• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to defend against a sheep

• 2 months later...
  • Members

A stick...

When I had my mean rams, "Rocket" and "Hornsby", a big stick was what they respected most.

yep brother that works never had goats but have few hard head horses whom like kick and stomp ya,but that big stick can really help in changing their mind, I had a mare so mean she would kick and rare up on you when she saw you with a bucket of feed and when I tried to brush her she would kick you try to stomp ya, learned to tie her head up with rope and it worked very well but she kept her eye on that stick also.

God bless brother

• Moderators

I had a ram who was quite sweet to us, and loved being scratched and petted, but he would go toe to toe with our alpha goat buck. Now the buck, he was the ornery one, and I found what worked best with him was a switch. A heavy stick didn't work because heavy hitting was what they were used to, but a switch stung, and after a dozen good, fast whips with that, he'd retreat to the corner of the pen until I left. No blood, no damage, he just had no defense against it.

• Members

Now, now.  (Warning - dripping sarcasm.)  You all know that you cannot correct with "violence."  That will just hurt the psyche of the one whom you are correcting.  You all must learn gently to talk unto those "difficult" ones in order to help them to understand the "better way."  Correction is so very "violent," and "violence" is never the right way.

• Members

To stop an aggressive ram with a stick (rod), you hit him on the nose. You don't have to hit him hard because, unlike the top of his head,  the nose is very sensitive and it doesn't take a big stick to stop him. Most times the stick doesn't even need to make contact because the ram already knows he doesn't want to be struck there. That is not cruel either if used with due restraint.. Because any shepherd, with any sense , knows that it would be detrimental to his own financial situation to physically harm his own valuable ram. If you have the stick in hand and the ram can see your eyes, most times this is enough. They will watch your eyes and if they can still see even the side of one eyeball, they will hold back. But turn away for a second and an aggressive ram will begin to charge.

From these experiences I believe the rod, of Biblical description, was used to goad the sheep and to do as I described above. The staff, on the other hand, I believe was used to lean on and to steady the shepherd as he traversed rocky, uneven, hilly landscape. I have also noticed that several of my very tame sheep get right under my feet as I walk with them. Two sheep especially, "Sissy and Missy", walk right in front of me, constantly passing in front of my legs, and I have to push them aside with my knees to keep from falling over them. But when I'm carrying my staff, I can gently goad them aside so I can walk normally.  What I have been able to ascertain from this is that, to normal earthly shepherds, a "rod and staff" were direct benefits to the shepherd; not the sheep..

I think that the "shepherd/sheep" relationship of Psalm 23, being spiritual, may be an opposite of a natural one. For instance; it's not a good idea to let physical sheep "lie down in a green pasture" because, where sheep lie down, they foul it up with large concentrations of excrement, the excrement hatches the eggs of parasites, the parasites climb up in the grass, the sheep eat the grass and propagate the parasites' life cycle which makes the sheep sick, weak, and can kill them. the best place to let them lie down is a bare spot were valuable grass would not be compromised. I'm also not convinced that physical "sheep" require "still waters" to drink. Then there is another scripture which says "the good shepherd giveth His life for the sheep". But this past Saturday when I sold three of my lambs to some Muslim customers, they took the three lambs, butchered them, and paid me $320. Those lambs gave their lives for the shepherd, as the vast majority of earthly sheep inevitably do.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Now, now.  (Warning - dripping sarcasm.)  You all know that you cannot correct with "violence."  That will just hurt the psyche of the one whom you are correcting.  You all must learn gently to talk unto those "difficult" ones in order to help them to understand the "better way."  Correction is so very "violent," and "violence" is never the right way.

And, you could always try confusing the sheep with your knowledge of English grammar .... :D