• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

R. C. Sproul Jr.

• Members

Understandably true, but it was a shadow pointing to Jesus; but the question remains? Was it for the Jews or for the whole world?

Leonard, you side-stepped your own issue when heartstrings pointed out your erroneous example of "Did the entire world go after Jesus?" 

I don't see your point with "were the sacrifices for the Jews or the whole world"...other than you're trying to bait someone into the "See! God only gave that to them and left everyone else in the world without sacrifices; therefore, Calvinism is true.

However, I'll answer your question. The Old Testament sacrifices were for the nation of Israel.

HOWEVER...

God gave the nation of Israel the directive to be his witnesses to the world. They failed miserably, but that doesn't discount what God told them to do.

Leonard, you're not going to "prove" anything here. You should already know that this isn't a forum that supports Calvinism...if you didn't already know, now you do.

• Members

Understandably true, but it was a shadow pointing to Jesus; but the question remains? Was it for the Jews or for the whole world?

HOWEVER...

God gave the nation of Israel the directive to be his witnesses to the world. They failed miserably, but that doesn't discount what God told them to do.

Leonard, you're not going to "prove" anything here. You should already know that this isn't a forum that supports Calvinism...if you didn't already know, now you do.

...and let's not forget that God also told Israel that any "strangers" (non-Jews) that sojourned with (and in) Israel were to take part in the sacrifices, Passover, etc...

So, there you have it. The sacrifices were given by God to Israel...but they were available to anyone.

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

you still didn't answer the question? Did the sacrifices in the OT for the Jews or the whole world?

Well, if you must, The OT sacrifices were little more than an object lesson, a picture of things to come, any substance they had was of a limited and temporal nature and at the time it was a lesson which only Israel had been blessed with. But Christ did taste death for everyman, and he now has the keys of death and hell and will judge the living AND THE DEAD, and will be Just.

• Members

We Accept the New Testament Revelation. Do you? are you going to base your faith on the Old testament? If you do you won't be saved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

No my faith is nothing but on whyat Jesus did on Calvary, and Jesus raising from the dead : days later

...and let's not forget that God also told Israel that any "strangers" (non-Jews) that sojourned with (and in) Israel were to take part in the sacrifices, Passover, etc...

So, there you have it. The sacrifices were given by God to Israel...but they were available to anyone.

yes, those "strangers" we're welcomed sojourners in Jeruselam. 

• Members

No doubt true.  Sacrifices were also offered on behalf of Caesar. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

16 For God so loved  part of  the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved some of the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved the church world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved _________world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

John 3:16King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That's not "universalism". Universalism means that God just saves anybody and everybody unconditionally. But the Bible says that God saves "whosoever believeth". God already did everything. God's only condition now is that you simply believe on His only begotten son, Jesus, trusting Him to save you from burning in Hell for all eternity because of your wickedness. That's it. That's all.

• Members

So, Jesus gave his life for the church then?

16 For God so loved  part of  the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved some of the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved the church world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

16 For God so loved _________world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.?

John 3:16King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

That's not "universalism". Universalism means that God just saves anybody and everybody unconditionally. But the Bible says that God saves "whosoever believeth". God already did everything. God's only condition now is that you simply believe on His only begotten son, Jesus, trusting Him to save you from burning in Hell for all eternity because of your wickedness. That's it. That's all.

remember, Jesus was talking to Nicodemus. The Jews claimed that they were God's elect. God loved the world all the believers. Look at the words in Greek "Whosoever believes".  On the believers believe.

• Members

I have a question, and that's all it is so don't anyone on any side take it any other way.

What about the verses which say "for many" rather than "all"?

That's a question I've wanted to ask each time I read one of those verses but I always forget.

• Members

Leonard,  The Jews were and are "Elect"; so are Angels, the Saints, and The Lord Jesus himself.

I have a question, and that's all it is so don't anyone on any side take it any other way.

What about the verses which say "for many" rather than "all"?

That's a question I've wanted to ask each time I read one of those verses but I always forget.

John, To the one who made billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars; how many is many?

• Members

Leonard,  The Jews were and are "Elect"; so are Angels, the Saints, and The Lord Jesus himself.

John, To the one who made billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars; how many is many?

I've no idea, but it's not all.

I just find it curious as to why it says "many" rather than "all" in some verses. I remember reading one of those verses in a study Bible and I checked the note for that verse hoping for an explanation but they had nothing for that verse.

Maybe someone here has considered this before, heard a sermon on it, read about it, or just has and idea to share.