• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church building

• Moderators

Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga: The church decided to add a 2 story addition to the building. The church ordered the materials as needed, the men got in there and built -- no committee needed.

East Milton, Fl: The church decided to double the building size. I drew up the electrical plans and had an engineer stamp them, the carpenter in the church ordered the necessary materials, same with electrician, carpet man and drywaller (no plumbing needed adding), the men and boys of the church built it, we called the inspector. No committee necessary.

• Members

I was involved in a church building project years ago.  My therapist says just 24 more visits and I might be able to at least get rid of that nervous twitch in my face and sleep through the night again...My recommendation is to put all your deacons in a box with holes, and then when you break ground and start building, plug the holes.

• Moderators

I was involved in a church building project years ago.  My therapist says just 24 more visits and I might be able to at least get rid of that nervous twitch in my face and sleep through the night again...My recommendation is to put all your deacons in a box with holes, and then when you break ground and start building, plug the holes.

​kind of off-topic: maybe if IFB churches began to put deacons into the box the Lord placed them into when their job was established, they wouldn't be an issue.  Never understood where deacon boards full of people who told the pastor what to do, even came from-what an unbiblical position!  Put the deacons to work taking up the slack for the pastor so he can concentrate on prayer and study of the word of God for the purpose of preaching better. Home visits, hospital visits, door-to-door visitation, all should be jobs for deacons, not the pastor, if the church is big enough to have deacons.

Okay-back to topic. Nope, never been on a committee for building, don't even have a building to build.

Edited by Ukulelemike

• Moderators

​kind of off-topic: maybe if IFB churches began to put deacons into the box the Lord placed them into when their job was established, they wouldn't be an issue.  Never understood where deacon boards full of people who told the pastor what to do, even came from-what an unbiblical position!  Put the deacons to work taking up the slack for the pastor so he can concentrate on prayer and study of the word of God for the purpose of preaching better. Home visits, hospital visits, door-to-door visitation, all should be jobs for deacons, not the pastor, if the church is big enough to have deacons.

Okay-back to topic. Nope, never been on a committee for building, don't even have a building to build.

​While we're there (I'm back in town), when you look @ some of the things that the deacons ought to be doing -- too many churches have deacons who are old coots who couldn't hold up to it with 2 pairs of suspenders and an oxygen tank. But it seems that the prevailing attitude is "once a deacon, always a deacon!". Many pastors are still wet behind the ears, the youth directors don't even have any of their children out of nursery, the old men and women (unless the guy is a deacon) have retired from seeking to teach the younger and critique them instead and the deacons have to have an EMT check to see if they're still alive when they're at church.

Okay, I've been driving 15 hours, I'm gone to bed -- Sunday School in 9 hours.