• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tragedy

John81

• Members

After dinner today, when he was supposed to be brushing his teeth, I caught our oldest in the kitchen trying to take a big kitchen knife. He claimed he just wanted to look at the knife but that was obviously a lie. Just what he wanted the knife for is worrisome in itself.

I had him sit in his chair in the dining room for awhile and then I went and talked with him. During the course of the talk I pointed out how is Mom and Dad love him and care for him, at which point he interrupted and said, "I don't see that you guys have done anything for me". :-S I asked him who makes sure he has more than enough to eat, who makes sure he has clothes to wear, a roof over his head, a bed to sleep in, who takes care of him when he's sick, etc. He said he never thought about that stuff. I pointed out that we don't have to provide him anything more than a basic meal and simple clothes but that we always have provided him with more. I noted how half the world would love to trade places with him. I told him we don't have to take him out to Pizza Hut, or let him have a cola to drink or some chips or a candy bar sometimes; I asked him who just bought him a nice hooded sweatshirt and pointed out we didn't have to do that either, etc. Again, he just looked as if he didn't really care too much and said he never thought about that stuff.

I'm at such a loss as to what, if anything, more I can do now. He's specifically refused to accept Christ because he says he wants to do what he wants rather than what God says. This scares me most of all because at his age and with what he knows of Scripture I do believe if he were to pass away he would be eternally lost. :sad

I even told him today that when he ran away just how worried I was about him and all the hours I spent looking for him and the miles I put on the car and that I couldn't sleep or eat and how happy I was when the call came that he was found. I told him how we went to pick him up and I had planned something like the story of the prodigal son for when we came home and how I was unable to do that because of his lies and dragging all these outside people into our lives.

I'm so sad and it pains me so much to see how he has become and to see the pain this is causing my wife; as well as so many others.

I truly appreciate all of your prayers. It's more than obvious to me that only God can get through his hardened heart and only God can open his eyes and understanding. I pray it's not too late. :pray

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not against counseling, I just want him to have Christian counseling because there is such a HUGE difference between Christian counseling and worldly counseling. True Christian counseling seeks to help the person understand the problems in their own heart and to correct them (among other things). Worldly counseling tends to look for others to blame for everything and often does little to correct the real problems. The Christian counselor believes in God and Scripture while the worldly counselor tends not to believe in either, or only superficially, and relies upon the "wisdom" of man to answer all questions.

I do worry that without realizing it our oldest son has placed himself in the hands of the devil by outrightly rejecting Christ and turning his back upon God and by not honouring his parents or others.

There is a man here in town ready to counsel him (mentioned him earlier, he's a former police officer, youth counselor and pastor). Our pastor approached him and then told us about him. However, if the social worker won't or can't accept him because of their rules, he won't be able to counsel our son. Please pray about this.

• Members
maybe you can ask the social worker if he could go to a certified christian institution?

lock your and your other kids bedroom at night. Who knows what's going through his mind right now. At least until you can trust him.

There is a Christian home (or whatever they call it) not all that far from here that my pastor and I have discussed. At this time, I don't think our son would want to go and I don't know if my wife would want him to go right now, although she has really awakened to some stuff lately and the knife thing has her worried.

Sadly, our sons share a room. My wife is now worried about this, as am I.

• Members

The knife thing scares me too.

Have you checked his room lately? What kind of music is he listening to, or sneaking? With his outright rebellion to salvation, and in light of a few other things you've said, my mind is unfortunately turning towards the idea of at least a demon oppression of your son, if not worse. I don't say it lightly...however, when a child who is relatively sheltered???? turns to such extreme rebellion and possibly violence, you really need to find an experienced Christian counselor who has dealt with children like this before.

I feel SO bad for you guys...man...

• Members
The knife thing scares me too.

Have you checked his room lately? What kind of music is he listening to, or sneaking? With his outright rebellion to salvation, and in light of a few other things you've said, my mind is unfortunately turning towards the idea of at least a demon oppression of your son, if not worse. I don't say it lightly...however, when a child who is relatively sheltered???? turns to such extreme rebellion and possibly violence, you really need to find an experienced Christian counselor who has dealt with children like this before.

I feel SO bad for you guys...man...

He no longer has a radio or CD player in his room. He lost the radio for listening to stations he was told not to listen too (country and rock). He lost his CD player for listening to it when he wasn't supposed to be listening to it. So, unless he is now hearing music at public high school, or on the bus, he's not listening to any music except for at church.

It really bothers me that since he finished 2nd grade he's been homeschooled and kept away from so much of the evil of the world with regards to wicked friends, books, music, etc. and yet he's so drawn to such.

The other day I gave him a copy of the latest Voice of the Martyers and Kids of Courage. When I went through his room after the knife incident I noticed both of them crunched up and tossed into his garbage can.

When he was younger he had such a love for reading the Bible and biblical stories and such. Today he tries to avoid the Bible and things biblical.

As you might expect, I'm in much prayer about this. I'm going to do what I can to make sure he's allowed to have a Christian counselor because I really fear what a worldly counsellor might put into his head.

It's so difficult because on the surface he doesn't seem like a "bad kid" and to anyone who hans't spent a lot of time around him they would never guess how he really is, but somehow a very self-centered aspect has taken hold of him and he believes everything should go his way and none of the rules should apply to him if he doesn't like them.

I've even tried explaining to him that it doesn't matter whether you are 2, 20, or 80, we all have rules to live by. No matter our age or who we are there are always things we have to do whether we want to or not and there are always things we can't do whether we want to or not. He seems to grasp the idea to an extent but yet doesn't think it should apply to him.

I was so careful when he was very young to make sure he always understood the rules and that I never punished him if he was uncertain or didn't know about a rule. When he would do something wrong when he was very young I would always ask him what he had done wrong, what the rule was about that and what the consequences were. From a very young age he's been able to say what rule he broke, what the rule is and what the consequences are.

Is it possible some children are born with a more rebellious heart than others? I know I'm far from perfect but I've done everything I could think of over the years to help him come to Christ at an early age, to help him know right from wrong, to guide him, teach him and instruct him. Looking back on it, it seems he's fought me every step of the way.

Only the Lord can reach him now and I pray I may yet be of use to the Lord in helping him to turn from evil and to turn to Christ.

• Members

John,

Praying for you. There is so much that could be said, but it could all be fruitless because we aren't there and don't have contact with you and your family. I am praying for wisdom for you, your wife, and your pastor. I pray that God will lift you up through this and that He will be glorified ultimately.

• Members
John,

Praying for you. There is so much that could be said, but it could all be fruitless because we aren't there and don't have contact with you and your family. I am praying for wisdom for you, your wife, and your pastor. I pray that God will lift you up through this and that He will be glorified ultimately.

Thank you Zeal. Your words and prayers are greatly appeciated!

• Members

I mean, it is true that every child is different and has a will, our four children are all very different and some harder to train than others (and none fully successfully yet of course). And also, the longer they go without being saved, the stronger the flesh and the devil are going to be, and fight.

No parent is perfect.... :pray