• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

As far as I can see, the two main covenants are the old and the new,

The Old Covenant of works was made specifically with Moses and the Isrealites but the laws contained in it applied to everyone on earth Ro 2:14-15, it was never to bring redemption atonement or eternal salvation, all that was promised in the New covenant.

The New Covenant which we enter into when we are born again. Abraham inherited the promise but not the fulfilment.

I've had a look at covenant theology, but it isn't based on scripture, and I've had a look at some dispensational theology, but they think the New Covenant isn't for us or for now.

I think the new covenant is basicly the contract of Salvation which is for whosoever will, it is promised primarily to Israel but is also available to the Gentiles, which was a bit of a surprise, just like when your first born son announces that he is going to be married, a bit of a surprise. Does this topic need to be as complicated as people make it out to be?

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

As far as I can see, the two main covenants are the old and the new,

The Old Covenant of works was made specifically with Moses and the Isrealites but the laws contained in it applied to everyone on earth Ro 2:14-15, it was never to bring redemption atonement or eternal salvation, all that was promised in the New covenant.

The New Covenant which we enter into when we are born again. Abraham inherited the promise but not the fulfilment.

I've had a look at covenant theology, but it isn't based on scripture, and I've had a look at some dispensational theology, but they think the New Covenant isn't for us or for now.

I think the new covenant is basicly the contract of Salvation which is for whosoever will, it is promised primarily to Israel but is also available to the Gentiles, which was a bit of a surprise, just like when your first born son announces that he is going to be married, a bit of a surprise. Does this topic need to be as complicated as people make it out to be?

​Old-Pilgrim,

I think you have a good, broad, grasp of the covenants already.

1. Romans 2:12-15 is a broad overview of the Old Testament Law and how the keeping of the Law could not bring about the redemption of the soul. For our puposes here we need to refer to the Law as Exodus 20 through Deuteronomy 34.

Please see Hebrews 7:1-28 to see how the Levitical Priesthood, and the Law could not bring redemption. In Hebrews 8:1-13, and 9:1-10 and 10:1-4 we read that the Old Covenant (the Law) was about to pass away in order to bring in the New Covenant. "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away." Hebrews 8:13

Please rememember, the Old Covenant is the Law from Exodus 20 - Deuteronomy34 it is not the complete Old Testament.

2. The New Covenant, the covenant of Salvation, as interpreted by Hebrews 9:11-28, 10:5-21, was instituted by Christ and His sacrificial death on the cross of Calvary for the sins of the world.

3. As you mentioned, and are entirely correct, the promises given to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob have been promised, but not as yet fulfilled.

I am going to give you a link to my study in Revelation 20:4:6, "The Covenants of God Fulfilled," for a more detailed answer to your questions.

As you mentioned, it can get complicated and sometimes confusing. One of the problems in our age is that some of the brethren teach an erroneous doctrine concerning the covenants called, "Covenant Theology," and "Replacement Theology." Both of these systems of belief are in doctrinal error.

First, I would suggest that you read and study the Revelation chapter 19-22 link above in order to get to the Revelation 20:4-6 study. Second, if you have any comments on the Revelation 20:4-6 study you may ask them at the study site itself or come back here and I will try and help you further.

Regards,

Alan