• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I spent around two hours trying to reason face to face with an 84 year old man who was like an atheist but not quite an atheist.  He simply didn't want to believe on a God of Judgment who has the right to condemn by the fire of Hell confining sinners forever.  That discussion was by far the most civil and respectful I have ever had with an atheist.  The man believes he is as good as God, or at least good enough for God, and truly is a pleasant man to spend time with.

It's really sad, he listened well for almost two hours, patiently and attentively as I explained the gospel of God's promise of eternal life for all who admit they are sinners who deserve to burn in Hell forever, believe Jesus is God the Son sent by God the Father to die for their sins and rose from the dead offering them forgiveness, and call on God the Father in the name of the Son to save them from Hell.  "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved".  The sparkly eyed old man who thinks he is so wise and is happy enough in the pride of his wisdom said "I don't want a God who says to one person, you have to burn in Hell forever and to another person, welcome to heaven".   Too bad for the old man that God is who God is and the old man can't have God any other way.  The old man is his own god, and no god is good enough for God.  It's really sad....knowing the terror of the Lord, we persuade men.  I see that old man around town from time to time and it's sad.  

Atheists simply choose to believe Hell is not eternal punishment.   I think that even in Hell, they believe that they will get out of it someway, somehow......and all they can do is scream when they think they are stuck.

Edited by Saintnow

• Members

Hi Rosie!

"doesn't an atheist have to believe in God not to believe in Him"

Of course I would have to say no, but Saintnow seems to have a different opinion as do some others on this site. If you wish to have more questions answered about opinions on atheists, I have started a dedicated thread in The Lounge called "Opinions On Atheists?" if you'd like to check it out.

• Members

Of course you say no, but you know exactly who God is when you say He is not there.  You don't want Him to be there, because you hate Him and you love your sin all the way to death and Hell.  You made that choice, and you can change your mind about it.  The truth is not a matter of opinion.  The truth is, you are talking like you have decided to never admit the truth and it seems to me that God is hardening your heart so it's a waste of time to try to reason with you.

• Members

Hi Saintnow,

You do certainly seem to be spending a lot of time discussing atheism for someone not interested in atheism, but that's just my opinion ;) 

Perhaps we can take this conversation to the previously mentioned dedicated topic so you can explain to me how atheism qualifies as a religion, as I believe we may have overstayed our welcome in this particular thread.

Your choice of course, thanks :) 

• Members

Atheists have one foot in the grave, and one foot on thin ice which is melting over the fire of Hell, and if they don't get saved they are going to end up in the Lake of Fire from which they will never escape and only the smoke of their torments will rise forever.   They can believe God loves them now, in Hell they will never be able to believe God loves them. 

I an interested in God's love, His righteousness, His mercy, His gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ.  Atheism is the religion of fools and is totally disinteresting.  Only a fool is interested in atheism.

• Members

Hi all,

This post is going out to every forum I have commented on. I have come to the conclusion that my presence is most likely unwanted and unappreciated. I came to this forum under the pretenses that I would be able to enjoy serious discussions concerning theological issues rather than simply being told that my motives are suspect, I am a liar, I am filth, etc etc.

I hold no ill will towards anyone here and understand that these are your sincerely held beliefs. Unfortunately, the negative reception I have received makes me all the more reserved in my thoughts about being honest with those who don't know my beliefs.

I hope my presence has not caused any undue secession amongst your ranks and I now respectively depart from this site. I will attempt to delete my account, although a moderator may be required to do that. If this is the case, I ask that it be done.

Good day to all and thank you for the answers I've received.

• Members

Hi all,

This post is going out to every forum I have commented on. I have come to the conclusion that my presence is most likely unwanted and unappreciated. I came to this forum under the pretenses that I would be able to enjoy serious discussions concerning theological issues rather than simply being told that my motives are suspect, I am a liar, I am filth, etc etc.

I hold no ill will towards anyone here and understand that these are your sincerely held beliefs. Unfortunately, the negative reception I have received makes me all the more reserved in my thoughts about being honest with those who don't know my beliefs.

I hope my presence has not caused any undue secession amongst your ranks and I now respectively depart from this site. I will attempt to delete my account, although a moderator may be required to do that. If this is the case, I ask that it be done.

Good day to all and thank you for the answers I've received.

So you admit that you are considering coming out of the closet about your atheism in the fundamental circles you were raised in, and your claim of desiring serious discussions of theological issues was a pretense.  Why should a pretense not be suspicious?  Nobody here holds ill will toward you, other than you yourself who is opposing yourself in your unbelief.  You are opposing God's offer to you of eternal life, and choosing eternal death in Hell intentionally or unintentionally, opposing yourself and trying to insult and blame others for your own choices.  God still loves you and as long as you are not burning in Hell, you can believe it and get saved by Jesus Christ the Savior.  The only person you really have to blame for your beliefs is you.

Edited by Saintnow

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello all! Before I tell you all about me, I suppose I should take the time to actually explain why I'm here.

Over at Glenn Beck's The Blaze website, I have an account (going by the same moniker). Yesterday, another member called TheSword and I got into a little debate pertaining to evolution and the age of the earth and this debate continued on until today. At the end, TheSword was kind enough to invite me to this forum presumedly to become a little more active in religious-based conversations as he/she (rightly) felt this would be a more appropriate venue for that sort of discussion.

About me: I was raised as a fundamentalist Southern Baptist from birth, seeing as my family has always been quite active in the church. Nothing negative has ever happened to me in church or my family and I love both groups of people for raising me the way they did, but in around February of 2013, after a couple of months of skeptical inquiry, I came to the conclusion that I lacked a belief in any gods. I won't go into the exact detailed reasons I rejected my god belief (I'm sure that'll come later in dedicated threads), but I will say it's something I'm fairly quiet about in my personal life. As far as I know, my family is unaware and only a handful of my friends have I felt comfortable enough to let know. I still live with my parents (I'm pretty young, but I won't give an exact date in the interest of privacy) so I guess you could say I'm waiting until I'm out of their presence to come out and admit I no longer believe in any gods.

Anyways, that's me! Nothing much special, just a curious guy who likes to have conversations with people so I can understand what they believe and why. I hope to get to know all of you and I hope my presence doesn't serve as a source of discomfort considering I am, in most senses of the word, an outsider.

Good day all :) 

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Believe in God, the salvation in Jesus alone and you'll never regret it.
Jesus is the bread of life, the living water, the rock, and only Him can give us satisfaction in life.

• Members

Romans 1:

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Some people would rather pretend we all came from some pond scum that mysteriously morphed into thinking and complex beings... science proving the intricacies of DNA and the human body alone should show one such a person that it's impossible to have just "morphed" from pond scum into humans.  Or then there's the "big bang" people who think that the one and only time in history an explosion caused order instead of chaos was during this one "big bang" but then they can't tell you WHO set off a big bang or how it happened.  There are countless excuses why a person wants to deny God... but they all come down to one thing... sin... they like it, they don't want to answer for it, they don't want to turn from it, and they will find ANY excuse to keep doing it.