• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I watched the video about denying the Holocaust. I also don't agree it was 6 million but that's all I agree with him on about the Holocaust. I can't listen to anything else he preaches when he can deny that. Replacement theology? Not Baptist either. When you're so wrong on such huge issues everything else you have to say is moot at this point.

• Members

I watched the video about denying the Holocaust. I also don't agree it was 6 million but that's all I agree with him on about the Holocaust. I can't listen to anything else he preaches when he can deny that. Replacement theology? Not Baptist either. When you're so wrong on such huge issues everything else you have to say is moot at this point.

​It was probably more than 6 million....not less.  European Jewry was just about wiped out after WWII

• Members

I listened to many of his sermons when I was first saved...hungry for sermons from anywhere at that point.  I realize after awhile that this was not a person I should be listening to, I agree with many of the sentiments on here about staying away from this guy.  Does he have some good firm stances on many things?  Yes.  How do you think Satan works?  All falsehoods?  Nah, there is some truth mixed in with his lies.

• Members

I decided to go on his website and peruse one of his sermons on repentance. Its funny, to me anyways-he seems so against the idea that repentance can mean, repentance from sin. So then to prove the point that it doesn't always mean repentance from sin , so one might be saved, he uses the example of Paul preaching on Mars Hill, concerning the altar to the unknown god. And he says this:

"But look when he is telling them to repent here, what is he telling them to repent of? He says look you are worshipping idols, your worshipping false gods, you think that this statue is god, the times of this ignorance God winked at but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent, he is telling them to repent or turn from worshipping of false gods. He says look your worshipping false gods, you need to worship the one true God, you need to repent and turn from false gods to the true God"

So, repenting from worshiping false, multiple idols somehow ISN'T repenting from sin?  And if they are repenting from worshiping false idols, what are they repenting TO? Worshiping the true God? How can they do that, except a part of it, is in that repentance, turning to Christ for salvation? Otherwise, it is really he, himself, that is encouraging a works-based salvation, because he seems to be implying here that to turn from worshiping false idols to worshiping the true God equate to salvation. No, what he is missing  and actually proving himself, is that a necessary part of accepting the free gift of salvation, if the need to repent in one's heart of their sin-in this case, the sin of following false gods. But it is a heart repentance, a rejecting in their hearts of those false idols, to receive God as their God, Jesus as Saviour. That heart-repentance then will lead to the ACT of repentance as they actively cease following those false god and begin following their Saviour. So, in refuting the idea of repentance of sin to be saved, he actually proves it. He needs to place himself on his blacklist!

Let's see what the Bible actually says about repentance and its connection to sin:

"And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them. But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?  And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:29-32)   Seems clear here that Jesus was calling sinners to repent. of what? Idolatry only? No, in context, it would be repent from their sin, whatever they may be.

"I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance." (Luke 15:7) Again, in Jesus' words, who repents? Sinners. Of what, well, clearly, their sins, because they are sinners. And this thought is repeated in verse 10, "Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth."  There is no question left open as to what Jesus saw joy in repentance over : "SINNERS repenting." But by Mr. Anderson's (why do I hear this name in an ominous voice?) thinking, the only thing God expected anyone to repent about was worshiping false idols. Not sin, which apparently worshiping false idols...isn't? 

And again: "And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." (Luke 24:46, 47) Here, again in the words of Jesus, we see repentance and remission of sins, inextricably joined together, which should be preached to ALL nations.

I could go on, and I could even preach a great sermon full of explanations, but see, I don't need to explain it: the Bible is clear in its meaning concerning repentance: to be saved, a repentance of heart is necessary, which is NOT a work that makes one worthy of salvation, any more than a drowning man, upon seeing a life preserver flung to him, is worthy of his rescue because he decides to repent of being in the cold, miserable deep, and reaches for the preserver. We repent in heart, and once saved, THEN we do works meet for repentance (Acts 26:20), which is repentance in action. THESE are the works, which we now are able to perform through the power of the Spirit of God. Repentance of heart, which leads to salvation, and then repentance in action, works meet for repentance. Its not hard.

​I find it interesting that in Luke the same chapter where he is taking about joy being in heaven over a sinner that repents, is the story of the prodigal.

• Moderators

​I find it interesting that in Luke the same chapter where he is taking about joy being in heaven over a sinner that repents, is the story of the prodigal.

Yes, certainly believers who are sinners should repent of their sins, as well. This doesn't, however, mean to say that UNSAVED sinners don't have to. When Peter preached at Pentecost, all the unsaved Jews were told to repent, as well. We repent of many things, of sin, of the actions of sin, of rebellion-repentance of the heart precedes repentance of the actions.

• Members

David Cloud defines repentance as to surrender to God.

in Acts 20:21 we see Paul preached repentance toward God.

Our repentance is a change of mind about God, and about our sin that has wronged God.

I have seen many people who refused to receive Jesus Christ because of their love for sin.

For example, my Mom told my Pastor that she does not want to accept Jesus Christ, because "I like my current lifestyle".She does not want to surrender to God.

I have seen countless times where someone is convinced that the gospel I am preaching to them is true, but they do not want to submit to it and surrender.

Repentance is more than turning from unbelief to belief!

• Members

Jordan, just to clarify David Cloud's definition of repentance from the Way of Life Encyclopedia:

Way of Life Encyclopedia

REPENTANCE

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation (2 Timothy 2:25; John 16:8; Acts 11:18; 26:20). Repentance means more than sorrow or regret or despair or grief. It is also more than mere confession or acknowledgement of sin. Pharaoh, Saul, and Judas did all of that but did not exercise Bible repentance (Exodus 9:27; 1 Samuel 15:24; 24:17; 26:21; Matthew 27:3-4). Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Matthew 3:1-2; Luke 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Acts 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2 Peter 3:9).

• Members

Repentance is more than turning from unbelief to belief!

Salvation repentance is intrinsic to truly believing on Jesus Christ. It is not intrinsic on leaving sin. However, once Christ saves a person who believes He tells them go and sin no more. He never says "sin no more then I will save you." True "repentance of sin" is the act of the believer and comes after repentance unto salvation (from unbelief to FAITH).

The lost man does not need to repent of sin to obtain salvation but he does need to repent towards Christ by believing on Christ who then remits and washes the sinner of their sin. True belief is not just acknowledgement of the truth (like the devils) but the acceptance of truth into one's heart (FAITH) where it will quicken the spirit and renew the mind which leads to a changed and holy life.

Salvation ultimately occurs on the spirit level. Whither the believer realizes it or not, in coming to faith in Christ they repented of anything that kept them from believing in faith. They do not need to have all their ducks in row theologically on a conscious level so to speak. They technically do not even need a verbal prayer. They just need to believe on Christ.

Acts 11:15-17 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Mark 9:23-24 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Edited by John Young

• Members

Salvation repentance is intrinsic to truly believing on Jesus Christ. It is not intrinsic on leaving sin. However, once Christ saves a person who believes He tells them go and sin no more. He never says "sin no more then I will save you." True "repentance of sin" is the act of the believer and comes after repentance unto salvation (from unbelief to FAITH).
The lost man does not need to repent of sin to obtain salvation but he does need to repent towards Christ by believing on Christ who then remits and washes the sinner of their sin. True belief is not just acknowledgement of the truth (like the devils) but the acceptance of truth into one's heart (FAITH) where it will quicken the spirit and renew the mind which leads to a changed and holy life.

Salvation ultimately occurs on the spirit level. Whither the believer realizes it or not, in coming to faith in Christ they repented of anything that kept them from believing in faith. They do not need to have all their ducks in row theologically on a conscious level so to speak. They technically do not even need a verbal prayer. They just need to believe on Christ.

Acts 11:15-17 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Mark 9:23-24 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

My mom told me Pastor she will not get saved because "I like my lifestyle too much." Her issue is more than one of just turning from unbelief to belief, she has not yet come to the place of repentance, she has not "came to herself" like the Prodigal sin.

Repentance is a surrender and turning from whatever is between you and God, which is always sin.  You have to have a change of mind about the sin you love or you will never truly believe in Christ for salvation. but it is not just turning from unbelief. 

If it was there would be no need to preach repentance, which we see quite a bit in the bible.

and  I never said someone has to leave sin to be saved, what you are doing is a straw man argument. 

we are taking about a surrender in the heart and a turning in the heart from the love of sin, and turning to Christ for salvation. What sinner truly comes to Christ until he changes his mind about the thing that is damning his soul. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I never said someone has to leave sin to be saved, what you are doing is a straw man argument. 

I did not mean to imply anything that was not in your arguments or to presume too much on the background of your other statements. I meant only to expound on the idea I quoted and the subject in general. I apologize if it appeared my statements went further then that.