• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I have made my decision

• Members

I was given the opportunity to put Nathaniel into the Christian school that I attended. We have been home-schooling him, and he would be going into 3rd grade at home, but we put him into 2nd grade at school to keep him with his age group. The work he brings home is stuff that he has already learned and is more advanced than this work. His teacher stopped my wife last week and let her know that the teacher will not be sending the reading homework home with him. The first time he read in class, she knew he was at a higher reading level than the other kids. Nathaniel just needs to read for 15 minutes at home out loud from a book that we feel is more his level.

I am wrong for sending him to school where he is re-learning things he already knows?

• Members

This is really a question only you and your wife can answer with the help of God in prayer.

As for me, I had my children in a Catholic School 7 years ago and we pulled them for religious difference becoming too difficult to overcome. We have homeschooled for the last seven and at first it was difficult. We flipped and flopped on curriculum. Our own lack of knowledge in areas presented problems, but never have we considered going back to any private or public school, Christian or not. It is not for US. God has abundantly blessed our decision despite our shortcomings. Has He blessed yours? Only you can answer this.

My chioce is to keep them home. The socialization skills they get from a school environment can be just as negative as positive, even in a Christian school. My oldest just finished homeschool last year and joined the US NAVY. In Boot camp he was the youngest of 582 graduates and finished 2nd overall. He scored a 91 on the entrance exam (ASVAB) which is only accomplished by 1 in 20. He is now attending Information Systems Technician school and is #1 in his class with a 92.8 average. Best of all he still calls home 2-3 times a week to talk and ask advice. He reads his Bible every day and remains well focused. He is doing better than all his school socialized peers.

Just my :2cents . You need to do what is best for you, your family, your son, and most importantly, for God.

I'll pray for you.

• Members

No, I'll explain. Both of my brothers were very good academically. The older one was allowed to start school a year early at our churches christian school. He always did quite well academically and socially, fact is, he graduated as valdictorian of his class. My other brother was about 8 years younger and at this time mom homeschooled or allowed us to attend school as was our wish after kindergarten. Wanting to go to school for 2nd grade, mom enrolled and got the testing done. He tested 3rd grade so was offered the oportunity to skip to 3rd. My parents decided against it b/c of the older ones comments. Physically, they just don't adjust well. My brother pleaded with my parents not to do that to his brother too.

• Administrators

A bored student can be much worse than someone who is not with his age group. Boredom in class can lead to either losing interest in school (especially in boys!) and/or becoming the class clown or troublemaker. If you keep him in 2nd, maybe you could work with the teacher to get him some extra work when he's all done with his. And I'd encourage the teacher to have him read - not having him read because he is so much better will really discourage his desire to read, imo.

If you put him in 3rd grade, as a younger one in the class, you could run the risk of him becoming a follower who might follow the wrong kids...but if you were aware of that possibility, you could work with it.

There are pros and cons to both. What does he say? Would he like to go on or stay put? If you put him in 3rd grade and he didn't want to go, he could react by becoming a poor student (not even conscious rebellion - it's just something some kids can do).

• Members

I would see how he would do in 3rd grade. The only thing is how it goes socially. If there are no glaring social problems, then he should be in a grade that challenges him mentally, or really you are wasting your education dollars.

My own personal opinion is that it is mean to hold a child back. My sisters were frustrated academically because they were held back by the public school system, and it just causes kids to get into trouble because they are bored.

• Members
This is really a question only you and your wife can answer with the help of God in prayer.

True. None of us know your son. That said, I'll throw a couple of things out. First, my personal experience as a child. Because I could read fluently at age 4, the Christian elementary school allowed my parents to enroll me in K5 at that age. I was always at the head of the class, but I hated and feared school. I was a whole year younger than many of my classmates, and I was naturally socially behind the rest of the class. I rarely spoke, because I didn't want to get made fun of. I was not a confident child, which made things worse. The only thing that made school bearable for me was that the teachers really liked me, because I was interested in academics and good behavior. (Things got better in the junior high years. High school was great.) There was one other "younger" child in my class. She did really well, because her personality was totally different, and she was a lot more mature socially than I was.

So...all that to say...if your son is a fairly confident kid, you might consider that a "pro" for the "moving him up" side. Also, academic boredom is a definite "pro" for moving him up.

Just curious--If you don't mind my asking, what kinds of books is your son reading (or able to read) at this time? What math concepts has he mastered? What curriculum is his school using? What curriculum have you used with him? What have his achievement test scores indicated? I have a number of years of experience as an educator, and would be glad to offer an informed opinion if you like. (If not, that's fine. I'm certainly not an "expert," and I'm not trying to be nosy, either.)

• Members

Ya know, school is always much,much easier in the beginning of the year as review takes place. About October, new things begin to be learned. I second that holding kids back is mean, and makes for rebellious, board kids. I failed to state, that I wished my parent had pushed my brother ahead. It would have put him with a better group of kids and maybe wouldn't be living the life that he is today. I have an 8yr old that is in 4th grade because I started her early and she is handling it just fine. I also plan on starting my now 4year old in the next month or so. I'm all for pushing them to there potential, I have one that to this day struggles with reading, but excells in math. I'm not stopping her math progress just because her reading is slower. I commented before about how it appears from social perspective with boys. For my girls, since we are homeschooling, the social aspect only shows itself in church. I'll have to ask my brothers what there take on this is now in hindsight. Seek God's will and you will know what to do.

• Members

I have not forgotten you all, I have just been very busy. I want to thank you for your opinions and comments. I don't have the time to answer all the questions and do a full reply, but just wanted to let you know that I am still here, and will reply later.

Hi dadof4. :smile I just wanted to say that a "homeschooled" child is generally ahead academically of a child who attends a Christian or Public school. When I taught 5th grade in the Public school system...I had to test a child who was homeschooled. He had to take the state mandated tests in my classroom. He aced all the subjects (except writing b/c he read the prompt wrong :ooops ). The writing test was the first day, and he said he was very nervous. :-S Anyway, he scored well above the other kids.

Anyway, my thoughts are...other than Montessori School (Maria Montessori was an Italian Physician) I truly believe that a homeschool education is the best. If I could have homeschooled our son after Montessori School (and he wanted me too several times) I would have. I know many parents (Christian and non-Christian) who homeschool and have their children in activities (play groups) that foster their social skills. This is just my opinion. Only God, you, and your wife know what is best for your son. God bless you and I will keep this matter in prayer.

BTW, my son has many good friends at public school. He has been in PS since 3rd grade...but, he has picked up some negative habits that otherwise he would not have. I really believe that. While at Montessori School it wasn't that way. And, I know that homeschooling would have been awesome for him. He was just offered an academic scholarship to a small college (his dad doesn't want him to go there) so his grades have always been good, but I really wish he had Christian friends. :sad

• Members

From what I've seen of Montessori schools they seem to be an unstructured school for kids who have problems in regular schools. For that reason I don't like them, but I do know many parents who do.

Also homeschooled kids are advanced IF their parents work with them...(like the parents on this discussion board). I have personally known parents who homeschool their children because they are lazy and do not want to dress their kids in the morning or have a structure...and that is very sad.

I guess no point in my comments...just talking. haha.

From what I've seen of Montessori schools they seem to be an unstructured school for kids who have problems in regular schools. For that reason I don't like them, but I do know many parents who do.

Also homeschooled kids are advanced IF their parents work with them...(like the parents on this discussion board). I have personally known parents who homeschool their children because they are lazy and do not want to dress their kids in the morning or have a structure...and that is very sad.

I guess no point in my comments...just talking. haha.

My situation was kinda complicated. LOL. My ex-hubby's ex-wife (do you have that...hehe) was a teacher at the Montessori School. In fact, she went there as a child herself. She is also a psychologist. Well, my step-daughter started when she was 3...(pre-primary) b/c she had a September birthday...her mom worked there in the building. Anyhoo, our son went there b/c of his sister. He was a Legacy. It is difficult to get in. The school seems unstructured, but is rather strict. It is really hard to explain, unless you go there. Parental involvement is key, too (in some sense...even for working parents). The kids have jobs (stations) that they do at their own pace. Then they assemble for group (small and large). I loved that Mark could work at this own pace (and, he was supervised). The testing is the Stanford Achievement Tests...the best in the world. Mark and Sarah (his sister) have never had any problems with behaviour (except at home :lol ). Well, when Mark went to Public school...and this school system is at the top in the state of Ohio...he was way above the rest of his class (and, still is). He says the work in public school is easy, and so are the tests. Mark was at Montessori School from pre-primary (age 4) through 2nd grade. We did that b/c of the whole "children are sponges" theory. Basically, those were his formative years. I was working, as a teacher, and I knew he was safe...and, the education was superb. Although, if I was saved earlier in life...I would have homeschooled Mark. My friends that do homeschool, love it...and, the social groups that they belong to are like family.

• Members

The only thing I would say in talking to home schoolers and christian schoolers is that besides being academically behind some Christian Schools are actually not teaching Biblical truth, so I would really question what teachers believe and what is being taught throughout the school before I send any children there. Just my :2cents . :smile