• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reverend?

• Members

It is ok to have respect and to honour an elder or a 'good' fellow christian, give honour where hounor is due, etc, but it is the wrong way round when someone has a title put on him which says 'respect me' 'revere me' I would be embarrassed to be given Reverend I can't get in the mind of anyone who wouldn't be embarrassed other than having an insensitive conscience on the topic. Sorry 'Rev'

Its in a similar vain to getting a secular degree for studying the Bible, it is common and worldly minded, but not everyone can see the problems with that.

• Members

Our local C of E church has a woman minister and she signs her leaflets:  Rev Rachel.

Psalm 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

• Members

I've never been to a IFB church here where the pastor is addressed in this manner and most that I know would not except being called Rev/ Reverend, most just call him pastor or by name never rev/ reverend ,

Some Reverends to come to mind though ' Rev. Jessie Jackson , Rev Al Sharpton, Rev. Billy Graham

one other I know of is pastor of a SB church whom uses the title Reverend of course his church just spent $160,000,00 on a new baseball field which has given him bragging rights that they are spending another $80,000.00 for lights,of course he beats his church members to death about tithing then wastes Gods money.

I remember seeing many ads years ago where you could by the status of Reverend even sent you a card saying you where a Reverend, I wonder if that's where some of the above got their Rev, status by mail order and also if someone has enough money a lot of schools will be glad to give them Reverend status as well.

God Bless

Edited by EKSmith

• Members

There are many true Christians that go by the title of Reverend.  The esteemed Reverend TI Cooper, Reverend Pastor JJ Hunter  (although he goes by Pastor Hunter Sr.) who founded The True Christian Church of Jesus (formerly the Antibaptist of Pensacola) to which I belong, the great Reverend Pastor Cal Smith, or the Reverend Jon Schultz, and many others.

Regarding Ps 111:9, there is no implication that God's name is the only thing to which word reverend (not capitalized, btw) can be applied, as I explained previously.

• Members

Reverend

adj.

1400-50; late Middle English < Latin reverendus worthy of being revered, gerund of reverērī to revere1

Friend, it's not capitalized in that verse because it's an adjective; not a title. It is basically saying "God's name is holy and worthy to be revered". Taking it as a "title" is contrary to the teaching of the Word of God. Observe........

Matthew 23, (The scribes and Pharisees loved).........greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.

That also goes for preachers who like to put "Dr." in front of their names when most of them don't even have a PHD. The apostles themselves addressed each other on a first name basis or simply as "brother". Why do you need a title?

Edited by heartstrings
clarification

• Members

There are many true Christians that go by the title of Reverend.  The esteemed Reverend TI Cooper, Reverend Pastor JJ Hunter  (although he goes by Pastor Hunter Sr.) who founded The True Christian Church of Jesus (formerly the Antibaptist of Pensacola) to which I belong, the great Reverend Pastor Cal Smith, or the Reverend Jon Schultz, and many others.

Regarding Ps 111:9, there is no implication that God's name is the only thing to which word reverend (not capitalized, btw) can be applied, as I explained previously.

​That is the bottom of your problems Bob. You revere men and have been indoctrinated into their interpretations of Scripture.

Get away from these dudes and into the Book and you will see far more clearly. You use terms like esteemed and great in describing dudes who wrote books I suppose making merchandise of God and those became your bible, setting aside God's Word to learn the words of muttenheads (perhaps you specifically didn't but generally speaking that is usually what happens when dudes put dudes above other dudes) they seek their interpretations instead of the Spirit.

Reverend is a worldly term used primarily by the lost to identify religious hirelings. It is not a term God gave for his preachers and teachers. I have no interest in what any reverend says about any subject and neither should anyone (lost or saved)

• Moderators

​Hijacking here for a sec... hey, RevBob, does your church have a website? I've never of heard of one with that name before and it got me curious. :wink

• Moderators

​Hijacking here for a sec... hey, RevBob, does your church have a website? I've never of heard of one with that name before and it got me curious. :wink

​Agreed with the website question, I spent 4 years in the Escambia, Santa Rosa county areas of Fl at one point, 18 more years at another. I know of Jerry Hunter; Lyle Hunter, Sr; Lyle Hunter, Jr; Pensacola Mennonite Church.

I've known some of unusual names such as Saint John the Baptist Church, First Corinthians Baptist, Church of the Open Door but never heard of "Antibaptist of Pensacola" nor an Anabaptist church that was "Doctrines of Grace" as  you claim (if I recall correctly) to be.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Moderators

When I pastored my first church, (lasted a year, if that's any indication of where this is going), and I gotta say, I REALLY liked using the title of Reverend; 'Rev. Reed', that was me! And everyone knew it. I even got a tab at the local little restaurant. It didn't take too long for the Lord to show me the pride in my heart. I failed miserably in that area and turned the new little work over to another pastor. (he ended up closing it down).

Today I don't even encourage people to call me 'Pastor" or "Pastor Mike or Reed" because Pastor is not, biblically-speaking, a title, it is descriptive of what we do-it means 'shepherd', so, just as I raise goats, but am not generally called "Goatherd Mike", so it makes no sense to say "Pastor Mike" either. The same with Apostle or Bishop or Evangelist or Elder or Deacon-all are descriptive terms, not titles. Unless one is an Apostle of the Lamb, of which there are only 12, so that can be a title for them. It always irritates me faintly when I see flyers for meetings with special guest speaker Prophet Larry Jones or Evangelist Curly Howard or Apostle Stymie Goatudder.

For me, brother Mike, or just Mike, are fine.

• Moderators

I use Brother, Some call me Pastor in the same way that on job sites I get called Electrician or a student may call me Mr. Bus Driver (since I do that part time, too). Someone may address a person as Teacher but not Pastor (insert name), Electrician (insert name), Teacher (insert name) etc.

If I'm not your pastor, why call me Pastor (some in this town do)? If I call a church member on the phone, I'll say "Hey, this is Preacher" because it's shorter than Bro. (my name) (I know, they have caller ID but remember my location is "under a rock").

I don't call ANY preacher by Reverend, Doctor or Father. The librarian at the public High School here obtained her Doctorate (good job, congrats) but insists on being called "Doctor ______", she won't get it from this little grey duck!

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

​Agreed with the website question, I spent 4 years in the Escambia, Santa Rosa county areas of Fl at one point, 18 more years at another. I know of Jerry Hunter; Lyle Hunter, Sr; Lyle Hunter, Jr; Pensacola Mennonite Church.

I've known some of unusual names such as Saint John the Baptist Church, First Corinthians Baptist, Church of the Open Door but never heard of "Antibaptist of Pensacola" nor an Anabaptist church that was "Doctrines of Grace" as  you claim (if I recall correctly) to be.

​We don't have a web site.  We used to, but we preach to all manner of most unsavory characters, and we decided to discontinue web sites for safety reasons.

And we are not Anabaptist, nor are we any longer Antibaptist--haven't been for a long time.  Our fellowship of churches was started by Reverend Pastor JJ Hunter (Sr.) in early 70's as Antibaptist Church of Pensacola.  He realized that most Baptists became corrupt and no longer followed the Christian Bible, but man-made traditions and "interpretations".  After his protests fell on deaf ears, he decided to have a baptist reformation of sorts, withdrew from SBC, and renamed the church to Antibaptist to show his disagreement.

The particular points of disagreement were over the pervasive racism amongst mainstream baptists at the time (unBiblical), liberal attitudes towards abortion and abortionism (we are against abortion because we believe that unborn babies go to Hell, and we won't stand for that), allowing women to speak in church, and liberal attitudes towards premartial relations and secular "dating", and several other issues.  Pastor Hunter distinguished himself for preaching to both the KKK and the Bob Jones crowd, and leading many from amongst these to Salvation.  However, in 1975, Pastor Hunter realized that not all Baptists are liberal or unChristian, and decided to rename the church to True Christian Church of Jesus to designate our dedication to true Biblical Christianity and Jesus.  At the same time the church was relocated to Kansas because of some land disputes with Bob Jones and his gang of liberals. 

Now there are seven churches in our fellowship, in several different states, plus one affiliated church in Iowa.  We don't do web sites.  We don't do bus ministries.  We don't allow satanists in our churches.  We do minister to all kinds of heathens from runaways in California and harlots in Nevada to Mooslims in Michigan and Tennessee to KKK and Nation of Islam in Indiana.  We preach the true Gospel, and not some politically correct version of thereof.  We tell people that they go to hell and that Jesus hates them, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We also fellowship and support each other, and actively teach the Bible and enforce Biblical ways within our churches and homes.

In a nutshell, that's the church I belong to and what we're about.

Edited by RevBob

• Members

​We don't have a web site.  We used to, but we preach to all manner of most unsavory characters, and we decided to discontinue web sites for safety reasons.

And we are not Anabaptist, nor are we any longer Antibaptist--haven't been for a long time.  Our fellowship of churches was started by Reverend Pastor JJ Hunter (Sr.) in early 70's as Antibaptist Church of Pensacola.  He realized that most Baptists became corrupt and no longer followed the Christian Bible, but man-made traditions and "interpretations".  After his protests fell on deaf ears, he decided to have a baptist reformation of sorts, withdrew from SBC, and renamed the church to Antibaptist to show his disagreement.

The particular points of disagreement were over the pervasive racism amongst mainstream baptists at the time (unBiblical), liberal attitudes towards abortion and abortionism (we are against abortion because we believe that unborn babies go to Hell, and we won't stand for that), allowing women to speak in church, and liberal attitudes towards premartial relations and secular "dating", and several other issues.  Pastor Hunter distinguished himself for preaching to both the KKK and the Bob Jones crowd, and leading many from amongst these to Salvation.  However, in 1975, Pastor Hunter realized that not all Baptists are liberal or unChristian, and decided to rename the church to True Christian Church of Jesus to designate our dedication to true Biblical Christianity and Jesus.  At the same time the church was relocated to Kansas because of some land disputes with Bob Jones and his gang of liberals. 

Now there are seven churches in our fellowship, in several different states, plus one affiliated church in Iowa.  We don't do web sites.  We don't do bus ministries.  We don't allow satanists in our churches.  We do minister to all kinds of heathens from runaways in California and harlots in Nevada to Mooslims in Michigan and Tennessee to KKK and Nation of Islam in Indiana.  We preach the true Gospel, and not some politically correct version of thereof.  We tell people that they go to hell and that Jesus hates them, but it doesn't have to be that way.  We also fellowship and support each other, and actively teach the Bible and enforce Biblical ways within our churches and homes.

In a nutshell, that's the church I belong to and what we're about.

​Sounds kinda like a mormon compound and I am guessing most your membership were lured away from real Churches with the promise of NOT having to witness and win souls. "What a relief, sure we'll join up" cause they follow calvin, not Jesus.

• Members

​Sounds kinda like a mormon compound and I am guessing most your membership were lured away from real Churches with the promise of NOT having to witness and win souls. "What a relief, sure we'll join up" cause they follow calvin, not Jesus.

​Sounds like you need to develop reading comprehension skills.  As I wrote earlier:

We do minister to all kinds of heathens from runaways in California and harlots in Nevada to Mooslims in Michigan and Tennessee to KKK and Nation of Islam in Indiana.  We preach the true Gospel, and not some politically correct version of thereof. 

• Members

What is obvious is that whilst you obviously have a great deal of respect for yourself, you care nothing for the people you are trying to reach.

That is obvious by your degrading terminology you use to refer to them.

But since your god knows nothing about genuine love, that is hardly surprising.

Call yourself "Reverend" while calling them things like "harlots" and "mooslims" - I am sure they listen to you too.

Funny, I thought our Lord humbled Himself.........