• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Freemasonary in the midst of the brethren

• Members
18 hours ago, Invicta said:

Would you like to explain your reasoning in that post.

Before one is Baptized via immersion in a Baptist Church they have to state to the minister that they gave their life to Christ. And thus if Acuff and Dickens were Baptized via immersion in Baptist Churches then they stated to their ministers that they gave their lives to Christ.

17 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but ministers don't know everything about their members or their member's spiritual states. They may have some indication...or a good bit of indication...but they don't know everything. As to their funerals, I don't think it would have gone over very well if the ministers would have spent time reproving Acuff and Dickens for their involvement in Masonry (or any other sin) during their funerals. 

Friend, I know it's hard to believe that people we look up to, admire, or adore have things that aren't worthy of looking up to, admiring, or adoring...but men are men. They sin. They do things they shouldn't. Graham was involved with things he shouldn't have been from the time he started. He was ecumenical from the outset. It just wasn't as obvious then...

Let's get our eyes off of man...realizing that ALL men sin...no matter how famous, esteemed, or popular they are in the realm of Christianity and the world. 

The Lord Jesus Christ is who we should look to...not Graham, Acuff, Dickens, or Krauss. :)

Acuff and Dickens Baptist ministers of course knew that they were involved in Masonry(Both Acuff and Dickens were 33rd Degree Masons) but their ministers stated during their funerals that they were Born Again and had an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and thus were saved regardless of their involvement with Masonry.

• Members
1 hour ago, John Yurich said:

Acuff and Dickens Baptist ministers of course knew that they were involved in Masonry(Both Acuff and Dickens were 33rd Degree Masons) but their ministers stated during their funerals that they were Born Again and had an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and thus were saved regardless of their involvement with Masonry.

Okay.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 5/31/2015 at 5:36 PM, OLD fashioned preacher said:

About 2 years ago I did a series on Free Masonry, followed by Islam, followed by Mormonism -- many, many parallels and similarities within them.

Oh, yes, the similarities. Joseph Smith, founder of Mormonism, borrowed heavily from Freemasonry, introducing it into his religion. The things they do in their temple mimics the Mason's initiation. Although Mormons will often deny this and say their temples are of God as revealed to Smith.

Edited by TheSword1227

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 5/30/2015 at 10:27 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Here in Georgia (my area at least), the churches are full of Masons...FULL.

Laymen, teachers, deacons, and pastors...the churches are FULL of Masons and Eastern Star members. The general view is that Masonry is a "christian" organization, but when you point out the inconsistencies with Masonry and the Bible, it falls on deaf ears and you're quickly seen as a troublemaker.

I can't tell you how many times I've shaken hands during "fellowship time" at different churches and received the sissy, limp-grip, thumb-between-the-knuckle Masonic handshake. Makes my skin crawl...

Two things I learned early in my preaching...

If you want to have preaching opportunities where I live, then don't ever preach against...

1. Masons
  2. Democrats

Been a while since I've been invited to preach anywhere around here... :scratchchin:   :nuts:

In Tennessee & Kentucky you don't preach against moonshine either!   

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 9:28 PM, Old-Pilgrim said:

How many times are Christians warned against the cult of Freemasonry?

I can't remember ever hearing any warnings against Freemasonry from the pulpit. Other than one time I travelled about 35 miles to hear a guest speaker from the other side of the world.

Any views?

I think that Free Masonry is pretty prevalent among Baptists, especially among the SBC ones, which is strange, as their own group investigated it, and concluded that no Christian should join and be part of it!

• Members
2 hours ago, DaChaser said:

I think that Free Masonry is pretty prevalent among Baptists, especially among the SBC ones, which is strange, as their own group investigated it, and concluded that no Christian should join and be part of it!

I've known people who wear the Mason's ring and have the stickers or license plate holders on their cars or trucks. We have one in our church, I don't know if he is saved or not, God knows. I don't understand how he can hear the Gospel message so clearly, so often, and still associate with the Masons. I've heard some off color remarks and cursing from him. I've also heard him describe how he accompanied a previous preacher on Thursday visitation. If he went with me on a visit I wouldn't let him speak because its well known you never know what will come out of his mouth. I don't know of any fruit of the Spirit displayed by him. I've never asked him how frequently he associates with them, I'll have to ask him.

• Members
18 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I've known people who wear the Mason's ring and have the stickers or license plate holders on their cars or trucks. We have one in our church, I don't know if he is saved or not, God knows. I don't understand how he can hear the Gospel message so clearly, so often, and still associate with the Masons. I've heard some off color remarks and cursing from him. I've also heard him describe how he accompanied a previous preacher on Thursday visitation. If he went with me on a visit I wouldn't let him speak because its well known you never know what will come out of his mouth. I don't know of any fruit of the Spirit displayed by him. I've never asked him how frequently he associates with them, I'll have to ask him.

My Father was a Shriner, 33 degree Scottish rite Mason, and they are into Lucifer worship and terminology, as they have secret name of God , and have occulted rituals, so no Christian should be involved in it!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

My dad became a 33rd degree mason, but after he was saved, he quietly disassociated himself from them. He told me that he had taken a vow to not divulge their secrets & therefore wouldn't, not even to my mom & I, but he warned me that one cannot be both a Christian & a devoted mason, & that he had chosen Christianity.

John Ankerberg had a series of shows that exposed many of the secrets of Freemasonry. Many of those shows, & similar ones, are available on YouTube.

• Members
On 5/30/2015 at 9:28 PM, Old-Pilgrim said:

How many times are Christians warned against the cult of Freemasonry?

I can't remember ever hearing any warnings against Freemasonry from the pulpit. Other than one time I travelled about 35 miles to hear a guest speaker from the other side of the world.

Any views?

seems to be popular among certain Baptist churches!

• Moderators

I have taught plenty on the Masons, though there is little presence of them in our area.

That wasnt always the case, however: from what my wife tells me, who lived here before I did, the Masons ran the police department on the local Army depot; if you weren't a mason, you didnt get hired. Later, the Mormons took over from them. Of course, they're closely associated. 

But our local Masonic lodge, like our local LDS 'church', have both shut down, so not much concern with them.

• Members
On 5/16/2020 at 4:27 PM, Ukulelemike said:

I have taught plenty on the Masons, though there is little presence of them in our area.

That wasnt always the case, however: from what my wife tells me, who lived here before I did, the Masons ran the police department on the local Army depot; if you weren't a mason, you didnt get hired. Later, the Mormons took over from them. Of course, they're closely associated. 

But our local Masonic lodge, like our local LDS 'church', have both shut down, so not much concern with them.

father was a 33% degree mason, and the Masons for some strange reason seem to appeal to certain Baptist!

• Members

The black churches in my area (Southern Ohio, Huntington, WV)  have lots of prince hall Affiliated Shriners in them. Huntington, WV was the annual meeting site for this org for a number of years, but the city leaders stupidly let this meeting move elsewhere. Its membership was largely-wealthy & spent a lotta $$ in the area ! It included many black business leaders & entertainers as well as pro athletes.

While freemasonry is not uncommon here, it's not predominant. My IFB church has a couple of masons, but some are like my dad in leaving the org when they became Christians.