• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Witnessing to Mormon missionaries

• Members

I know most folks won't give them the time of day, but I guess I have a "soft spot" in my heart for them.  Before I was saved my grandfather became a Mormon and took it hook, line, and sinker to his grave.

When I deal with them I will usually point them to Galatians 1:8 and show them that the gospel taught by Joseph Smith is not the gospel of the bible.  I typically do not try to get into their insane doctrines right off the bat.  I try to always be kind and respectful but will not give an inch and keep using scripture.

I will only meet with the same missionaries twice.  Then try and wait a while till new ones come to my area and try again.  I have seen no visible fruit from this but hopefully God has planted seeds.

Have any of y'all had much experience with them?  I would love to discuss it and bounce ideas around.  Has anyone seen any actual get saved and leave Mormonism?

• Members

I use a similar approach with Mormons. Take them to Scripture which makes it clear their Mormon teaching isn't in agreement with the Bible. Pointing out that Jesus not only is God, but always was God (not one God among many, not a mere man who became God) has proven a helpful. It's always good to stick to Scripture and not allow them to sidetrack the conversation into other matters.

While I've not personally had a Mormon receive Christ in my presence, we have a couple of former Mormons in our church as well as a couple who used to be missionaries to Mormons.

If they are going to stop by my house for a chat I figure that's a good time for me to chat with them about Jesus!

• Members

First - as you no doubt know,  they will try to keep moving the subject around so you can't tie them down and discuss a particular point for long. In this they introduce side issues and distractions to allow them to avoid hard questions.

Second - baptism is a place you can spend time with them. They have a faulty view of baptism (that it saves basically) and knowing where to take them can make the gears turn in their head.

They normally don't return after a good baptism discussion (they are told not to in their debriefing) so No, I  haven't seen anyone saved from it. But you do see them thinking hard.

• Members

I know only one ex-Mormon personally. When he left Mormonism, he also rejected all forms of religion and is an atheist. 

There are Mormon missionaries here, and for awhile there were two guys and two girls who were working in my area of the city. I saw them several times and chatted with them a bit, once with my dad in front of our church, once while passing out tracts, and the rest while walking my dog. They were friendly and I took a page out of my dad's book, when they offer me their literature, I offer them a tract in return, and they do take it (whether they have read it, I don't know). I have not gotten into a deep conversation with one yet. I haven't seen them in a long while so they have either moved on to another part of the city or their time here was up and they have returned to the States. 

• Members

We have had very few Mormons coming to our door.  We have however,  had a lot of contact with many of them in this area.  One of my husband's carriers is a Mormon gal, and yet he has had the opportunity now and again to make comments about what we believe... rather than to refute Mormonism.  I do believe that his comments to her have been a gentle challenge, and the verses he has shared have backed the comments up.  We do have lots of  JW's that come to our door, and the Lord has sure taught me a lot over the years about what to say and what NOT to say!  :huh:  It used to be when I'd see them coming, I'd go to a back room and not answer the door.  Now the Lord has given me a great love for these people and my heart goes out very much to them because I know that my Saviour loves them just as much as He loves me, died for each of them just as He died for me, and desires that they see their need for salvation and accept the free gift of it.  In the little piece I wrote (My Mean Mom), I mentioned that if we are so busy doing what is right, there won't be time to do things that are wrong...and if we fill our minds with what is right (the Word), we won't have so much room for what is wrong.  That is so very true!!  And! It's so very, very exciting!  Oh my!  How can any of His own ever get apathetic or lukewarm about Him and His Word?  Anyway...not long ago, an older JW fellow came to the door...and it sort of caught me unaware, but praise God....no problem!  That poor fellow!!  LOL!  I get so excited about the Lord, that I was talking "ninety miles an hour" and he simply couldn't get a word in edgewise!  All I did was start off by telling him that he didn't have anything better to offer me than what I already had, and then proceeded to share with him what I do believe and quote a few verses.  What a blessing it was to me to get to be a "motor mouth" for the Lord!  Finally, he just sort of shook his head when I breathed (lol), and offered me one of their papers...of which I was able to politely refuse by telling him that I go solely by the Bible and the KJV at that!  Even as I post this I'm smiling again because that experience was such a blessing to me, and I hope and pray a "seed" of truth for this fellow.  :) Our God will thoroughly "furnish" us with all of the utterance that we need as we daily hunger and thirst after righteousness to His honor and glory!

• Members

The Mor(m)ons can be even worse than Mooslims in their rejection of the Word.  But they can be reached, especially the young ones.  My ministry to them is mostly teen-oriented, and I believe that success is possible.  These are rather worldly people, and if you can get their teens when they are away from their parents, you can talk some sense into them.

• Members

To tell you the truth no.  I think in about 2005.  I witnessed to a couple of Mormons on bicycles that were proselytizing the Mormon religion in the city. I know of where two inaccessible Mormon temples are in the city.  There may be more.  There are JW's at train stations.  Sometimes they get a permit.  I have talked with them.  They don't do much.  I have run into lol.  The Black Hebrews a little and some Muslims.  Probably more Muslims than the others.  Not that many though.