• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I'm a new member to this Forum and will go by the title WPE3BQL. I hope to be able to participate at some level in at least some of the postings I read on here.

I'm 68 YO, single/never married, and have some medical challenges (stroke, etc.) that limit some of my activities.

My interests vary from radio monitoring, electronics (I'm a retired AT&T Electronic Technician), and our military (Retired from the US Air Force/Air National Guard after serving 23 years as an avionics technician primarily on the C-130 transport aircraft).

Politically I'm very conservative and usually support candidates of the Constitution Party.

Hope to hear from some of you, especially if you're from the Volunteer State [TN].

• Members

WPE3BQL,

Welcome to OnLine Baptist. Glad to hear of a fellow Air Force veteran. I think that you will feel welcomed by all of us. Looking forward to knowing you and your chats in the days ahead.

Alan

• Administrators

Welcome to Online Baptist. I'm curious, the username that you are using is WPE3BQL. Is that random, or does that have some sort of meaning?

Edited by BroMatt

• Members

To Bro. Matt & Alan---WPE3BQL is not a "real" ham call sign and never had any FCC "approval."  It was merely a "Registered Radio Monitoring" call sign issued some 50 years ago by the long-defunct "Popular Electronics" magazine.  I suppose it was more of a marketing thing for PE because now a person who wasn't primarily a ham could now have his/her radio monitoring activities supposedly "registered." :o

For various reasons, I never became a ham.  Back in those days I was more interested in listening to short-wave radio broadcasters on my gigantic Philco radio.

After 50 years, my interests in radio monitoring have changed, but WPE3BQL is still my own personal "call sign".....and I'm sticking with it!!! :thumb:

• Moderators

AMMO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country"

(I have long since separated myself from the "official" AMMO motto due to its profanity)

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

WPE3BQL,

I have a good missionary friend here on Taiwan who is a registered ham radio operator that is why I thought of your call signs being connected with ham radio in some aspect.

I was in the Air Force from 1971-1975. I started out in Avionics, (Lowry Air Force Base, Denver, CO), but, due to personal problems I was reassigned and then went into POL (Petroleum, Oils, and Lubricants). See attached link. http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123313406 

My main job was the fueling up of aircraft. Except for a TDY (Temproary Duty) in the fuel storage tank at Clark AFB in the Philipppines, I spent all of my time in service fueling up aircraft on the flightline. I loved my job and the Lord used it for His glory. While overseas in SEA (SouthEast Asia) during the Vietnam War I was able to fuel up almost all of the different classes of combat aircraft in the Air  Force inventory and while on Taiwan the Lord called me back here as a missionary. During the time stateside I was at two different SAC (Stratigic Air Command) bases (B-52 bombers and KC-135's). I wound up as a 5-level (63150 classification). I left the servcice as an E-4 (at the time Sgt.)

WPE3BQL,

How about you? Anything interesting the brethren might be interested in?

• Members

Well, God did use the USAF to move me out to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ.

It was while I was in Tucson that I visited an off-base IFB church back in April, 1966, where I first heard the Gospel of Christ and received Him as my Savior!!

Then in 1967 I was reassigned to Ramstein AB in (West) Germany.  There I found a small IFB mission for US service personnel that became my church home till my release from the USAF in April, 1969.  I probably learned more about the Bible there than I might have otherwise learned in that 2 year period.:godisgood:

Edited by WPE3BQL