• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unction from above....

• Members

Anyone here old enough to remember the days when we prayed for "unction" from above in witnessing and serving the Lord Jesus Christ?

Anyone remember the song, "Have I done my best for Jesus?"

Who died upon the cruel tree? To think of His great sacrifice at Calv'ry! I know my Lord expects the best from me. (Chorus) How many are the lost that I have lifted? How many are the chained I've helped to free? I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus, When He has done so much for me? The hours that I have wasted are so many, The hours I've spent for Christ so few; Because of all my lack of love for Jesus, I wonder if His heart is breaking too. (Chorus) How many are the lost that I have lifted? How many are the chained I've helped to free? I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus, When He has done so much for me? I wonder, have I cared enough for others, Or have I let them die alone? I might have helped a wand'rer to the Saviour, The seed of precious Life I might have sown. (Chorus) How many are the lost that I have lifted? How many are the chained I've helped to free? I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus, When He has done so much for me? No longer will I stay within the valley - I'll climb to mountain heights above; The world is dying now for want of someone To tell them of the Saviour's matchless love. (Chorus) How many are the lost that I have lifted? How many are the chained I've helped to free? I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus, When He has done so much for me? [/list:u] Now those are words for today! Those are words to a hymn I can sing with prayer in my heart!

I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus,

I don't consider myself terribly old but I can certainly remember both the song and the prayers for unction. Probably because those days are still here. :Green That is a great song and unction is very important. :thumb

• Members

Yes, we sing that song.

As far as unctions (I am going to post the definition for anyone not sure), I wonder if that's a colloquial term? We prayed for the anointing of the Spirit, but the only time I've heard the word "unction" used was in reference to the Catholic sacrament.

Is it a southern thing or is it prevalent everywhere and I've just not heard it before?

unc

I hear "the anointing of the Spirit" used quite a bit more than "unction" these days and I don't have any problem with that because they mean the same thing and when you are praying aloud you want to be understood. No point using words the hearers may or may not understand. I can't say if using the word "unction" is a "southern" thing or not, but it is still fairly common, and at one time it was even more common.

• Members

I don't recall ever hearing this song.

As for unction being southern, I grew up in the south, grew up in a Baptist Church, don't ever recall anyone really using this word, just recall hearing it when it was read from the Bible.

As how long back my memory goes, I'm 61 years young going on 62.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1 John 2:20 (KJV)

In fact we read this verse Sunday night in our Bible study and discussed the lack of hardly ever hearing this word used. Its neat we discussed this word Sunday night now a question is asked about it.

• Administrators

I absolutley love this song!!! It ranks right up there next to "I'll Wish I Had Given Him More."

http://hymnal.calvarybaptistsv.org/393.html (tune)

By and by when I look on His face,
Beautiful face, thorn shadowed face;
I'll wish I had given Him more.
More, so much more,
More of my life than I e'er gave before
By and by when He holds out His hands,
Welcoming hands, nail riven hands;
More, so much more,
More of my love than I e'er gave before,

In the light of that heavenly place,
Light from His face, beautiful face;
In the light of that heavenly place,
More, so much more,
Treasures unbounded for Him I adore,

We sing both of them in our church. "Unction" is something that I used to hear when I was younger - living in WA state. Now, though, it's more terms like being filled with the Holy Spirit, led by the Spirit, constrained to do His will, etc.