• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anticipation...

• Members

Anticipation

This morning I sat and wept as I shared with my husband some things that the Lord had brought to my mind. Mention was briefly made in an article I'd been reading, about the Gospel story of Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus. Even before I finished reading it, I knew the stirring of the Spirit giving rise to many new thoughts.

Mary sat at the level of Jesus' feet and looked intently into His blessed face anticipating His every word. Zacchaeus of such short stature sought to see Jesus, and so ran to climb a sycamore tree to try to at least catch a glimpse of Him through the throngs of people. Imagine the mind of the woman with the infirmity as she pushed through the multitudes to touch Jesus' robe. Think of Peter and John as they ran to the empty sepulcher wondering with great amazement what was to come. Then go back to how Mary, His mom, looked adoringly at Him as He lay in swaddling clothes in the manger.

What stirred my very soul was the question, "Do I have that same intent, anticipatory, hopeful, trusting, and desiring gaze that these special ones had for the Saviour?" My first thoughts upon awakening in the morning should be of Him, and I should eagerly run to meet Him in the Word. I should not have any struggle to commune with Him incessantly. He should be the breath that I breathe; He should be the life within my flesh. Do I love Him with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength? And then...because of my love for Him, do I in turn love others with the love that He has over and abundantly showered and immersed me with?

Am I afraid someone might see me gazing adoringly at my Saviour? Am I a coward when it comes to sharing the blessed Gospel? Am I afraid of personal rejection, and so I make pious sounding excuses to hide my silence? We do need to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves" but if we're desiring to love Him with our all then glorifying our God in heart, in word, and in deed won't be able but to come forth! Have we been so influenced to believe that we must concentrate more on building a rapport with people first in order to share the Good News? This should decidedly not be so! Oh yes, our behaviour can certainly influence others to either turn to or away from the Saviour, but the very Word itself does not return void. Shouldn't we then concentrate on THE WORD more than on our own words? We should be ever trusting Him and seeking His will, and available for the Word to speak in and through us. If we are reciprocating the Lord's amazing love continuously, then our very lives should be growing brighter like a beacon and a shining light that leads the way to the Saviour. Our behaviour should obviously be being progressively "sanctified" making our "rapport" with others not be an issue, but instead a "given".

These thoughts made me weep indeed, for even though I've experienced adoration for my Saviour muchly, I'm afraid that the things of this world distract me way too often. Who are we to criticize Peter for denying Jesus those three times? How many countless times have WE denied Him? Yes, the tears flowed freely this morning, and they flowed even more freely as I thought of how much He loves me by showing me my shortcomings in such a gentle way.

My thoughts then shifted from Mary sitting at Jesus' feet, to Martha who was so busy serving. We do indeed need to be busy serving the Master, yet we need to consider all of the Godly attributes that are pleasing to the Lord and balance them in our lives.

Perhaps it could be thought of like - it has just been announced to you that a very famous and regal person is going to visit your home and dine with you. Your heart starts to beat more and more swiftly with excitement as you look forward to this distinguished guest's arrival. You must prepare, and so you start considering the appearance of your house; each and every corner, nook, and cranny. You dust, polish, scrub, and clean everything. Working with great cheer, you desire to make your home not only presentable, but pleasing to that royal one. Then of course you pull out your recipe books, and plan the "gourmet" dinner that you want to serve with all of the choicest dishes that are the coming guest's favorites. After that, you go through your closets to find just the right outfit to wear for the occasion. You make sure that the outfit is washed spotless, and there are no tears or stains or missing buttons. You then get your best tablecloth out, a beautiful center piece, and formal dishes and go about setting the table...for the hour is nigh for the arrival of this special one. All of these preparations have been done with great zeal and cheer, for it is a great honor that this guest has chosen your house in which to dine. As you await the imminent arrival with unconcealed and excited anticipation, you flit around the whole house here and there making sure that everything is just so. And then, at last...

We cannot work for salvation, but once we've accepted the free gift of it we can show our faith by our works. We can open up our hearts trusting Him, and be filled with His merciful and gracious love; so full that it manifests itself outwardly. With gratefulness for the "wedding garment" of righteousness that He has given to us through salvation, we can do our best to keep it unspotted from this world! Do we truly hunger and thirst after righteousness? Do we revere every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God? Do we quench our thirst with the purity and sweetness of the "Living Water"? Are we nourished and strengthened by the savory "Bread of Life"? It's so wonderful that we can enjoy abundant life with great delight as we surrender to Him until that day that we shall ever be with Him. Zealous anticipation and a longing to to be filled with adoration, appreciation, praise, and obedience to Him opens the doors wide to His workmanship in and through us. Are we truly vessels meet for Him to transform and use? I must go back to my first question. Do I adoringly and longingly gaze at my Saviour, and hang onto His every word with the desire to hear His instruction, guidance, and loving will and way?

I have since wiped away the tears that were upon my face, but my heart still feels His gentle nudge. O how I want my Saviour to be the dearest and most precious One in my life, and the One that I give my affection and love to that exceeds all others.                               - WWMS (several yrs ago)

• 3 weeks later...