans 5:16)  It is "by one man's offense" that "death reigned by one." (See Romans 5:17)  It is "by the offence of one" that "judgment came upon all men to condemnation." (See Romans 5:18)  It is "by one man's disobedience" that "many were made sinners." (See Romans 5:19)

Sooo when Our Lord God spoke DIRECTLY to Adam COMMANDING “he” not eat of the tree of good and evil...”Eve” was a mere “rib” at the time and the last time I knew a “rib had ears”...was like “never”...

Indeed, when the Lord God presented his command unto Adam in Genesis 2:16-17, He spoke directly to Adam; and at that time Eve was not even yet created.  Even so, the Lord God employed singular pronouns in His command to Adam, saying, "Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

God [never spoke directly to Eve]...had He done so, [His words would be in the Bible]...BUT they are not...

First, there is NO Biblical principle which indicates that if God spoke directly to someone about any given matter, that His quotation about that matter MUST be recorded in Scripture.  That is a human conjecture, NOT a Biblical truth.

Second, Eve herself reported differently than your conclusion.  In Genesis 3:3 Eve delivered what she claimed to be a direct quote from the Lord God, saying, "But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."  It should also be noticed that in her quotation from God, there are TWO significant differences in comparison to the direct command of the Lord God unto Adam as recorded in Genesis 2:16-17.  The first and most obvious difference is the addition, "Neither shall ye touch it."  The second significant difference is her usage of PLURAL pronouns -- "Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."  These plural pronouns within her direct quotation from the Lord God indicate that the Lord God had INDEED spoken this command unto BOTH of them (as a "ye") after Eve was created.

So the only way Eve knew about the tree is [through Adam][whatever] she spoke was ‘learned through Adam’...the added ‘neither shall ye touch it’ 

[doesn’t mean she lied]...it means that it was [her interpretation] through [Adam’s message] from God.

And we know how the majority of men pass along messages...

(sorry...but it’s true...to pass along an urgent message one has to listen well)

First, Eve herself NEVER stated that she learned this command "through Adam" as you claim, nor does any statement of Scripture ever indicate such.  This is simply human conjecture.

Second, Eve herself DID quote the Lord God as speaking His command to the "ye" (plural, as them both).

Third, your declaration concerning "how the majority of men pass along messages" (indicating the need to "listen well" and implying the failure of many men not to "listen well") applies a common failure of sinfully fallen men unto Adam, who at the time was yet in a sinless state.  Such an application is a faulty application.  The characteristics of sinful man CANNOT rightly be applied unto Adam before his first disobedience and sin in eating the fruit.  Before that sinful disobedience his characteristics were faultless, not faulty.

Fourth, your declaration concerning "how the majority of men pass along message" in itself even only encompasses "THE MAJORITY" of men.  It does not encompass ALL men ALL of the time.  Thus you are making an assumption about its application unto Adam for that given case without any Biblical evidence to do so.  Again this is human conjecture.

6 “And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat and gave also unto her husband WITH HER; and HE DID EAT.

***There was no “lying” until AFTER [they] ate the fruit...lying is evil...EVIL did not enter the picture until AFTER the “sin”***

They did not know they were naked until [after] the sin...

Eve “didn’t bring Adam into it”, Adam was right next to Eve when THIS all went down...

Sooo Adam was right there when the serpent was beguiling Eve...and Adam said NOTHING...[NOTHING]

Adam [should] have chimed in with “NOPE...God commanded ME ‘NO’, we cannot do that”

Adam [DIDN’T] stand up to the serpent and reiterate God’s WORD for WORD command...

Adam [DIDN’T SAY A WORD IN PROTEST]...he just went along, even though God DIRECTLY spoke with him and COMMANDED Adam NOT to...

Grammatically, Genesis 3:6 does NOT directly say that Adam was present with Eve throughout the serpent's temptation against her.  Yes, Genesis 3:6 does employ the phrase, "And gave also unto her husband with her."  However, from a grammatical perspective the prepositional phrase "with her" can carry two possible indications.  On the one hand, it could mean -- Who was PRESENT with her.  In this case the prepositional phrase would modify "her husband," indicating his location.  On the other hand, it could mean -- For him TO EAT with her.  In this case the prepositional phrase would modify "and gave," indicating her objective.  How might we choose between these options?

Well, IF Adam was present "with her" throughout the temptation (as you indicate above), then indeed "Adam said nothing," and did not "stand up to the serpent and reiterate God's Word for word command," and did not "say a word in protest."  Then indeed Adam "SHOULD HAVE chimed in with 'Nope . . . God commanded me NO, we cannot do that."  Yet IF Adam was present and SHOULD HAVE done something that he did not do, then THIS was his first sin.  Not doing something that one SHOULD do in the sight of God IS a sin.  YET God's Holy Word NEVER attributes such a sin to Adam, but ALWAYS indicates that his first sin was partaking of the fruit.  According to God's Holy Word, Adam's first sin was partaking of the forbidden fruit, NOT failing to be a good husband unto his wife.  As for myself, I will NOT accuse Adam of a sin that God's own Word does not accuse him of.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe that Eve did add to the word of God.  Whether it was deliberately or not, she did add to the word of God.

Genesis 2: 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. 

Genesis 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

The Lord God word is then reiterated when Adam hides from the presence of the Lord God because he was naked.  God does not mention anything about touching the tree.

Genesis 3:11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

As pointed in an earlier post 2 Timothy 2:14.  Eve was in the transgression and supports what  is told in Genesis chapter 3.  The difference between Eve and Adam was that she was deceived and Adam was not deceived this also supports Genesis chapter 3.   This is also the first instance of the blame game.  Adam sounds like because God gave him the woman it was part of the problem.  

2 Timothy 2:14 Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Genesis 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

Genesis 3:13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat. 

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Adam was the head of the house and  because he was married to Eve and cleaved to her  they were one flesh.  The eyes of both were opened after Adam ate because of his position as the husband.   It also explains why they were both called Adam by God.  Adam gives Eve her name.

Genesis 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; 2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Genesis 3:20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

Don't get me wrong even though Eve was in the transgression it is because of Adam's transgression that sin and death came into the world.  Thank God for the second Adam.  JESUS CHRIST!

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 

Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
so much more righteousness and life by Jesus Christ 

Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) 

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. 

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Romans 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord

• Members

It may be that Eve added to the word of God. But the standard consensus of folks on here, including myself, is scripture says that deliberately adding to the word of God constitutes sin in and of itself. But that was never listed as Eve's sin. In fact, since it happened before the fall, it obviously wasn't considered sin at all by God. Nowhere in scripture, either at the time of the fall or as a later warning to the church, does God ever address the issue of Eve adding to the word of God. So I guess my position on this subject would be to caution the brethren on getting pulled into lengthy debates and mild contentions on an instant of time that God himself doesn't consider important enough to address. We weren't there, the content of the written record of the event that God has chosen to reveal to us is very, very thin, and conjectures are endless.

Edited by weary warrior

• Members
40 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

It may be that Eve added to the word of God. But the standard consensus of folks on here, including myself, is scripture says that deliberately adding to the word of God constitutes sin in and of itself. But that was never listed as Eve's sin. In fact, since it happened before the fall, it obviously wasn't considered sin at all by God. Nowhere in scripture, either at the time of the fall or as a later warning to the church, does God ever address the issue of Eve adding to the word of God. So I guess my position on this subject would be to caution the brethren on getting pulled into lengthy debates and mild contentions on an instant of time that God himself doesn't consider important enough to address. We weren't there, the content of the written record of the event that God has chosen to reveal to us is very, very thin, and conjectures are endless.

And that wisdom from the "Ornery Agitator." ?

• Members

The word touch is what is called a a synecdoche. Touch is a part meaning to represent the whole concept of consumption.

For example in the Bible the word “touch” is used by God when telling a pagan king that he did not allow him to take Abrahams wife.

1 Cor 7:1 is a good example of where this concept of touch is used to represent the partaking of a sexual union with someone.

To give a modern day example. If you bake a pie and put it on the table to cool off and tell your kids “dont touch this pie until after dinner” you may be using the word “touch” to represent the concept of eating or consuming.

https://literarydevices.net/synecdoche/

• 3 months later...
  • Members

We don't know exactly what God said to Eve. But we know God punished her for DISOBEYING it, not altering it. It was ole Sneaky Snake who flat-out lied & contradicted it by telling Eve she would NOT die from eating the fruit.

• Members
7 hours ago, robycop3 said:

We don't know exactly what God said to Eve. But we know God punished her for DISOBEYING it, not altering it. It was ole Sneaky Snake who flat-out lied & contradicted it by telling Eve she would NOT die from eating the fruit.

We do know, because God's word tells us (through Eve's testimony) of what he said.

• Members
47 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

We do know, because God's word tells us (through Eve's testimony) of what he said.

No, it doesnt. God's word tells us what Eve said that God said. The 2 are not the same. We have record all through scripture of things people are saying that God said, or did, that wasnt true. 

• Members
1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

32 minutes ago, weary warrior said:

No, it doesnt. God's word tells us what Eve said that God said. The 2 are not the same. We have record all through scripture of things people are saying that God said, or did, that wasnt true. 

Indeed.

1.  We have a Biblical record of what Eve said that God said.

AND

2.  We have NO Biblical indicator that Eve got it wrong.
(There is no Biblical rebuke of what Eve said about what God said, and there is no Biblical indication that Eve committed any sin in making the claim that she did.)

• Members
36 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed.

1.  We have a Biblical record of what Eve said that God said.

AND

2.  We have NO Biblical indicator that Eve got it wrong.
(There is no Biblical rebuke of what Eve said about what God said, and there is no Biblical indication that Eve committed any sin in making the claim that she did.)

I agree with this assessment 100%. There's no room on either side for dogmatic trouble making. 

• Members
On 3/21/2020 at 6:52 PM, weary warrior said:

14 hours ago, robycop3 said:

Not ACTUALLY. We only have what EVE said to Satan.

If Eve lied, then there was sin before God's word attests that she sinned...

That's what this entire thread is about...because I had always heard what both of you gentlemen have said. 

We only have a small minute (as in miniscule) portion of what the Bible records as to what God told Adam and Eve before they fell. So to say that Eve lied is adding to God's word (in my opinion)...when God's word never denounces Eve for lying.

...but that's my view.