• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tragedy

John81

• Members

August turned out to be a horrible month for my family and I.

In the early morning hours of Sunday, August 10, around 1 a.m., our oldest son tore the screen out of his bedroom window, climbed out on the flat roof, jumped off, got his bike and ran away from home. All of this with no warning and with nothing seeming out of the ordinary.

I drove over a hundred miles that Sunday looking for him. The police, volunteer firemen and others were looking as well, along with our pastor sending out an emergency email for prayers and assistance.

Our son was found nearly 30 miles away Monday (11th) morning in a Wal-Mart. When we were informed we went to the sherrifs station to get him. Once there we were informed our son was claiming abuse! Thus one heart-wrenching nightmare was over and another beginning.

My wife and I spent the day being interviewed by police and social workers. They didn't like that almost everything my wife and I said didn't match what our oldest son was telling them. Near the end of the afternoon they began asking about spanking, to which I told the truth, to which they all looked shocked. That seemed to be enough for them. They stopped talking about all the outrageous claims our son had made (such as being constantly choked, kicked, punched and stuff like that).

At about this same time they managed to confuse and trick my wife into signing an order of protection against me which effectively banned me from my own house and family for three weeks. As it turns out, my wife thought she was simply signing a form saying she understood what our oldest had aledged and she thought she had to sign the form because he was a minor.

After realizing the tragedy the protective order was causing all of us my wife tried to get the order dropped but the judge refused to consider the issue until the original order expired on the 29th. In the meantime, my wife nearly lost her job at the bakery because of this since there was no one to watch the children.

As well, during this time I was under serious stress and didn't realize the medication I had take previous to this happening hadn't cured what was ailing me before. Eventually, on the 21st, this landed me in the hospital because of a large kidney stone lodged into the wall of something that had become infected. I was in the hospital until the 24th fighting the infection and high temperatures. On 9-11 I have to return to the hospital to have the large stone blasted.

Now we are under weekly home visitations from the social workers until sometime in October at which time the visits are to become less than weekly. I've been ordered to take "anger management" classes even though there has been no alegation or evidence of me having an anger problem. They also want our oldest son to undergo counseling but they won't approve a Christian counselor unless he has certain specific lisencing.

Paying for the extra 12 to 25 dollars for gas to drive back and forth for these meetings, while it doesn't sound like much, will actually put a major strain on our already strained budget.

This, plus my wife needs surgery on her right knee and that will mean more travel expenses and she will be unable to work for several weeks; at least.

They have placed our oldest son in the public high school and are pressuring us to get our youngest son in the public school.

Thankfully, our pastor has stood by our side mightily through all of this and has done all he could to be of help and comfort. I can't even imagine having to face all of this without the Lord and our pastor!

Anyway, that's a quick rundown of what has struck our family and why I have been away from OB for so long.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow. That is like every Christian parent's worst nightmare. :sad :badday:

If it helps at all, we've all been very worried about you, if you have time, check the thread with your name on it...one of the longest ones around!

Oh man, I am so, so, so sorry. How old is this son, again...12, right? I remember you have commented before that he has been difficult to handle at times.

We'll be praying for you...please keep us posted. Do you have custody of your oldest son right now? And are you back home (I assume)?

• Members

I'm sorry about your son.

Does he have a friend who think a strict home is abuse? Usually that get them thinking.

I think that even if you raised him like the world, he would still run away.

After reading about him, I knew he would do something like this, I didn't say anything as I was afraid I could be wrong. Because I know severals who are just like your son, and ran away. They even came from a good home. They lie alot too. They usually always unhappy and looking for someone (especially their parents) to blame it on. So yes, he does need some counseling, not because of you, but because of his own emotional issues. I hope you will find a good christian counselor.

he might find that he like being homeschooled better after going to a public school, btw.

• Members

John, I don't know you, and you don't know me either, but what you wrote touches everyones heart with out been able to stop it.
I know its a hard time for you and altough we could say we understand its not true if we haven't pass all what you have, but John I got some words that I would like to share them with you and I hope that teh Lord may use them and encourage you, if not at least I can guarantee you that I give you my word that I will pray for your situation.

- John, I don;t have the privilege of being a father. But I do have the privilege of being a son. And altough I have never carry in my hands a baby which has my blood and part of me, as a son I got some words. I know in this moment could be hard to see your son and tell him I love you, I know its hard to think that something like this could be happening. But brother remeber we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. once JaCK Hyles said sucess oesn't come when you fail and stand, it comes when you fail, fail, fail, fail, continue down, and down, and then more down and finally at the end you have sucess. I say this because sometimes we forget how hard things can be, how hard can Satan hit us, our faily or what we more love. I can read that you are a christian that believes on teaching your sons in the paths of the Lord. And as a son, that was once rebel I can identify with your son. I had a bad life as a teenager, and my parents where christians. ( I am talking read bad stuff) BUt you know what, altough I prcaticlly was against what they teached me, what I learned home, what I saw, and I have to admit that I tought several times on running out of house but I never did, but time passed, and passed, I have memories which I would love to not have in my mind, but I can't erease them. But I always had a dad and mom, who continue loving the Lord, who continue telling me the same, and the same, and I contonue been worse and worse, I am ashamed of all the tears I took from my mom, and all the ashame I gave my dad. But to not make longer the story and here is where I want to get:
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. It became true, one day finally become truth, even when I remeber one day my dad opening the door of my house and saying in loud voice, the door is opened if you want to go you can go, and remebering my mom one day praying to the Lord and saying: "God if tehy are not going to serve you, take them to your presence" hard moments but a real promise. God made it at the end, A kid who failed several times at school, who robbed stuff who used drugs, but that had a father and mom who constantly, and constantly teached me what was correct. Today I can be more thank to God, of the family I have, Finally one day I had to give acounts to the Lord, crying and with out been able to live one day more like I was, I accepted Jesus gift to forgive me and make me his son. Yes, a son of a baptist pastor, someone who knew, but refused, Who didn't care anything more than me (and girls). one day God made once again his promise real.

IN conclusion I hope that this humble words, of this unworthy servant of the Lord may encourage you, today, with my age of 22 I am decided and called to be a pastor, to win this world for Christ, I have no bigger purpose than serving my Lord, but I wouldn't be what I am today if I wouldn't have a father and mother like you and your wife that believes on teaching them what God says independentlt of the attacks that the enemy can give. brotehr John, In the name of Christ I hope you stand and continue the fight, God is with you, my brother don't give up, stand up and fight for your family don'tlet Satan take it away from you, God gave it to you, ts not going to be easy, God tells us once and once again if you want to leave for him, its gong to be hard but he also says specially in this moment for you JOhn he says:

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Your friend and brother,

Oh, John. Like other members have said, we have been very worried about you and knew that something was not right.

I can't imagine how much you and your family have been going through this past month. Hopefully, things will get better as the Lord is on your side...and, you have many friends in Christ out there who are praying for you and your family.

Keep close to your Creator and know that He is God. We missed you...and, we are very glad that you are back with us at OB. Take care. If we can do anything...just give us a shout...okay? :wave:

• Members

John81 - know that my prayers are with you and your family! I had something very similar to this happen with my oldest daughter who is now 26 yrs old. She has been diagnosed bi-polar and it started when she reached puberty... when she is on her medication she is a sweet young lady, but when she is off the meds she turns into her own "evil twin".

I am praying for you and your family as only someone who has experienced it first hand is able to! Remember the Lord will give you the strenght that you need to survive this!

• Members

Brother, I want give no long talk, I know how children can be ad how you've raised your children. My prayers are with you and your family. So sorry y'all are having to go thru all of this all at one time.

I sure glad that you got where you can post and leave us know what's happening.

• Members
Wow, really sorry to hear about your troubles, John. I'm glad to know that you're okay, though. We were all getting worried about you. It's a shame how much power the government has in raising people's kids at the first sign of trouble...

:pray

Yes and I hate that a kid can tell whatever story he wants, and it doesn't matter if mom, dad, grandpa, and grandma all say "He's lying", the state will believe the kid.

That is one reason I can't stand teaching anymore...kids reign supreme.... *sigh*

Poor John....

• Members

Yeah...I wouldn't want to teach in an American school, especially public. In Korea, the teacher is the ultimate authority in the classroom and is expected to use corporal punishment, if necessary. I have a friend who is a teacher and I sat in on her class one day and she used a rod to smack several kids hands several times in that one class. But they did deserve it. :frog