• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Crosses for decoration or Christian figurines

• Members

I was wondering what others thoughts on using a cross as a decoration and symbol of  Christian faith in our homes. Not a crucifix. I also have little figurines. One of Jesus tending sheep. Another of praying hands. I had picture of Jesus, not a long haired one. I like to see things around me that constantly remind me of my faith. None of it is worshiped in any way of course.  When new people visit, if they're Christians they'll ask me how long I've been saved or if I'm a Christian. I  think that when non-believers visit they are reminded of Jesus. I have bible verses as decals above my pictures also. 

• Administrators

We personally don't have pictures of Jesus, but we have things with crosses on them. And verses.

I agree with Dave- it sounds to me as though you are careful in what you display and in how you treat the items. 

Years ago, I babysat lots of kids. I also taught them because I was teaching our son. I had a large calendar on which I put the date each day, having the kids count the numbrrs out. Well, it was the month of Resurrection Sunday. And I had crosses on the wall (on the outside door, too). The calendar figure for Ressurection Sunday was an open tomb.

Well, I had a couple coming to interview me about babysitting their child. I did not know they were Jewish. :)  I did notice her concerned face when they came in the door...and they asked me about the crosses, the Bible verses on the walls, etc. 

I explained about them...they told me they weren't looking for religious daycare. I told them that I understood. Needless to say the child never got babysat by me.

All of that to say that it was the crosses on the door that let them know right away that Christians lived there - and the stuff inside confirmed it.

• Members

Good posts here. Items with a supposed picture of Jesus on them we avoid. Scripture says we are to have no images of God and in reality we couldn't have a true image of God, not even of Him in His human incarnation as Jesus, since we don't know what God or the incarnate Jesus looks like. To make things even worse, most depictions of Jesus show him with long womanly hair and many also give Him a more feminine rather than masculine face.

We also avoid most things with angels since every description in Scripture of an angel appearing with a human-like form is male but most angel images are of female angels, sometimes fat baby looking angels, or an occasional long haired male angel.

We do have some crosses, also some pictures, magnets and things with Bible verses. I don't recall now if it was a JW or Mormon that came to the door but when they noticed some of these through the door they said something about me having an obvious interest in God. They tried to tell me some of their stuff, which I wasn't interested in, so I referred to Scripture, at which point one of them said something about a praying hands picture with the Lord's prayer on it on our wall. Then he said surely I must want to know what God has to say. So, again, I referred to Scripture and he again tried to turn the attention back to their own unsound literature with the same comment about "Don't you want to know what God has to say?" So, again, I said yes, which is why I read the Bible and don't need other peoples writings which say things contradictory to what God has to say. Cut to the chase...I didn't want to hear their cult writings and they didn't want to see what Scripture says so they left.

I also have a good sized cross hanging from the mirror of my car. It's a nice cross, which came with a very cheap necklace that I took off and pitched. I bought this shortly after I was saved and hung it from the mirror of my truck. Since then it has hung from the mirror of my main vehicle now for over 30 years.

Having certain things around which clearly identify one as Christian can have many benefits. It's a constant reminder to us and it's also a notice to others that we are not ashamed of our faith. Many times such things serve as an opening to conversation about Christ.

There were good reasons the Jews in the OT were told have have such reminders on their doorposts and elsewhere. The same, or at least similar, applies to us today but not as a matter of law, but a matter of love and even public affirmation of our faith.