• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Questions about your faith?

Go to solution Solved by No Nicolaitans,

Guest Christina

Do you believe in speaking in tongues?  Do you believe in baptism in Jesus name? Do you believe in one god who is jesus not just two?

• Members

Do you believe in speaking in tongues?  

Do you believe in baptism in Jesus name? Do you believe in one god who is jesus not just two?

Biblical tongues, yes.  Not the babbling that is heard in most Pentecostal/Charismatic Churches today.

yes. however, there is also nothing wrong with saying, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost".

Jesus is God.  However, His Father is also God.  Jesus called His Father God, dare we refer to Him as anything less?

• Members

I believe tongues were spoken as described by Luke in Acts 2 and as taught by Paul in 1 Cor. 14. I don't believe what I've personally viewed in Pentacostal and Holiness Churches is of the Holy Spirit. I believe the ordinance of baptism is to be done in the Name of the Father, The Son (Jesus the Christ), and the Holy Spirit as Jesus told us in Matthew 28. I believe God is a triune God, one God with three persons or offices if you will, coequal in perfection and divine attributes. 

• Members
  • Solution

Do you believe in speaking in tongues?

I believe the gift of tongues was a spiritual gift (given to the early church) of being able to speak in a foreigner's human language that was otherwise unknown and unlearned by the speaker.

Do you believe in baptism in Jesus name?

Yes...in addition to the name of the Father and of the Holy Ghost...as Jesus Christ himself instructed and commanded in Matthew 28:19.

Do you believe in one god who is jesus not just two?

No, I believe in one God in three persons...the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Are you Oneness Pentecostal?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

1) Do you believe in speaking in tongues?  2) Do you believe in baptism in Jesus name? 3) Do you believe in one god who is jesus not just two?

1) 'Other languages' were spoken to spread the Gospel to other nations, during the early start to the church Jesus Christ set up. In the book of the 'Acts of the Apostles', written by Luke in the Bible, many nationalities were 'dwelling at Jerusalem' when the Apostles were given the gift of being understood by all who would hear the gospel and carry it back to their own country. At other times this gift was given to believers for the ministry God had prepared for them. Since the written books of the Bible were completed this gift died out and is no longer useful, as we have the scriptures written in 'other languages'.

2) Jesus is God in human form, thus anytime someone baptizes in the name of the Lord, whether 'Jesus' or 'the Lord' or 'God', they are all the same.

3) There are not 2 'gods' at all, and you misrepresent the truth with this type of question.

• Members

Matthew 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:1   And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12And they were all amazed,.......

One Jew that I know of, Benjamin Netanyahu, speaks at least two "tongues"; He speaks fluent English and Hebrew. But, unlike the miracle of the "unlearned" Galileans in Acts 2, Netanyahu had to learn his languages.. As you can see above, the tongues of Acts 2 were real languages: so the babbling of today is fake.

The answer to your last question is that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are one.... That is beyond my comprehension; but I believe it because it's what the Bible says.  John 10:30 1 John 5:7

Edited by heartstrings