Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Reverend?

Rate this topic

DaveW

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Here in Australia I don't know of one pastor who uses the term "Reverend", either for himself or for a visiting Pastor or evangelist, yet a few guys I know, when they have been to the US have been called "Reverend" when they have preached at IFB churches over there.

Personally, aside from not being a Biblical term, I find it a little offensive to the Lord, as He is the one due reverence, not His servants.

Any thoughts?

Is this common over there?

• Members

I think of it as sort of an academic title, much like Professor.  A man can be a PhD doctor, or a Professor.  Refering to someone as Prof. is an acknowledgment of their academic accomplishment.  Calling someone a Reverend is an expression of acknowledgment of theological accomplishment.

It's a common title, as mentioned above, given upon completion of certain Christian degrees.

Our pastor, who is Baptist, who attended a Baptist seminary, holds the title of "Reverend" from the seminary. Even so, he typically uses the term "pastor".

Different pastors use different terms for various reasons. Most IFBs I know don't use the term "Reverend", even if they hold that title from a degree, except sometimes in an official capacity where such is helpful or needful.

Yes, we have quite a few so-called "reverends" over here. The Bible word "reverend: is found only one time (Psalm 111:9) and it refers to God. So, if I were a preacher or pastor, just "brother" would be fine,

..holy and reverend is his name. Psalm 111:9

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul...... Acts 9:17

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

"Reverend" in Ps 111:9 is not used as a given or proper name.  It's used as an adjective.  It's a word like any other and can be used in many different contexts.  The same verse also teaches us that God's name is holy.  But God's name is not the only thing that's holy. 

And it is not Biblical to take that attribute which is applicable to God himself and apply it to His servants.

In fact humility is the proper place for a servant of the Lord.

To take the title "Reverend" for himself is to lift his heart up in pride.

• Members

No, it's not.  We won't be wrong to say that God is good.  Goodness itself.  That doesn't make words "good" and "goodness" off limits when talking about things other than God.  Saying that someone is a good person or that you strive to be good is not applying an attribute of God to people.  It's no different with the word "reverend".

Edited by RevBob

REV'EREND, adjective [Latin reverendus.] 1. Worthy of reverence; entitled to respect mingled with fear and affection; as reverend and gracious senators. http://webstersdictionary1828.com/ I know I'm not worthy of reverence... neither is anyone with a theology degree.

• Advanced Member

In the UK too it is a title associated with qualifications and it appears on forms and questionnaires as 'Rev'. Apparently the correct title is actually 'The Reverend' and if I remember there are peculiarities with using it in letters and stuff because it is an adjective. For example you can say "The Reverend John Smith" but it's considered grammatically incorrect to say "The Reverend Smith". Or something.

As a title associated with a person's qualifications, it's akin to 'Doctor' (learned) and 'Professor' etc, and also suffixes like 'Msc' (Master of XYZ). All of them are grand words that are designed to elevate and distinguish the bearer. But I don't think I've ever heard a baptist or methodist pastor use 'reverend' for their everyday title. Rather they use it when they need to declare their qualifications, for example on a public notice.

With the Church of England its different, because 'Reverend' is also a title associated with rank, along with stuff like 'Right Reverend', 'Venerable' etc, all the way up to the Queen herself. People will sometimes call the clergyman in charge of a church 'Reverend' instead of 'Vicar', though again I've been told it's grammatcially incorrect. None of that CofE stuff should be a surprise to anyone...

Here in Australia I don't know of one pastor who uses the term "Reverend", either for himself or for a visiting Pastor or evangelist, yet a few guys I know, when they have been to the US have been called "Reverend" when they have preached at IFB churches over there.

Personally, aside from not being a Biblical term, I find it a little offensive to the Lord, as He is the one due reverence, not His servants.

Any thoughts?

Is this common over there?

​Agreed, it is offensive. Reverend is a term synonomus with charlatan in the US. It is a worldly religious term invented by that old devil himself. Only religious hirlings apply that term to themselves, similar to priests and "fathers" of popery. Noone truly called of God.

I call noone good either. We seriously misuse that word if you apply it to any person.

Reverend is a common title in America, both through being given as a degree title and what some churches use as the official title of the pastor. While some fringe folks may seriously abuse the title, for the most part it's simply meant to convey a person who has attained a ministerial degree and/or is the pastor of a church and is used in the same manner as titles such as pastor, mr., doctor, etc.

All of the Methodist pastors I've known, and known of, were titled reverend. Many Baptist pastors also hold that title, either through degree or due to that particular Baptist church preferring that title for their pastor. It's not uncommon to hear a pastor referred to as "the right reverend (insert name)". When the man who is our associate pastor now completed his ministry degree and was officially ordained, I joked with him that he could just sign his name "RRR" since his first name begins with an "R" and so does "right reverend". Like our senior pastor, he uses the title of pastor, but most often is referred to by his first name, as is our senior pastor.

Our senior pastor's office door used to have a sign on it which read "Minister". He didn't care for that title either, preferring a sign which reads "Pastor".

• 2 weeks later...

It is ok to have respect and to honour an elder or a 'good' fellow christian, give honour where hounor is due, etc, but it is the wrong way round when someone has a title put on him which says 'respect me' 'revere me' I would be embarrassed to be given Reverend I can't get in the mind of anyone who wouldn't be embarrassed other than having an insensitive conscience on the topic. Sorry 'Rev'

Its in a similar vain to getting a secular degree for studying the Bible, it is common and worldly minded, but not everyone can see the problems with that.

I've never been to a IFB church here where the pastor is addressed in this manner and most that I know would not except being called Rev/ Reverend, most just call him pastor or by name never rev/ reverend ,

Some Reverends to come to mind though ' Rev. Jessie Jackson , Rev Al Sharpton, Rev. Billy Graham

one other I know of is pastor of a SB church whom uses the title Reverend of course his church just spent $160,000,00 on a new baseball field which has given him bragging rights that they are spending another $80,000.00 for lights,of course he beats his church members to death about tithing then wastes Gods money.

I remember seeing many ads years ago where you could by the status of Reverend even sent you a card saying you where a Reverend, I wonder if that's where some of the above got their Rev, status by mail order and also if someone has enough money a lot of schools will be glad to give them Reverend status as well.

God Bless

Edited by EKSmith

• Members

There are many true Christians that go by the title of Reverend.  The esteemed Reverend TI Cooper, Reverend Pastor JJ Hunter  (although he goes by Pastor Hunter Sr.) who founded The True Christian Church of Jesus (formerly the Antibaptist of Pensacola) to which I belong, the great Reverend Pastor Cal Smith, or the Reverend Jon Schultz, and many others.

Regarding Ps 111:9, there is no implication that God's name is the only thing to which word reverend (not capitalized, btw) can be applied, as I explained previously.

Reverend

adj.

1400-50; late Middle English < Latin reverendus worthy of being revered, gerund of reverērī to revere1

Friend, it's not capitalized in that verse because it's an adjective; not a title. It is basically saying "God's name is holy and worthy to be revered". Taking it as a "title" is contrary to the teaching of the Word of God. Observe........

Matthew 23, (The scribes and Pharisees loved).........greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

That also goes for preachers who like to put "Dr." in front of their names when most of them don't even have a PHD. The apostles themselves addressed each other on a first name basis or simply as "brother". Why do you need a title?

Edited by heartstrings
clarification