• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormonism

• Members

​And that's your first problem, right there! 

2 Cor 6:14

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And there is your second problem--a woman is NOT someone who ought be preaching--that's a man's job!

​Maybe she wanted to share her testimony with some of the people there...that is permissible in a private setting (not sharing it with the entire church in a pulpit...)

But, I completely disagree with even going to the Mormon Temple as a new Christian...very dangerous.  Probably not even a good idea to go as a doctrinally sound Christian.

• Members

​I myself have been a Mormon for years. What exactly do you believe they "twist"?  And when you say "our scripture..." do you follow a different scripture then the Bible? I'm confused I thought Baptist read the same scriptures as all Christians. At least the IFB I know follow the Bible.

• Members

i read a book once by a person who left the mormon church and converted to Baptist and got saved.. that person was threatened.. and ended up leaving the area... please don't go and talk your friend out of going... 

​As a Mormon I would agree with this. You'd do far better showing up at their door then you would showing up at their church. You won't get anywhere with it at the church. I've seen people try and trust me it goes nowhere.

• Moderators

​I myself have been a Mormon for years. What exactly do you believe they "twist"?  And when you say "our scripture..." do you follow a different scripture then the Bible? I'm confused I thought Baptist read the same scriptures as all Christians. At least the IFB I know follow the Bible.

​Thanks, 20JC12. I was hoping you'd respond. :) It was not my intention to cause any offense to you with this post.  What I meant by the above is that, while IFB do endeavor to follow the Bible as the only Word of God, my understanding is that the Mormon church gives precedence to its other scriptures, resulting in the official doctrine of the Mormon church being different from plain Bible teaching. For example, the Bible says that Jesus Christ is God (John 1:1) - part of the Trinity (three persons in one being - 1 John 5:7). He came to earth and took upon himself a human body (John 1:14) - but He is completely God. He is the only begotten son of God (John 3:16), and yet one with God - his human body created by the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of a virgin woman (Matt. 1:18). As God, He is eternal - always was, and always will be (Rev. 1:8).  He always was and will be God (holy, all-powerful, all-knowing, immortal), and He created the earth (John 1:3) Jesus is the only part of the Triune God that has a physical body (John 4:23-24).  Man has sinned against God, and as such is separated from Him. Our penalty for this is death and eternal hell. Jesus Christ came as a perfect man, and died and shed His blood in order that the penalty for our sins could be satisfied. If we trust in Him and what He did as our only salvation, God will lay His righteousness to our account and forgive us the penalty of our sins. Our own works are as filthy rags and cannot earn us salvation - in fact, the very effort to try to do good works (including baptism) to earn salvation proves that we are not trusting Christ alone - without which we cannot be saved. 

On the other hand, according to what I have studied of Mormon doctrine, the official teaching about God/Jesus is something like this (and I do apologize for the rather rough summation). God was once a mortal being. By whatever process, he became a god and got to run this planet. Jesus is not the only son of god - he is brother to Lucifer. Jesus was conceived by god having physical relations with Mary.  There are many gods - not just one. Jesus is not one being with God - the teaching is that are three different gods that share a job called the Godhead. Jesus is the Christ because he had a better idea than Lucifer on 'salvation'. God is not a unique being - in fact, if humans live perfectly (good works), they can become gods and rule and populate their own little planets. Lorenzo Snow summed it up in 1840 when he stated: "As God once was, man can be. As God is, man can become."  Everyone will end up going to some level of heaven. Hell is temporary.

Therefore to sum it up, official Mormon doctrine (as determined by the Standard Works and the accepted teachings of church leaders & prophets) and the Bible disagree on the following:

Bible -  Mormon church

One God - Many gods
Man is not god - Man can become a god
Jesus is the only Son of God (yet one with God. Yes, it's confusing.) - Jesus is not the only son of god
Lucifer (Satan) is a rebellious, fallen angel - Lucifer is a son of god and brother of Jesus
Jesus miraculously born of a virgin by the power of the Holy Spirit - Jesus born as a result of physical relations between a father god and a no-longer-virgin woman.
Salvation (from penalty of sins) by faith alone - Salvation (from penalty of personal sins) by good works & baptism
Hell eternal - Hell temporary
Trinity as three persons in one God - trinity as three gods in one job
God the Father is a Spirit - god the father has a physical body

The Jesus of the Mormon organization is not the same Jesus of the Bible. (President Hinckley has stated the same thing.) Their god is not the God of the Bible. And their teaching of salvation and man's very destiny is completely contradictory to what the Bible says.

The reason I made mention of twisting is that the Mormon church uses the same terms that Christians have historically used, but have redefined them. This creates confusion, and leads many people both within and without the church to believe that the Mormon church believes/teaches the same as historic Christian churches, because of the similar terminology.  I offer the following article as an example: https://carm.org/dialogue-with-mormon-missionaries

I don't know what you exactly believe, 20JC12, and I am by no means saying that you believe any of this just because your church teaches it. (I would be very interested in finding out exactly what you do believe about these things! :wink)  But, so far as I can tell, the above statements are a truthful representation of the official teachings of the Mormon church. You can see for yourself that they do not agree with the Biblical account.

• Moderators

​As a Mormon I would agree with this. You'd do far better showing up at their door then you would showing up at their church. You won't get anywhere with it at the church. I've seen people try and trust me it goes nowhere.

​Thank you so much for that. I rather suspected that, but it will be a huge help for me to be able to tell my friend this from one who attends a Mormon church. :) 

• 1 year later...