• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lost my faith

ExRev

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I listed a web site on my last responce so the probably erased it so Ill tell you again another way. I grw up in a baptist home, went to a Baptist school. I didn't loose my faith in God, but I lost my faith in baptist Philosophy, like once savesd always saved. Jesus Preached worthyness, and how to be worthy, he never said, all you have to do is call upon my name and you are guarenteed heaven. :Bible:

• Members
I listed a web site on my last responce so the probably erased it so Ill tell you again another way. I grw up in a baptist home' date=' went to a Baptist school. I didn't loose my faith in God, but I lost my faith in baptist Philosophy, like once savesd always saved. Jesus Preached worthyness, and how to be worthy, he never said, all you have to do is call upon my name and you are guarenteed heaven. :bible:[/quote']
Before I respond to these statements, I'd love for you to expand on them. I'll look at the website you mentioned. I just don't want to waste your time and mine by formulating a response based on an erroneous perception of what you are saying here.

The home I grew up in was completely Arminian...My parents and I had many a discussion about "once saved always saved," since that was what my school taught, but not what my parents believed. I will say that I don't consider the "perseverance of the saints" to be a cardinal Christian doctrine. I know many godly, sincere believers in Christ who do not hold to that doctine. However, the more I have studied, the more I have become convinced that once a person is truly converted, he can never become the old, dead man again. But I know all of the "proof texts" for the Arminian side. I showed them to my Baptist teachers for years. I wasn't convinced about the "perseverance of the saints" by proof texts, but by a broader understanding of soteriology/Scripture as a whole...seeing the whole, unified picture rather than pieces of a puzzle.

One more thing: my faith is not in "Baptist philosophy." If Baptist philosophy was where your faith rested, then thank God you've lost that faith! I do not think that Baptists, as a group, somehow have a corner on truth. What anyone believes is only as true as the Word of God says it is. Therefore, I keep an open mind as I study the Bible. I'd give up any Baptist beliefs I have in a heartbeat if I were convinced by God's Word that they were not true.

• Administrators
Wow!! Are you suggesting that I am not born again? I aspire to reach a spiritual maturity that enables me to see the mind of God so clearly that I can discern the internal conditions of another's heart from just a few sentences. I appreciate your reply but recommend a dose of Prov 18:13.

Please try not to get defensive. We do not know you from anyone else and when we are counseling someone that we do not know, that should always be the first question. If a stranger came to you on the street to ask you for spiritual advice, one of the very first thing you must do is ask if they are saved. We get our share of unsaved folks here. Seeing how nobody here knew you and you never mentioned salvation, it should be asked. People have asked me if I was saved before (people that do not know me) and I always replied by saying, yes, by the grace of God.

With that being said, Praise God that you are saved.

I hope you understand why it was brought up.

• Administrators
I listed a web site on my last responce so the probably erased it so Ill tell you again another way. I grw up in a baptist home' date=' went to a Baptist school. I didn't loose my faith in God, but I lost my faith in baptist Philosophy, like once savesd always saved. Jesus Preached worthyness, and how to be worthy, he never said, all you have to do is call upon my name and you are guarenteed heaven. :bible:[/quote']
The only way any of us can be worthy is through Jesus Christ and the blood He shed on Calvary. That's more than just calling on His name, yes. But it's not a Baptist philosphy - it's Bible!

• Members
Hi everyone. I am a Bible College grad' date=' used to be a pastor. Lost my faith, and haven't been to church in years. would like to get back into a spiritual group, but not sure where to go.[/quote']

Welcome, I am not sure about your losing your faith but I do know that you are not the first person that has come here with that intention.

Welcome ExRev. I hope that we at Online Baptist can be an inspiration to you. Don't get discouraged, as it is our sincere desire to help. The Epistle of Jude 20-21...But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost. Keep yourself in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. KJV. May Christ shine upon you, ExRev.

• Members
Long story but the final straw was my divorce. All the Biblical Counseling that I had been practicing on others did not work for me....So I threw it all out. I was in an IFB church.

Divorce is not an easy thing to go through. Jesus knoweth our frame that it is but dust.
Ps 103:14. He knows all about it all. But I do know this that just like the prodigal He is ready and waiting for you to come home to Him.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I will be praying for you. I know someone else who lost his faith and will not even hardly admit it. You are one step ahead. If you are truly seeking God, He will find you and bring you back. Ask Him to search your heart if you are sincere, He will reveal things to you to help you find your way back. I have been through alot for alot of years and only the last few years have I known God was trying to get a hold of me. I was not at the right kind of churches to help me grow in Christ. So he had to bring me to a place where the only place I had was to look up and let Him take control instead of try to fix things on my own. It's hard when the world tells you self-control, pride and your a survivor. It should be God controlled, humbleness, and look at your Saviour.

[quote="lettheredeemedsayso"][quote="ExRev"]Long story but the final straw was my divorce. All the Biblical Counseling that I had been practicing on others did not work for me....So I threw it all out. I was in an IFB church.[/quote]
[b]
Divorce is not an easy thing to go through. Jesus knoweth our frame that it is but dust.[/b]
Ps 103:14. He knows all about it all. But I do know this that just like the prodigal He is ready and waiting for you to come home to Him.[/quote]

[quote="elijahruth"]I will be praying for you. I know someone else who lost his faith and will not even hardly admit it. You are one step ahead. If you are truly seeking God, He will find you and bring you back. Ask Him to search your heart if you are sincere, He will reveal things to you to help you find your way back. I have been through alot for alot of years and only the last few years have I known God was trying to get a hold of me. I was not at the right kind of churches to help me grow in Christ. So he had to bring me to a place where the only place I had was to look up and let Him take control instead of try to fix things on my own. It's hard when the world tells you self-control, pride and your a survivor. It should be God controlled, humbleness, and look at your Saviour.[/quote]

:goodpost: :amen: lettheredeemedsayso and elijahruth!!

ExRev...you know I am divorced, too. Praise God that neither of my IFB churches ever looked down upon me. :thumb My pastor doesn't believe in treating a divorced person "like a second-class citizen." Neither did/does my other IFB pastor nor his son...the current IFB pastor of the church. All of them have been married for years. :pray for healing that only comes from Christ Jesus. :pray for the Lord to put "compassionate" but "righteous" Christians in your path.
[b]
Luke 4:18-19[/b]...18 [color=#FF0000]THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD [i]IS[/i] UPON ME, BECAUSE HE HATH ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR; HE HATH SENT ME TO HEAL THE BROKENHEARTED, TO PREACH DELIVERANCE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERING OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET AT LIBERTY THEM THAT ARE BRUISED,[/color] 19 [color=#FF0000]TO PREACH THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.[/color] [i]"Rejection at Nazareth"[/i] [b] KJV 1611 AV.[/b]

• Members

Good Post Candlelight.

We are here for you brother. Please stick around and let us reason together and encourage one another. ALL of us have sin issues and many of us have felt defeated at one time or another. Most everyone if not everyone as their secret sins they battle. Remember brother we are in a spiritual war. the flesh against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh. We must start each day fresh, in the Lord and his word, remembering we are forgiven and his as born again children of God. That is Satan's job, is to keep you from spreading the seed of the word. Im sorry for what you have been through. The Lord is still there and I know many here want to help.

God Bless you Brother.

• Members

[quote="deputydog530"]Good Post Candlelight.

We are here for you brother. Please stick around and let us reason together and encourage one another. ALL of us have sin issues and many of us have felt defeated at one time or another. Most everyone if not everyone as their secret sins they battle. Remember brother we are in a spiritual war. the flesh against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh. We must start each day fresh, in the Lord and his word, remembering we are forgiven and his as born again children of God. That is Satan's job, is to keep you from spreading the seed of the word. Im sorry for what you have been through. The Lord is still there and I know many here want to help.

God Bless you Brother.[/quote]
:amen:
Spiritual warfare is what we just got through studying in a bible study I go to. I have never been taught this until I started at an IFB church. The Holy Spirit guided me in many ways before I got to my church now and the pastor is only re-affirming what God has already taught me on those days when I had no one but God to turn to. Praise Jesus for His grace and sacrifice!!!