• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

This isn't Greece.

• Moderators

Been aware of Anderson for years.  I disagree with much of his preaching.  

He has a webpage called Repentance Blacklist.  He has my name on it because I teach repentance.

​Is this in the wrong place? I'm not seeing the connection between it and the OP.

• Moderators

I'm a stranger, not Athenian. Well, strange, anyways.

Seriously,  in the context, I think it would be doctrinal or philosophical 'new things'. Frankly, while I may appreciate a preachers ability to take a text or passage and apply it in a way I had not thought of, its still the same. When people go looking for really 'new' things from the Bible, I am always leery.

There's is nothing new under the sun.  Still, good to think about, as we always need to be assessing ourselves, for if we would judge ourselves, the Lord would need not judge us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

'new' things from 'the Bible' we're judged on yes if we abuse the word. But, here time spent is the inference of this thread. What is the purpose of time spent online? 

The Athenians and strangers didn't know Jesus Christ and spent time unwisely. We who do know Jesus Christ will answer at the judgement seat for wasting time. I hope no one would say, ahh, just another tear to be wiped away.

• Members

Much of my online time is spent reading short Bible studies, visiting this site, checking the weather, keeping up with family, doing a little business, sharing the Gospel with folks online, sharing with other Christians around the world.

During some of my online time I have my headphones on listening to preaching.

With my eyes not being as good as they once were I can only do so much reading using a lamp. That's why I do most of my reading during the daylight hours.

With regards to the purpose of time spent online: are you referring to each individuals purpose or in a more general manner? For myself, being online can be similar to attending a Bible study, church service, fellowship; or having a cup of coffee with Christian friends or with a lost person who needs to hear the Gospel; or a quick chat with family.

We can't be out witnessing 16 hours a day, and that's especially true in a small town. We are each called to various tasks at various times of our lives. I've had times in my life where hours witnessing nearly every day was common. I've had other times where a great deal of Bible study was the main feature.

I simply try to follow the Lord's leading whether online or offline.

• Members

I suppose I could find some way to justify time on line, if I were looking for an excuse. But frankly it distracts from what I need to be about, out witnessing face to face. While the Athenians and strangers were busy with all sorts of new things Paul and those who accompanied him were giving face time to the lost. 

For example, has anyone come to OB and said, I read the discussions here and got saved? I'm relatively new to OB but I've yet to see a post with someone claiming salvation from discussions at OB.

By the way, my very rural community has roads with houses on them.

• Members

Wasn't OB instrumental in Alimantado coming to Christ?

Hasn't there been much accomplished through prayer here?

Many have learned new things or had their understanding broadened here.

There has been needful interactions in manners of fellowship and friendship.

Maybe your area is different than this one, but here the folks have heard the Gospel over and over, most already think of themselves as Christians and they don't want to hear anyone implying otherwise by trying to tell them the Gospel or asking questions about their faith.

Personally I feel no need to justify whatever amount of time I spend here because I find great value here and when the Lord has me busy elsewhere, I'm there rather than here.

Do you spend 16 hours a day knocking on rural farm house doors?

• Members

Wasn't OB instrumental in Alimantado coming to Christ?

Hasn't there been much accomplished through prayer here?

Many have learned new things or had their understanding broadened here.

There has been needful interactions in manners of fellowship and friendship.

Maybe your area is different than this one, but here the folks have heard the Gospel over and over, most already think of themselves as Christians and they don't want to hear anyone implying otherwise by trying to tell them the Gospel or asking questions about their faith.

Personally I feel no need to justify whatever amount of time I spend here because I find great value here and when the Lord has me busy elsewhere, I'm there rather than here.

Do you spend 16 hours a day knocking on rural farm house doors?

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much,"

2 Peter 1:13   Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;

No, I don't spend 16 hours a day on rural farm house doors...SHAME on ME!

• Members

I'm not sure who the lady is?

If even one person has been saved, even in part, because of OB, and many others have been built up in the faith, and fellowship and friendship have blessed many here, then this is a worthwhile place to spend some time.

I've only a few more minutes here before I head off to help my Dad, then take my family to the library, a quick store stop, taking advantages of the opportunities the Lord presents along the way, and then it may be time for dinner. Stopping here first has refreshed me and encouraged me to face that which is before me.

Have a great day!

• Members

That's the main problem in this area, the people don't hear; and that's true among many of the Christians as it is among the lost. With virtually everyone believing themselves to already be a Christian either their hearts are hardened to the Gospel or their ears are blocked. When it reaches the point there is nothing more I can say to certain people I pray the Lord will send someone else that the Holy Ghost may be able to use to reach them.

Excellent sermon and Sunday school today! Shortly I plan to do some reading and some refresher study on some points to be prepared to fit them into conversations this week I know will come up dealing with major current events.

While the enemy is trying to slam doors shut, I do believe the Lord is actually opening doors to declare His Word in terms of what people are seeing around them today. Not only do we need to continue reaching the lost with the Gospel, we need to be building up Christians to live for Christ better and closer and more effectively. Discipleship is so neglected these days yet it is so greatly needed and vitally necessary.

God bless you as you serve him in your capacity where you are.