• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Didn't Know This

• Members

My Church played this during our morning service and I was shocked that I've never heard or seen this before (I consider myself a reasonably knowledgeable sports fan). It's sad but now I look at July 4th as a celebration of what our country USED to be, not what it is now.

• Members

But I contend it is not something to be played in a morning service.  That should be for preaching the word.  Anglicans and others get involved in politics like that instead of preaching.

• Members

Cliffhanger,

If you would like to post the clip, "Rick Monday Saves U.S. Flag," on the, "Patriotism," thread located here on OnLine Baptist I would consider it an honor and a blessing. You may use this link: http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/topic/23447-patriotism/#comment-407603

Again, thank you for the great patriotic posting.

Invicta,

I understand your reasoning. I detest getting involved with poliitcs at church. You are very correct in that the Anglican church, and other churches, are getting involved in politics to the detriment of the preaching of the word of God. I commend you for bringing this out.

I do not consider the patriotic act of Rick Monday saving the U.S. flag from burning a political act.

In a lot of the churches I attend, it is not unusual to say the Pledge of Allegience, usually during Sunday school, in the church sanctuary. And, at almost every church I attend, in the front of the church sanctuary, placed in a prominient place for all to see, is the United States Flag, properly displayed, and usually the State Flag of the State that the church is located also prominently displayed. I consider this appropriate and non-political.

As I do not know Cliffhanger's church that he attends, I will have to assume, that due to the shortness of the video clip, 4 minutes and nine seconds, the clip was shown as a patriotic gesture, or, possibly, as an illustaration. Both of which are non-political and are appropriate in a church, and/or, preaching setting. Again, in most of the churches I attend almost all of the preachers give at least one to three illustrations to prove a point. This is in accordance with the method of giving illustrations given by the Lord Jesus Christ in His sermons.

Alan

• Members

In many churches today (not speaking of any church anyone here attends since I don't know them) their idea of patriotism, being pro-flag or pro-America have come to dominate the church. In some churches, their particular idea of patriotism is viewed as a part of their being a Christian. Some go so far that the flag and country become idols.

In similar manner, every black church I visited in and near Chicago years ago (most were Baptist churches) politics and race overshadowed everything.

Considering Flag Day was just here I'm guessing that's the reason the above video was shown.

• Members

Brethren,

Flying the flag of one's country, and other acts of honoring one's country, is in accordance to the biblical injuction found in Romans 13: 7, "Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour."

All of the churches that I attend are independent. The local church makes the decision to address the issue of how to obey Romans 13:7.

If the local church at Antioch made the decision to fly the national flag of the Roman Empire, (see the above post), in order to honor the Roman government, than that is their decision. Whether or not they did so does not affect me at all. In fact, I probably would; not sure though, as I was not there!

Flying the national flag (except if you are a Jehovah's Witness of course!), is not one bit at all connected with idolatry. If you read your Old Testament closely you will notice that all of the different tribes had their own flag, or, as they are called in the Bible: a standard, or an ensign or a banner.

In fact, it is a commandment from God Himself, for every tribe to have a ensign, or a flag. Every tribe was commanded to fly their own individual standard, or flag,

"And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregration shall they pitch." Numbers 2:1 & 2

If you continue reading Numbers chapter 2 you will clearly see that every tribe had its own flag, or ensign, or standard. The design of the flag, or standard, or ensign, was left up to the individual tribe.

"We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fullfill all thy petitions." Psalm 20:5

In fact, if we have a desire to follow the example of David, we should set up our own banners, or flags, as we rejoice in the blessings of salvation. Therefore, my beloved brethren, the raising up of the flag of the United States of America (our your Government flag), in a church sanctuary is not political; it is a gesture of thankfulness to God above for His many physical and spiritual blessings given through the country one is a citizen of.

"We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fullfill all thy petitions." Psalm 20:5

Alan

Edited by Alan
spelling grammer

• Members

Thanks for the response Alan. The purpose of my post was not to have it devolve into "Is it biblical to show patriotic videos in church?" and how some churches idolize country and flag. Just thought some people would like it. Shouldn't be surprised though, no wonder so many people stopped posting on this board. Oh well.

• Members

In many churches today (not speaking of any church anyone here attends since I don't know them) their idea of patriotism, being pro-flag or pro-America have come to dominate the church. In some churches, their particular idea of patriotism is viewed as a part of their being a Christian. Some go so far that the flag and country become idols.

In similar manner, every black church I visited in and near Chicago years ago (most were Baptist churches) politics and race overshadowed everything.

Considering Flag Day was just here I'm guessing that's the reason the above video was shown.

​I don't think there should be black churches of white churches, just christian churches.  

• Members

A question about flags in churches: Did the early churches in the Roman Empire give this flag a prominent place in their churches?  

Image result for pic of the roman empires standard

​I doubt it.

I think they separated from paganism, at least for a few years. 

• Members

​This was not a pagan flag. The SPQR stands for: , Senātus Populusque Rōmānus or in English . . . . The Senate and People of Rome.  Nothing pagan on the banner.

​I believe that all flags are pagan,

• Members

You've heard that saying "Rally round the flag boys."  That is what a flag originally was: a banner for troops or soldiers to rally around on thew battlefield.  But later, I guess governments discovered it could become some sort of a idol for the citizens, the lesser human beings.  I guess in that sense it is an idol and so pagan.  Certainly in the U.S.of A. it seem to have become one to some.

• Members

I believe that is an unbelievably stupid statement.. ......

:wacko:

I should probably explain:

Are semaphore flags pagan?

They are a form of distance communication, and as such are a tool - not pagan in any way. No more than a telephone......