• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Brethren,

I would like to propose that we have some better internet etiquette, or ‘Netiquette,’ standards for posting on OnLine Baptist.

In my experience some of the folks who are adversarial to a subject that I hold close to my heart will use improper, or unwarranted, methods of large font, highly colored backgrounds, and the twisting of my words to take my words out of context.

These improper methods of using the fonts, quotes, color highlighting, is used to browbeat, intimidate, and bully others so they will not respond. Also, in my experience, they have used these methods, especially taking words out of context, to slander my character, actions, and belittle my postings.

In my estimation, they are also designed to intimidate others from following my (and others), postings and threads.  

The following is few of the internet etiquette standards that I found on the internet with the appropriate links to the site quoted are for your consideration.

Internet Etiquette, or, Netiquette, Standards.

Online Baptist

Do not make needless, incessant usage of:
a) ALL-CAPS;

Wikipedia

“Another rule is to avoid typing in all caps or grossly enlarging script for emphasis, which is considered to be the equivalent of shouting or yelling.”[1]

Kim Tranter

1. When typing never write in all capital letters.   That is shouting.  People don’t like it when you shout at them in person.  And they sure don’t like when you shout at them on the net!

2. Don’t plagiarize.  Someone spent a long time coming up with their content.  When you borrow something from someone, give them the credit.  Site their name or their site.  Give the site when you have gotten your information.

3. Use proper quotes and always use the whole quote.  Don’t take quotes out of context and don’t be selective about which part of the quote you want to use.

4. Don’t gossip and keep personal information personal.  Don’t tell stories that you don’t know for a fact to be true.  And often, just because it’s true, doesn’t mean that it needs to be repeated. [2]

Forum Netiquette

Do not write in ALL CAPS. ALL CAPS is considered rude for various reasons. It’s the online equivalent of shouting. It’s also hard to read. If you use ALL CAPS, it is impolite to other users and will create a very poor impression.

Avoid colored backgrounds, images, large files, and excessive HTML.[3]

Griffith University

Don't shout at people or threaten them. Don't use all capital letters, (UPPERCASE), or oversized fonts. The reader will likely feel they are being shouted at, or even threatened. If you must use UPPERCASE, use it very sparingly and only to emphasize a particularly important point. Ask yourself, 'if I was talking to the recipient face to face, would I be raising my voice to them?' One way to add emphasis is to enclose the word/phrase with an asterisk, for example "It is *important* not to shout at people by using UPPERCASE". Large sized fonts (greater than 12) are useful for people with visual impairment, but are not appropriate for general use.[4]

The Golden Rule

The Lord Jesus said, “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for his is the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Moderators

I understand it, but sometimes you just HAVE to make an important point.  LOL.

Actually, I do agree, though in some cases I think its alright to make a point-clearly I believe the context will make it clear if its meant to be a SHOUT or an emphasis.  I do like good etiquette, though. And protocol.

• Members

I think Alan is being too emotional and not considering that some here, including myself, have never even considered boldening lettering or italicising or underlining words in a paragraph or sentence as shouting or threatening someone.

Some of us are old and don't really think that everyone speaks monotone on the internet.

I am sure Alan does not speak like a robot. I have heard him 'speak' dozens of times.

• Members

I think Alan is being too emotional and not considering that some here, including myself, have never even considered boldening lettering or italicising or underlining words in a paragraph or sentence as shouting or threatening someone.

Some of us are old and don't really think that everyone speaks monotone on the internet.

I am sure Alan does not speak like a robot. I have heard him 'speak' dozens of times.

​Only addressing the subject portion; I don't see using bold lettering, italics or underlining as any form of shouting, threat or intimidation. Those are all commonly and widely used in professional writings as well as common writings.

Using all upper case letters (beyond just to make a word or phrase stand out) is considering "internet shouting" and is also difficult to read. I don't recall anyone who makes their entire post using upper case letters here.

Personal attacks, name calling, making pointed jabs (which a few do here at times) might fall into the category of being seen as threats and/or intimidation for some people. I do know some people won't respond to posts with such poor, unchristian attitudes displayed because they don't want to risk such aimed at them and then risk falling to the temptation to respond in a sinful manner.

Considering we are all brothers/sisters in Christ here we should be mindful to abide by Scripture to esteem one another better than ourselves, to love one another, to be kind to one another, to seek the best for one another.

When someone visiting reads posts here with folks speaking in a worldly manner we are not giving a proper witness or testimony.

• Members

Brethren,

Permit me to bring out an example of improper posting etiquette.

Please look at the example below this posting. Please notice the extreme font size that ThePilgim used against my post and then Covenanter did the same thing in order to intimidate and embrasses me publicly and then have the gall to miss-represent me by highlighting the words falsehood and unblief" instead of quoting properly my whole sentence. This my beloved brethren is an example of improper posting equette, internet shouting, intimidation, belttling, trying to "cowing," a person  and browbeat me, and an effort to create strife. It is an un-christian in all aspects. It is pure deceit using impoprer posting etiquette.

The aforementioned example was used upon me because they disagreed with me on the posting of Daniel 9:24-27 and  Hosea 1:9-11.  Because they could not refute biblically my doctrinal statment they used improper posting etiquette, including improper quoting,  to try and prevent my doctrinal teaching so other people on OnLine Baptist could learn the truth. Improper internet posting methods are used to hide deceit.

"Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole congregation." Proverbs 26:27

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

1. the state of being untrue.
    "the truth or falsehood of the many legends that surround her"
    • a lie.
      plural noun: falsehoods
      synonyms:lieuntruthfibfalsificationfabricationinventionfictionstory, cock-and-bull story, flight of fancy; More

• lying.
      "the right to sue for malicious falsehood"
      synonyms:lyingmendacity, untruthfulness, fibbing, fabricationinventionperjury,telling stories;

Rather than use the word "falsehood" which implies a person is a liar, would not it be better to say, a person is in error which does not imply ill will on there part?

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

1. lack of religious belief; an absence of faith.

Stating a person is in a state of unbelief just because they don't agree with you might also not be a good idea.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Posted · Report post

On ‎2015‎年‎5‎月‎28‎日‎ ‎上午‎, ThePilgrim said:

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

• a lie.
      synonyms:lieuntruthfibfalsificationfabricationinventionfictionstory, cock-and-bull story, flight of fancy; More

• lying.
      synonyms:lyingmendacity, untruthfulness, fibbing, fabricationinventionperjury,telling stories;

Rather than use the word "falsehood" which implies a person is a liar, would not it be better to say, a person is in error which does not imply ill will on there part?

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

Stating a person is in a state of unbelief just because they don't agree with you might also not be a good idea.

Thanks Pilgrim,

Alan's denunciation of Geneva was for a quotation of Scripture that supported his comment. Geneva could have added 1 Peter 2:9-10 which confirms that Hosea was understood by Peter and Paul to be being fulfilled by the Gospel.

Also, Peter understood the "holy nation" prophecy of Exo. 19:5-6 as being fulfilled in the people he was writing to - the first century church of Jew and Gentile believers.

Remember it's all to be fulfilled in 70 weeks - Calvary being the central event. 

• Members

Because the fonts are huge, basically an 'in your face' sort of thing. It may not have been intended that way, but that's how it appears to the one it was directed at. The original poster of those definitions could have easily re-did those to be normal sized fonts but chose not to, probably just because they didn't think to do so. I've noticed a lot of people (not just the one person from this example) when they copy paste definitions they don't re-size the fonts and so in the midst of their post there are these huge fonts like that is their main emphasis and they're 'shouting' to get that emphasis across. (all caps and extra huge fonts are both 'shouting') That may or  may not have been their intent, but that is how some perceive it. Plus, in my opinion, it breaks up the flow of the post, and whether I agree with the one writing or not, when there are huge fonts, a ton of colors, or something else that breaks up the flow of the post or train of thought, I lose interest and stop reading, or skip past the part that annoys me. 

I've noticed that many times when something is copy/pasted from another source, the font is almost always huge. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to re-size the item copy/pasted. For example:

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

I simply re-sized, bolded the term to be defined, and got rid of emphasizing purple words and it took less than 30 seconds. The definition is now not as 'in your face' and the writer could go on to make whatever point it is they were trying to make. 

• Members

A person who is desireable to use Christian ethics, and proper internet posting, would resize the copy/paste definitions. It seems apparent to me that his was not a copy/paste problem. And, they could have easily copy/pasted the definitions from a normal dictionary site that does not enlarge their font in order to browbeat others. The sites that I go to for definaitions do not use this type of fonts and character style.

1. The size of the fonts.

2. Under falsehood: The highlighting of words that I did not use; lie, untruth, fib, falseification, invention, fiction, and story; lying mendacity, invention and perjury. 

They deliberately tried to change the issue from a study in Daniel 9:24-27 and Hosea 1:9-11 to denounce my character through improper posting method. There is still the issue of using highlighting words in my posting that I did not highlight. This is unethical, un-Christian, and to amybody that has written a college thesis, not an acceptable practice.

Permit me to quote the, "MLA Handbook for Writers of Research papers."The accuracy of quotations in research writing is extemely important. They must reproduce the original sources exactly." Quotation from: Gibaldi, Joseph, MLA manual for Writers of Research Papers, Fifth Edition. New York: The Modern Language Association of America. 1999. Page 80 When they quoted me they did not quote me accurately; they used highlighting to change the quote, and to distract the reader from the subject of the quote, in order  to produce a new subject in and then they denounced the new subject. That is deceit. That is a deliberate deceit.

They are intimidating and embrassing because they were designed to miss-lead others into a improper interpretation of my words and my teaching in order to cause me stop my teaching of biblical doctrine which they do not agree with.

• Members

Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your posting. You are very correct. The improper postings that I gave as an example, in my opinion, was an, "in your face," posting for the other brethren on OnLine Baptist to see in order to deliberatley embarsses me and to detract from the study on Daniel 9:24-27 and Hosea 1:9-11.

Thank you also very much for your example of copying and pasting and resizing. It is not only a good example in this situation but it is also helpful to all of us in helping us know how to resize pastings. 

• Members

Brethren,

Permit me to bring out an example of improper posting etiquette.

Please look at the example below this posting. Please notice the extreme font size that ThePilgim used against my post and then Covenanter did the same thing in order to intimidate and embrasses me publicly and then have the gall to miss-represent me by highlighting the words falsehood and unblief" instead of quoting properly my whole sentence. This my beloved brethren is an example of improper posting equette, internet shouting, intimidation, belttling, trying to "cowing," a person  and browbeat me, and an effort to create strife. It is an un-christian in all aspects. It is pure deceit using impoprer posting etiquette.

The aforementioned example was used upon me because they disagreed with me on the posting of Daniel 9:24-27 and  Hosea 1:9-11.  Because they could not refute biblically my doctrinal statment they used improper posting etiquette, including improper quoting,  to try and prevent my doctrinal teaching so other people on OnLine Baptist could learn the truth. Improper internet posting methods are used to hide deceit.

"Whose hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness shall be shewed before the whole congregation." Proverbs 26:27

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

• a lie.

• lying.

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Posted · Report post

Thanks Pilgrim,

Alan's denunciation of Geneva was for a quotation of Scripture that supported his comment. Geneva could have added 1 Peter 2:9-10 which confirms that Hosea was understood by Peter and Paul to be being fulfilled by the Gospel.

Also, Peter understood the "holy nation" prophecy of Exo. 19:5-6 as being fulfilled in the people he was writing to - the first century church of Jew and Gentile believers.

Remember it's all to be fulfilled in 70 weeks - Calvary being the central event. 

****This is an error on my part - explanation below****

​Why on earth are pushing your false doctrines in a thread about etiquette ?

Talk about poor etiquette - it is not enough that you push this trash on a site opposed to your view, but you infect just about every thread with it, whether it is relevant to the thread or not......

If that is not poor etiquette, I don't know what is.

Note: this appeared on my phone to be a fresh post, but it was pointed out to me that it is a quote of that post.

I apologise for my error, but will leave the post so that GP's post makes sense.

Edited by DaveW

• Members

Myself, I have no idea how to reformat copy/paste. If I copy/paste something at it posts large, small, bold, hard to read or whatever the case may be, it's because that's the way it copy/pasted, not because of any direct intent.

Beyond that, should we really be taking postings so personally that we become offended over the formatting?

• Members

It's not difficult to reformat copy/paste. Simply highlight the portion needing to be fixed (this can be done by pressing the left mouse button and sliding your mouse over the text while keeping your finger pressed on the button, when you've highlighted the portion, lift up your finger, if you click again the highlight goes away) and then go to the 'size' button located by your avatar and re-size, fix the color, or change the font. And you're finished. 

As for your question, that's up to the individual the post was aimed at, don't you think? Who are we to say what a person can and can not be offended by? You (general you) might think something is small potatoes, while someone else may think it's the worst thing ever. This has zero to do with being insanely PC, but everything to do with having and showing a good, Christian attitude/spirit. Proper internet etiquette lessens the chances of mis-communication or offense when discussing certain topics. 

• Moderators

Well, in my experience, people take offense for all sorts of reasons - and they're not always good ones. Sometimes its us who need to be a little less prickly. (Ha - preaching at myself there this morning. :frog:)   I have to agree with John... seriously... you're taking offense at the copy/paste formatting of a definition?!  The purple is a bit colorful, but hey - your quotes used blue & teal, Uke has a red sig line and Geneva has a blue sig. I think we can let the purple pass this time. :wink