• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Comment On Current Debate

• Members

​Bro Scott

Thanks for your comment. The fact that the text includes the word "the"  means, according to the usual rules of grammar that the covenant already exists.  

David S.

​Brother David S.,

First, do you yourself believe that I deliberately misquoted you in my posting, or that I deliberately misunderstood your straightforward grammatical presentation?

Second, I would have to contend that the use of the definite article "the" by definition only means that "the covenant" is a definite covenant.  On the other hand, I would further contend that the use of the verb "shall confirm" indicates that "the covenant" shall indeed be a pre-existent covenant.  Furthermore, I myself would agree that Daniel would very likely have understood the specific "covenant" to which the angel Gabriel was referring in his comment.

• Members

As I understand it, which covenant it is depends on who confirmed the covenant.  I contend that it is Messiah, the Prince who confirmed the covenant, and not the Prince who was to come.  The prince did come and his people did destroy the city and sactuary.  No need to look to any future prince as the Brethren do.

• Members

As I understand it, which covenant it is depends on who confirmed the covenant.  I contend that it is Messiah, the Prince who confirmed the covenant, and not the Prince who was to come.  The prince did come and his people did destroy the city and sactuary.  No need to look to any future prince as the Brethren do

Brother David S.,

As such, we would be in disagreement with one another on the above points.  However, I will not present my reasoning on the matter here, since my position concerning Daniel 9:26-27 is yet to be forthcoming in the discussion-debate with Brother Day.

On the other hand, I did ask a question of you in my previous posting herein, as follows: 

First, do you yourself believe that I deliberately misquoted you in my posting, or that I deliberately misunderstood your straightforward grammatical presentation?

Would you provide your answer to this question?

• Members

Brother David S.,

As such, we would be in disagreement with one another on the above points.  However, I will not present my reasoning on the matter here, since my position concerning Daniel 9:26-27 is yet to be forthcoming in the discussion-debate with Brother Day.

On the other hand, I did ask a question of you in my previous posting herein, as follows: 

Would you provide your answer to this question?

​Sorry Bro Scott.

I didn't answer yesterday because I was unable to post to any thread or to send messages.  

No I don't believe you did misquote me.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

​Pastor Scott while in the flesh thy people are in a state of everlasting righteousness? Before Jesus is anointed King, you hold God will bring in everlasting righteousness upon thy people? While thy people are under the beasts' rule? Also do you see these thy people as being born again before Jesus returns? And thy people will have children born of the flesh in a state of everlasting righteousness? 

Sorry Ian, I was saving my questions and posted too soon. 

​You will have seen from my last full contribution to the debate that Scripture teaches that all believers enjoy the status of everlasting righteousness - the righteousness of faith. See e.g. Romans 4. Whichever human ruler, beast, Pope, Islamist, President, etc, is of no consequence - The LORD is King. e.g. Psalm 97. Just read the Psalms & it is abundantly clear:

1 The LORD reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad thereof. 
2 Clouds and darkness are round about him: righteousness and judgment are the habitation of his throne.
12 Rejoice in the LORD, ye righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.

I hope that the implied dispensational teaching doesn't conflict with the clear teaching of Scripture. I am trying to avoid that conflict as it would sidetrack the debate. 

I believe we can extend the concept of regeneration back in time, so that all the redeemed are children of God - born again by the Holy Spirit. Exo. 13:15  Deu. 14:1-2  Eze. 16:21  In many places throughout Scripture God refers to "my people." That is a concept we will come to when we discuss the covenant. 

• Members

I really appreciate the curent debate on Daniel 9:24-27 as it has helped my understanding of the importance of Daniel's prophecy and the interpretation of it. The current installment by Pastor Markle sheds further light on the correct interpretation of Daniel 9:24 concerning the "my people" phrase and the correlation with Genesis 12:1-3, Isaiah 49:8, Jeremiah 31:35-37 and Hosea 1:9-11

Pastor Markles exposition of Genesis 12:1-3, "The Five Different Blessings Statements," as he calls it, is excellent. Every pastor on OnLine Baptist could use it for a fine sermon on the blessings of God through the nation of Israel.

Pastor Markle also brings out a complete biblical analysis of Hosea 1:9-11. Most folks will quote Hosea 1:9 out of context to try and prove that due to the disobedience of the nation of Israel God does not call the nation of Israel His people any more in order to use as a pretext that the promises of God are given to the church. Pastor Markle correctly brings out God's further prophesies concerning the nation of Israel in spite of the disobedience by expounding Hosea 1:9-11. In Hosea 1:10-11 we clearly see the prophecy by Hosea of the future restoration of the nation of Israel. 

Brethren,

I really suggest that you read, very closely, todays debate on Daniel 9:24 by Pastor Markle. 

• Members

In Hosea 1:10-11 we clearly see the prophecy by Hosea of the future restoration of the nation of Israel. 

​Uh, Romans 9:22-26?  The only future 'restoration' has already occurred. It was future from Hosea's time of preaching, but the past and present from our point in time.

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Genevanpreacher,

You made two doctrinal errors in your comment.

1. Paul did not say in Romans 9:24 and 25 that the prophecy only applied to the Gentiles, Paul plainly wrote,"... not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles." The Gentiles are grafted into the nation of Israel; Romans 11:15-23 Paul never said, nor even implied, that the Gentiles replaced the nation of Israel. You miss-interpreted Paul's statement. Paul plainly stated that, "... but also of the Gentiles?" Romans 9:24 The Gentiles are included, spiritually, into the nation of Israel. The Gentiles did not take over, replace, or any other form or fashion, either spiritually or physically, take the promises given to the nation of israel. The church is included, by grace, into the promises given to Israel.

2. You made another incorrect doctrinal statement, without any scriptural authority, when you said," The only future 'restoration' has already occurred. It was future from Hosea's time of preaching, but the past and present from our point in time." That statement is a falsehood and an unbelief in the prophecies of Hosea, specificly, Hosea 1:10 and 11. It is a historical falsehood as the restoration as promised by God in Hosea 1:10 and 11 never occured either physically or spiritually up to today in history.

God plainly stated in Hosea 1:10 "Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not people, there it shall be said, unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." This promise of God to the physical sons of Israel has never been fulfulled after Hosea's time in any manner of speaking.

God plainly stated in Hosea 1:11, "Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel." This has never been fulfilled; either physically, spiritually, or any other maner or fashion. This prophecy is future. The belief that this was past history is an unbelief in the direct promise of God given by God to the nation of Israel.

The restoration of the nation of Israel is still future. This promise in Hosea 1:10 and 11 cannot be disannulled by man; "Brethren, I speak after the manner of men;Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth unto." Galatians 3:15

Please refresh your memory of the coventants and promises of God by the following:

The Old Testament, Unconditional, Covenants Fulfilled

1. Abraham. Genesis 12:1-3; 13:14-18; chapter 15: 17:1-14. The resurrected Abraham, and his saved, descendants, will at this time inherit the land that God promised Abraham, “... and to thy seed for ever.” Genesis 15:18, “In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.”

2. David. “And I will ordain a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, and they shall dwell in their place, and shall be move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness waste them any more, as at the beginning.” 1 Chronicles 17:9 Please note that David is asleep and that there are no conditions of this Covenant. It will be fulfilled by God whether or not the children of Israel follow the Law or not. It is an un-conditional covenant: 1 Chronicles 17: 3-15

Ezekiel 34:20-31; verse 23, “And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. And I the LORD will be their God [this is a direct reference to the Lord Jesus Christ as God], and my servant David a prince among them; I the LORD have spoken it.” 2 Samuel 7:4-17 and Psalm 89:3 and 4

3. The Covenant of Ezekiel 37. This chapter gives the vision of the, ‘Dry Bones,’ (a picture of the future restoration of the nation of Israel in the Millennium), God gave this Covenant. Ezekiel 37:24-26, “And David my servant shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children’s children for ever: and my servant David shall be prince their prince for ever.”

4. Confirmed to the Nation of Israel. Deuteronomy 4:31

Prophetic Promises to be Fulfilled to the Elect Sons of Jacob in the Millennium“Romans 11:5, “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.” The nation of Israel is God’s elect. The church did not replace the Elect sons of Jacob nor do the promises to the Church in the New Testament negate the promises to Israel.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us there will be no end to the Kingdom. The Kingdom will continue throughout eternity.

Isaiah chapter 11 the animal kingdom will be changed among other physical blessings.

Isaiah 24:23 After the horrific happenings listed in Isiah 24:1-22 the, “... LORD of hosts shall reign in Mt Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously.”

Isaiah chapter 35 tells us of the great physical blessings in the Millennium.

Isaiah 30:18-26 blessings upon blessings!

Isaiah chapter 60 tells us that the Lord will not only restore the nation of Israel but He will glorify the nation of Israel. Isaiah 60:12, “For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yes, those nations shall be utterly wasted.” May I at this juncture remind the Saved Gentiles that the church did not, ‘replace,’ Israel, but the Saved Gentiles are, ‘grafted,’ into the nation of Israel. Romans 11

Isaiah 65:17-25 tells us of the increase of longevity and, ‘... the wolf and the lamb shall feed together...’ see also Zechariah 8:1-8

Ezekiel chapter 47 tells us further great physical changes and blessings.

Hosea 1:10 & 11 The nation of Israel will be as the sand of the sea.

Hosea 3:5 David will be King over Israel.

Micah 4:1-7 tells us all nations will come to the Millennial Temple.

Zechariah chapter 3 the LORD will take away the filthy garments of the Joshua the High priest in order to serve, ‘... my servant the BRANCH.’ The, BRANCH,’ is the Lord Jesus as KING.

Zechariah 8:21-23 tells us of the restoration of the Jew to international prominence.

Zechariah 9:10 tells us how far the dominion will cover.

Zechariah 12:9-14 tell how the Jews will mourn for the previous unbelief.

Zechariah chapter 14:4-11 and 16-21 tells us of changes of the land and the nations.

Also, Joel 3:18; 2:24-26, Amos 9:13, Isaiah 55:12 & 13, Psalm 67:6,

God is going to restore the land promised to Jacob to the sons of Israel, ‘forever.’

David is the ‘King,’ over Israel, and, the, ‘prince.’ This is a direct reference to the, ‘prince,’ in the restored Temple; Ezekiel 44:1-3

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Zechariah 6:12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD: 

Zechariah 6:13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

​I think the Anti-Christ will build the next temple to make it seem like he is fulfilling these verses. The devil's temple will be torn down and a new temple built by Jesus fulfilling these verses. When the earthquake happens it could destroy the devil's temple.

• Members

1. Paul did not say in Romans 9:24 and 25 that the prophecy only applied to the Gentiles, Paul plainly wrote,"... not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles." The Gentiles are grafted into the nation of Israel; Romans 11:15-23 Paul never said, nor even implied, that the Gentiles replaced the nation of Israel. You miss-interpreted Paul's statement. Paul plainly stated that, "... but also of the Gentiles?" Romans 9:24 The Gentiles are included, spiritually, into the nation of Israel. The Gentiles did not take over, replace, or any other form or fashion, either spiritually or physically, take the promises given to the nation of israel. The church is included, by grace, into the promises given to Israel.

2. You made another incorrect doctrinal statement, without any scriptural authority, when you said," The only future 'restoration' has already occurred. It was future from Hosea's time of preaching, but the past and present from our point in time." That statement is a falsehood and an unbelief in the prophecies of Hosea, specificly, Hosea 1:10 and 11. It is a historical falsehood as the restoration as promised by God in Hosea 1:10 and 11 never occured either physically or spiritually up to today in history.

God plainly stated in Hosea 1:10 "Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not people, there it shall be said, unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God." This promise of God to the physical sons of Israel has never been fulfulled after Hosea's time in any manner of speaking.

God plainly stated in Hosea 1:11, "Then shall the children of Judah and the children of Israel be gathered together, and appoint themselves one head, and they shall come up out of the land: for great shall be the day of Jezreel." This has never been fulfilled; either physically, spiritually, or any other maner or fashion. This prophecy is future. The belief that this was past history is an unbelief in the direct promise of God given by God to the nation of Israel.

The restoration of the nation of Israel is still future. This promise in Hosea 1:10 and 11 cannot be disannulled by man; "Brethren, I speak after the manner of men;Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth unto." Galatians 3:15

Please refresh your memory of the coventants and promises of God by the following:

The Old Testament, Unconditional, Covenants Fulfilled

1. Abraham. Genesis 12:1-3; 13:14-18; chapter 15: 17:1-14. The resurrected Abraham, and his saved, descendants, will at this time inherit the land that God promised Abraham, “... and to thy seed for ever.” Genesis 15:18, “In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.”

2. David. “And I will ordain a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, and they shall dwell in their place, and shall be move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness waste them any more, as at the beginning.” 1 Chronicles 17:9 Please note that David is asleep and that there are no conditions of this Covenant. It will be fulfilled by God whether or not the children of Israel follow the Law or not. It is an un-conditional covenant: 1 Chronicles 17: 3-15

Ezekiel 34:20-31; verse 23, “And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. And I the LORD will be their God [this is a direct reference to the Lord Jesus Christ as God], and my servant David a prince among them; I the LORD have spoken it.” 2 Samuel 7:4-17 and Psalm 89:3 and 4

3. The Covenant of Ezekiel 37. This chapter gives the vision of the, ‘Dry Bones,’ (a picture of the future restoration of the nation of Israel in the Millennium), God gave this Covenant. Ezekiel 37:24-26, “And David my servant shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children’s children for ever: and my servant David shall be prince their prince for ever.”

4. Confirmed to the Nation of Israel. Deuteronomy 4:31

Prophetic Promises to be Fulfilled to the Elect Sons of Jacob in the MillenniumRomans 11:5, “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.” The nation of Israel is God’s elect. The church did not replace the Elect sons of Jacob nor do the promises to the Church in the New Testament negate the promises to Israel.

Isaiah 9:6 tells us there will be no end to the Kingdom. The Kingdom will continue throughout eternity.

Isaiah chapter 11 the animal kingdom will be changed among other physical blessings.

Isaiah 24:23 After the horrific happenings listed in Isiah 24:1-22 the, “... LORD of hosts shall reign in Mt Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously.”

Isaiah chapter 35 tells us of the great physical blessings in the Millennium.

Isaiah 30:18-26 blessings upon blessings!

Isaiah chapter 60 tells us that the Lord will not only restore the nation of Israel but He will glorify the nation of Israel. Isaiah 60:12, “For the nation and kingdom that will not serve thee shall perish; yes, those nations shall be utterly wasted.” May I at this juncture remind the Saved Gentiles that the church did not, ‘replace,’ Israel, but the Saved Gentiles are, ‘grafted,’ into the nation of Israel. Romans 11

Isaiah 65:17-25 tells us of the increase of longevity and, ‘... the wolf and the lamb shall feed together...’ see also Zechariah 8:1-8

Ezekiel chapter 47 tells us further great physical changes and blessings.

Hosea 1:10 & 11 The nation of Israel will be as the sand of the sea.

Hosea 3:5 David will be King over Israel.

Micah 4:1-7 tells us all nations will come to the Millennial Temple.

Zechariah chapter 3 the LORD will take away the filthy garments of the Joshua the High priest in order to serve, ‘... my servant the BRANCH.’ The, BRANCH,’ is the Lord Jesus as KING.

Zechariah 8:21-23 tells us of the restoration of the Jew to international prominence.

Zechariah 9:10 tells us how far the dominion will cover.

Zechariah 12:9-14 tell how the Jews will mourn for the previous unbelief.

Zechariah chapter 14:4-11 and 16-21 tells us of changes of the land and the nations.

Also, Joel 3:18; 2:24-26, Amos 9:13, Isaiah 55:12 & 13, Psalm 67:6,

God is going to restore the land promised to Jacob to the sons of Israel, ‘forever.’

David is the ‘King,’ over Israel, and, the, ‘prince.’ This is a direct reference to the, ‘prince,’ in the restored Temple; Ezekiel 44:1-3

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

1. the state of being untrue.
    "the truth or falsehood of the many legends that surround her"
    • a lie.
      plural noun: falsehoods
      synonyms:lieuntruthfibfalsificationfabricationinventionfictionstory, cock-and-bull story, flight of fancy; More

• lying.
      "the right to sue for malicious falsehood"
      synonyms:lyingmendacity, untruthfulness, fibbing, fabricationinventionperjury,telling stories;

Rather than use the word "falsehood" which implies a person is a liar, would not it be better to say, a person is in error which does not imply ill will on there part?

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

1. lack of religious belief; an absence of faith.

Stating a person is in a state of unbelief just because they don't agree with you might also not be a good idea.

• Members

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

• a lie.
      synonyms:lieuntruthfibfalsificationfabricationinventionfictionstory, cock-and-bull story, flight of fancy; More

• lying.
      synonyms:lyingmendacity, untruthfulness, fibbing, fabricationinventionperjury,telling stories;

Rather than use the word "falsehood" which implies a person is a liar, would not it be better to say, a person is in error which does not imply ill will on there part?

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

Stating a person is in a state of unbelief just because they don't agree with you might also not be a good idea.

Thanks Pilgrim,

Alan's denunciation of Geneva was for a quotation of Scripture that supported his comment. Geneva could have added 1 Peter 2:9-10 which confirms that Hosea was understood by Peter and Paul to be being fulfilled by the Gospel.

Also, Peter understood the "holy nation" prophecy of Exo. 19:5-6 as being fulfilled in the people he was writing to - the first century church of Jew and Gentile believers.

Remember it's all to be fulfilled in 70 weeks - Calvary being the central event. 

• Members

ThePilgrim wrote:

false·hood
ˈfôlsˌho͝od/
noun

• a lie.

• lying.

un·be·lief
      ˌənbəˈlēf/
      noun

Alan replied,

Do you think that the above two definitions of false hood and unbelief are applicable in this case? Maybe they are applicable?

I brought out clearly the correct interpretation of Hosea 1:9-11 and the correct interpretation of the quotation of Hosea 1:9 by Paul the Apostle in Romans 9:24 and 25

Also, Paul very plainly stated in Romans 9:26, "And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God." This is still unfulfilled in any manner or fashion. This prophecy of Hoses as quoted by Paul clearly shows that the church did not fulfill this prophesy but the fulfillment is still in the future.

Therefore, to not believe the future fulfillment of Hosea 1:10 & 11 and Romans 9:24-26 is unbelief, "a lack of faith." as per your definition. And, as per your definition, the fabrication that Hosea 1:9 that the church took over the promises of God is a fabrication, an untruth, a lie.

Please take special notice. I said the doctrine was a falsehood and an unbelief, I did not say, nor imply, that Genevanpreacher started the falsehood. You twisted my words to imply I called Genevanpreacher a liar. You highlighted the portion, "falsehood and unbelief," but you did not highlight, "That statement is a falsehood and unbelief." That, to me is a deliberate twisting of the words I wrote and may be, by some folks, a libel and an un-Christian character trait.

Improper Internet Etiquette.

Also, I have noticed that you, Genevanpreacher, and Covenanter, are using improper internet etiquette by using extreme bold relief, improper highlighting of words, extreme bold printing of words to twist the meaning of a person, and large fonts to cow your adversaries and frighten others from responding. This improper internet etiquette is demeaning to the person you are verbally fighting, is very rude, and unbecoming of a saint. One of the reasons why a lot of brethren on OnLine Baptist are afraid to reply is due to your demeaning of their posts and roughness and improper internet etiquette.

The last posts of Genevanpreacher and ThePilgrim are both examples.

I am asking all who do not use proper internet etiquette to refrain to do so in future posts.

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Improper Internet Etiquette.

Also, I have noticed that you, Genevanpreacher, and Covenanter, are using imporper internet etiquette by using extreme bold relief, improper highlighting of words, exteme bold printing of words to twist the meaning of a person, and large fonts to cow your adversaries and frighten others from responding. This improper internet etiquette is demeaning to the person you are verbally fighting, is very rude, and unbeciming of a saint. One of the reasons why a lot of brethren on OnLine Baptist are afraid to reply is due to your demeaning of their posts and roughness and improper internet etiquette.

The last posts of Genevanpreacher and ThePilgrim are both examples.

I am asking all who do do not use proper internet etiquette to refrain to do so in future posts.

​Huh? Proper internet etiquette?

Where'd you pick this up? I have been on the internet for only 6 or 7 years, I guess I'm a 'babe' at it, but have never heard of this.

I thought bold lettering was for emphasis, as well as italics, and color was for defining a separation when replying to another's quote.

What is wrong with that?

And as for some being 'afraid' because of how we 'type' out things, that is just your imagination.