• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Church; Body and the Bride of Christ

• Members

Theologies problem of Israel and the Gentiles.
How can the Church be both the body of Christ and the Bride of Christ at the same time?

Israel the first born
Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:
Christ the first born
And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;

The Church is the Body of Christ
Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

The Church is the Bride of Christ
Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
The Church the chaste virgin (bride to be)
…for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

So how can the Church be both the body of Christ and the Bride of Christ at the same time?
I think it is because Israel is the Body, and the Gentiles is the Bride! The Israelites aren’t really Jesus, it is a shadow, a type, the prophets did have the spirit of Christ within them, so perhaps a shadow with substance. If we use this scriptural typology I’m sure we could learn a little about the Two Covenants.

A son has rights by birth the bride has none until after the marriage, then according to scripture they two become one, so there is only one church, Israel & Gentile as one body.

Israel and Gentile become One Body ____In Ephesians
For he is our peace, who hath made both one, …for to make in himself of twain one new man, And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross,… through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father …Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Christ and Church become one

Husband and Wife become one
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is >>the head of the church: >>and he is the saviour of the body…. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.(Husband & wife)

Two Folds become one
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
Two Trees become one (kind of)
For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Israel is the first born Son, the Body, the sheep of THIS fold, the good tree with the roots,

The Gentiles are the Bride, who becomes an heir of the common wealth and ‘one flesh’, the OTHER sheep, the Grafted in Branches, but in every case it is Both Jew and Gentile not either or. And yes, being married is different from being single, the two Covenants are Two. When the branches were cut off in Romans it was in part and for a time.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

Hello Old-Pilgrim.

I saw in another thread that you are in the UK,  Where in the UK?

I would like to pick up on one point here

Two Trees become one (kind of)
For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

When a tree is grafted on to another, they become one tree.  In the last couple of years I have planted some fruit trees in my garden.  One is a Mirabelle, which has a red and a yellow grafted on to the one tree.  They are both grafted on to a root stock which is probably a different kind of plum altogether.  You can get a Family apple tree where different varieties are grafted onto one tree.  There is a traffic light tree, grown as a cordon, which has a red apple at the top, a yellow in the middle and a green at the bottom.  I have also seen a pech tree in catalogues which has a peach, nectarine and apricot all grafted on to one tree.  It has always been shown as out of stock, or I would have bought one.   All these would have been grafted on to a different stock from the fruiting tree which will determine the tree's characteristics, size, shape etc.

• Members

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

• Members

I believe the opposite.  Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles, Paul uses the concept of the "body of Christ".  The "body of Christ" is composed of Jew and Gentile, but it is not composed of "Israel" and Gentiles.  I personally believe that Revelation is applicable, in its entirety, to Israel - and the Tribulation in particular (the "Church"/Body of Christ being absent). 

When a "body" is completed, it is completed... period.  Now, consider the "function" of a "body", and the implications of that "concept"... (just something to ponder).

Edited by beameup

• Members

I believe the opposite.

​the opposite of what?

Jews are Israelites.

>>When a "body" is completed, it is completed... period.  Now, consider the "function" of a "body", and the implications of that "concept"... (just something to ponder)<<

Ponder what exactly?

• Members

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

​Hi, I think that is spiritual, the verses I quoted were typology,  I hope there is still male and female when Paul said Husbands love your wives' otherwise how can there be children not to provoke to wrath? :) I was just pointing out a possible 'type' which shows the union of Gentiles and Israel. Much theology try to separate the Gentiles and Israel, I am just pointing out that Scripture Joins them.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

​the opposite of what?

Jews are Israelites.

​OK, how many "Israelites" were there in 1801?  How about the year 1040?  Or even the year 740?

It never ceases to amaze me how brilliant the Holy Spirit is with words... and detail.

Edited by beameup

• Members

beameup Hi

Well if we lay aside the tribe of Dan and the two sons of Joseph for the purpose of making this point, Israel was made up of 12 Tribes one of the tribes was Judah abbreviated to Jews, Benjamin was also a tribe, take for an example;

1Ki 12:23 Speak unto Rehoboam, the son of Solomon, king of Judah, and unto all the house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the remnant of the people, saying,

So there was Jews and Benjaminites, both of these were Israelites, It was mostly Jews which were in Jerusalem in the time of Christ so they were genericly known as Jews, even though some of them would have been descended from some of the other tribes such as Manasseh and Ephraim. So what do you think the significance is of calling the Jews Jews, and not Israelites.

Ro 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Joh 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

Ro 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

I am guessing you know that the Jews were also Israelites, so what significance do you think in in the term?

• Moderators

Jesus is the tree with the roots, Israel are the natural branches, and the Gentiles are the wild branches, grafted in.

One of the biggest reasons for the whole error of the church taking the place of Israel, is missing that we weren't grafted into Israel, we were grafted into Christ, while Israel, the natural branches, were removed for unbelief. And some will be grafted back through faith. But the tree was never Israel.

As for the body, the church, in a loose, universally-sense, (there, I said it!) meaning all believers since the beginning of the church, be they originally Jew or Gentile, are of the body of Christ, AND are part of the Bride.

Edited by Ukulelemike