• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormon with IBC Pastor friend... feeling confusion and guilt

• Members

Not long ago I found an IBC online that was near my home which I wrote about it here before. I went to their church a few times and it was amazing. However it wasn't amazing enough to pull me out of my Mormon faith. It's easy for people to say just leave the church because it's complicated. It's hard because you are so tightly tied in to everything with the church. If you leave it's like you've lost your entire family. I suppose no one hear would completely understand and that's OK.

So they a anniversary celebration recently and he kept reaching out asking if I would commit to coming. I really did want to go but my I didn't. I have chronic physical pain and I didn't go. Now the pain wasn't that bad that I couldn't have sat through it all but I couldn't get myself to go. I felt terrible because they are the nicest people I know and I want to support them.

I listened to his preaching from that day and I felt like it was for me. Strange, really it was. Everything he was saying it was as if it was pointed to me. He spoke about how he asked someone to come and they said they would then at the last minute they say they can't. 

I love going to that church however breaking my ties to the Mormon church has proven harder then ever before. I'm riddled with guilt after hearing his sermon online. I feel like I've wronged a friend in the worst way. As if he's trying to do something nice and I just turned away. On the other hand when I see the missionaries or my Mormon friends I feel like I'm in my place... where I belong.

This all must sound all over the place but it was a rough weekend for me. I feel very torn between 2 churches both of which I feel deeply about.

Just wanted to share... 

• Members

It's not at all strange, and I truly do understand where you're coming from. I have a man in the Bible study class that I teach who is from a Mormon family. We talk about the challenges of witnessing to them often. Truly, it's a common theme I've notice about pretty much every other faith from Islam to Jehovah's Witness to Catholicism. A faith lived out intentionally defines a person's personal and social life, and completely changing that is incredibly difficult.

One thing you have to keep in mind about a life lived following the real Jesus Christ: it's going to be hard leaving the old life behind, but it's going to be worth it. Jesus knew that when people chose to follow Him it would cause anxiety among friends and family:

"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against the mother in law." (Luke 12:-51-53)

But He also promised even greater reward:

"Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee. And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, house, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life." (Mark 10:28-30)

The truth is, following Jesus naturally sets you at odds with your previous faith. That doesn't mean you have to stop loving them or seeing them altogether; but it does mean you are set on two completely different paths: one toward heaven and the other toward hell. What should drive you is to lovingly win them over to the path leading to heaven.

Another thing to consider, is that God expects you to definitively leave the Mormon church:

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for hat fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you." (2 Cor 6:14-17)

Here's the thing, you absolutely can't be a part of both faiths because they are set completely against one another and they cannot both be correct. You must make a choice, even though it feels like a hard one. When it really comes down to it, you have to decide whether you love Jesus or your old friends/church family more (Matt 10:37-40). Once you've decided on Jesus, you should embrace the love that you have for those in your former life and go win them to Christ.

edit: spelling errors

Edited by TheSword

• Members

You many lose friends or family when you chose to follow the real Jesus of the Bible, but you will gain salvation for eternity. Now that you've heard the true gospel you're responsible for your actions to hearing it. I'm praying for you. Call and have the pastor visit or you visit him soon. The devil is pulling you towards Mormonism but the Holy Spirit is stirring your heart with the truth! Read the new testament, Mathew, Mark, Luke or John. 

• Members

You many lose friends or family when you chose to follow the real Jesus of the Bible, but you will gain salvation for eternity. Now that you've heard the true gospel you're responsible for your actions to hearing it. I'm praying for you. Call and have the pastor visit or you visit him soon. The devil is pulling you towards Mormonism but the Holy Spirit is stirring your heart with the truth! Read the new testament, Mathew, Mark, Luke or John. 

​You will also find many more new friends in Jesus.

Edited by Invicta
Spelling

• Members

Something to consider is that in the beginnings of Christianity pretty much EVERY person who was saved was in your situation.

When a Jew got saved, they were totally forsaken by their family and their community, including often being turned out of their house, losing their job, and being rejected by their friends.

In Acts 2 we see the church there at Jerusalem helping each other in these ways.

But most of all:

Heb 4:15

He knows what we are going through, even when nobody else does.

• Moderators

Its very simple. Please don't think I am being flippant, but it really is very easy:

Mormonism is a cult that drags people to hell for eternity. It should be hated, and your friends therein are to be pitied greatly, because hell is their destination. There is no second chance, no terrestrial and celestial kingdoms, just heaven or hell, then the new heaven/new earth, or lake of fire. Nothing else. Once in hell, there is no hope for an end-the only things to look forward to in Hell are the Great White Throne judgment of Jesus Christ, and the inevitable casting into the lake of fire.

I speak hard on this because its very real. Jesus Christ became a man and lived and died a terrible death for the SOLE purpose of making salvation available to he lost. Those who follow Joseph Smith and Brigham Young are treading upon the precious, sinless blood of Christ when they follow after their religion that says that Smith must be gone through as another mediator with Jesus. Smith didn't die for anyone's sins but his own, and he is in hell now. Don't follow him there. If you're not saved, come to Christ for eternal life. If you are, get out of the den of wickedness that is the LDS organization and work to bring others to Christ and free them as well.

If your family is keeping you there because they will reject you if you leave, is it then better to go to hell with them? or would it be better to get saved, get out, then introduce them to the real salvation of Jesus Christ, and spend eternity with them in glory instead? Please, don't let friends, family, loved ones, responsibilities, even children, take you to hell. Instead, get right and seek to bring them with you.

There is not one good reason to remain in the idolatrous LDS organization. Not one.  

• Members

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I appreciate you being understanding and kind :)

First let me say that I'm the only Mormon in my family so I don't have that issue. They are Christian but not practicing Christians. 

@Ukulelemike, you wrote "Those who follow Joseph Smith and Brigham Young..." we actually don't follow them we believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior and died for our sins.

@MissDaisy you wrote, "follow the real Jesus of the Bible..." I never heard of a fake Jesus... I'm confused here because there is only one that I know of and that is G_ds son Jesus.

I do plan to go one day to the church service. Not sure when though. 

Within our church much of your socializing, activities, friends, and such revolve around the church so it would almost feel like when your kids first leave your home and you're faced with that empty feeling. My life has completely revolved around the Mormon church. It's a conflicting feeling that makes me very uncomfortable. 

Thanks again!

• Members

@MissDaisy you wrote, "follow the real Jesus of the Bible..." I never heard of a fake Jesus... I'm confused here because there is only one that I know of and that is G_ds son Jesus.

What I believe she is talking about is that the Mormon concept of Jesus is completely different from the Jesus that we know. The thing you have to keep in mind is that while Mormons and Christians use many of the same terms, we have vastly different definitions for those terms. In a sense, we're not even speaking the same language. For example...

When we reference the Trinity and the Godhead, we're talking about the three-in-oneness being (Father, Son, Holy Ghost/Spirit). He is three persons in one entity. When Mormons reference the Trinity and the Godhead, they're talking about three completely distinct and separate persons that occupy an office and are not at all the same and the Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are two completely different things.

We believe Jesus is God incarnate. Mormons believe that Jesus is a child born as the result of a physical relationship between God and Mary.

The reason we say that the Mormon Jesus is different is because we believe He is actually God, whereas Mormons do not. Therefore, they are not the same Jesus. That is why I say our two faith systems cannot both be right. Jesus is either God, or He is not.

• Members

OK, I understand what you are saying. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

The thing is how can G_d have a son then they suddenly become one? What happen to G_d then? 

Sorry this must seem like a stupid question but seriously it doesn't make sense to me. To me they are separate working together in unity.

Then how to explain this verse? "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 KJV He's obviously calling out to his father, G_d right?

• Members

OK, I understand what you are saying. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

The thing is how can G_d have a son then they suddenly become one? What happen to G_d then? 

Sorry this must seem like a stupid question but seriously it doesn't make sense to me. To me they are separate working together in unity.

Then how to explain this verse? "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 KJV He's obviously calling out to his father, G_d right?

​Don't be sorry, it's a great, and important question. In short, they have always been the same person and "son" is descriptive of the relationship and essence rather than physical offspring. Consider John 1:1 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

This one beautifully packaged verse boldly declares that Jesus (the Word) was God. In the Greek it's actually a little more emphatic and a woodenly literal translation would read, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and God was the Word."

Reading on to verse 3 - "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." If we go back to the original Creation account in Genesis 1:1, we see this:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." Every verse after that declares the acts of creation as an action taken specifically by God. Moving forward a little bit to Genesis 1:26 when God created man we find this:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:" So now we have a singular God referring to Himself in the plural, which shows the wonderful truth revealed in John 1.

There are many passages throughout the Bible I could reference for you to show that Jesus claimed to be God and His disciples believed Him to be God, but the above should give you a good starting point.

Regarding your question about Matthew 27:46, there are two things I want to point out. First, Jesus is directly quoting Psalm 22. The second thing is that even though Jesus is God, He is not the same person as the Father. God's three-in-oneness is a divinely complicated concept that we'll always have a little trouble finding the right words for; but the essential truth that the Bible teaches is the God the Father is God, God the Son (Jesus) is God, and God the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit is God but the Father is not the Son or the Holy Spirit, the Son is not the Father or the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son. They are three distinct persons existing in a single entity. God is the perfectly complete being who has always had love and fellowship within Himself and we, being made in His image, are a reflection of that which is why we have the innate need to relate with others.

The critical thing to understand though, is that Jesus is God and that is the only reason He had any power to save us from our sin. Only an infinite God could pay for the infinite amount of sin of humanity. Only a sinless Jesus could have atoned for the sins of others, and only God is sinless.

• Members

​You don't have to understand it.  It is God's word, so you just need to believe it.

• Members

Not long ago I found an IBC online that was near my home which I wrote about it here before. I went to their church a few times and it was amazing. However it wasn't amazing enough to pull me out of my Mormon faith. It's easy for people to say just leave the church because it's complicated. It's hard because you are so tightly tied in to everything with the church. If you leave it's like you've lost your entire family. I suppose no one hear would completely understand and that's OK.

So they a anniversary celebration recently and he kept reaching out asking if I would commit to coming. I really did want to go but my I didn't. I have chronic physical pain and I didn't go. Now the pain wasn't that bad that I couldn't have sat through it all but I couldn't get myself to go. I felt terrible because they are the nicest people I know and I want to support them.

I listened to his preaching from that day and I felt like it was for me. Strange, really it was. Everything he was saying it was as if it was pointed to me. He spoke about how he asked someone to come and they said they would then at the last minute they say they can't. 

I love going to that church however breaking my ties to the Mormon church has proven harder then ever before. I'm riddled with guilt after hearing his sermon online. I feel like I've wronged a friend in the worst way. As if he's trying to do something nice and I just turned away. On the other hand when I see the missionaries or my Mormon friends I feel like I'm in my place... where I belong.

This all must sound all over the place but it was a rough weekend for me. I feel very torn between 2 churches both of which I feel deeply about.

Just wanted to share... 

​I felt led of God to share this with you, it's something I wrote a while back:

Does Jesus Know You?

Matthew 7:21-23  Not every one that saith unto me, [Jesus] Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name donemany wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In this passage, there are people standing before Jesus, who claim to know him (Lord, Lord). They point to the religious good works they do, (prophesied, cast out devils, wonderful works), and claim the name of Christ (in thy name). But Jesus says to them “I NEVER KNEW YOU” and the people in this passage are then going to be cast away into eternal damnation. The point of this passage is to show that not everyone who calls themselves a Christian, is going to have eternal life. You might claim to know him, but the question is, does Jesus know you?

2 Corinthians 13:5  Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith;

We should examine ourselves according to the bible, to make sure that we are in the faith and that Jesus knows us. Allow me to show you what the bible says about having eternal life:

The 1st thing you must know is that you are a sinner.

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Everyone has sinned before. For example some of the Ten Commandments will illustrate this: how many lies have you told in your life? How many times have you stolen things (even small things)? Hopefully you have never murdered anyone, but the bible says that God sees hatred in the heart as murder; how many times have you hated someone? Hopefully you’ve never committed adultery, but Jesus said if you look on someone and have lust in your heart, you commit adultery in your heart; how many times have you done that? These are only four of the ten, but the point is that you are a sinner and so am I.

The 2nd thing you must realize is the penalty for sin:

Romans 6:23a  For the wages of sin is death;

Ezekiel 18:4  Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Revelation 20:11-15  And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

We see here that the wages of sin is spiritual death, and the soul that sins will die spiritual death. Then we see what’s called the great white throne judgment where sinners will be judged according to the sins they have committed (“according to their works”).

The 3rd thing you must realize is that being religious or doing good works cannot take away your sin.

Ephesians 2:8-9  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Titus 3:5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Isaiah 64:6  But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Good works like Baptism, Church Membership, keeping the commandments, etc. cannot save us and take away our sins, because our righteousness (our good works) are like filthy rags in God’s sight!

4th you must realize that Jesus paid the penalty for you sin:

John 4:9-10  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

God loves us, so he sent Jesus to die on the cross and he became the propitiation (the satisfactory payment to appease God’s wrath) for our sins.

5th you must personally receive Jesus Christ as your savior:

John 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Now, Let’s see what the Bible says is the way we receive Jesus:

John 6:40  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

We must believe on Jesus. In today’s world, believing in God means believing he exists, but this is not what it means to believe on Jesus in the bible. To believe in someone means to trust their abilities or their character, For example, If I said I believe in you to pick me up from school, it would mean I have faith in your abilities. In the same way, we must depend on or have faith or believe in Jesus and his ability to save us; this is another reason why good works or being religious cannot save us—we must have faith in Jesus’ ability and not our own. If you are depending upon your own goodness to save you, then by definition you are not believing on Jesus!

Nahum 1:7  The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

John 3:16-18  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 

John 3:36  He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. 

John 6:40  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. 

John 6:47  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. 

John 10:7-9  Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.  All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture

John 11:25-26  Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? 

You must make a PERSONAL decision to trust in Christ today. The only way you will not be one of those who Jesus says he never knew, is if you make the personal, one-time decision to receive Christ. This is called “repentance unto life” in the bible. Have you done this? I am not asking if you were baptized, were confirmed, are a member of a church, have spoken in tongues, have had a religious experience, if you try to be good, or if you are a good Catholic, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witness, Baptist, Methodist, Buddhist, etc. I am asking if you have personally received Jesus Christ by repenting of your sin and depending upon Christ to save you. Will you receive Christ today?

Romans 10:9,10,13  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation....For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Today you can pray to God and ask Christ to save you from your sins, tell him you are sorry, ask him to cleanse you from your sins and give you eternal life. Then, and only then, will Jesus know you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

​You don't have to understand it.  It is God's word, so you just need to believe it.

​When I read what you wrote it made me think of those to follow blindly. Should you not want to understand so that you know what you follow is the truth? I'm but nature an analytically person so I need to break things down and understand the why. I guess this is not the case for many.