• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

1 Corinthians 7 Paul's Authority

• Members

Paul is writing in reply to a question from the Corinthian Church (verse 1); obviously a question about the married state between a man and a woman. He speaks part of this chapter without citing a direct commandment of the Lord. Paul defers to the Lord's commandment in verses 10-11. 

However, Paul writes, in "But I speak this by permission and not of commandment." 

But the 'this' in verse 6 is difficult for me to "rightly divide." Paul continues after verses 10-11 with further discourse in verses 12-40. But it appears in verse 40b he cites authority of the Holy Spirit, "and I think also that I have the Spirit of God." Also, I would like to confirm Paul's authority is the Holy Spirit; I believe so but, the same sex crowd might argue against that.

Does Paul's "not of commandment"  refer to verses 1-5 or does it include through verse 9?

Does "not of commandment" mean, the words he spoke are from the Holy Spirit's guidance and instruction although not a direct commandment of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Isn't Paul still under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit throughout this chapter?

Does this allow someone to argue Paul doesn't have the Holy Spirit's guidance and authority in any part of chapter 7? 

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

The chapter reads as if Paul is giving advice, rather writing Scripture - there it is, as Scripture in our Bibles. For Pastors to get involved in marital situations is a minefield.

A tentative suggestion is that Paul is giving principles to be considered in various situations. Some points are definite, but not all. It will be interesting to see how the thread proceeds. 

One of my sons is on his third marriage - all entered as with Christian women. 

The first, his wife left him for one of his friends within a year of marriage, the second, a seemingly happy marriage with 2 children, but his wife suddenly announced she wanted a divorce, without any real grounds, & with no-one else involved. The judge dismissed her points as of no substance & divided the property - so he was able to buy another house straight away. 

• Members

I myself would contend that the apostle Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 7:6 begins a new thought that extends to verse 9.  In verses 1-5 we find not a single "I suggest" statement from the apostle, but only Holy Spirit inspired, authoritative instructions.  However, beginning with verse 6 we find Holy Spirit inspired, suggestive counsels that are being made by the apostle Paul.  Then in verse 10 the apostle Paul continues with his "I suggest" pattern, but substantiates it with the authority of the Lord's commandment, thus shifting the discussion back to absolute divine authority.

• Members

@ Covenanter
@ Pastor Scott Markle

I'm having difficulty with "Paul is giving principles to be considered" and "with verse 6 we find Holy Spirit inspired, suggestive counsels" I'll put on my Peter robe and jump out there with my thoughts. Any time Jesus Christ had Paul speak to one of the His churches, he (Paul) would have to be under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I believe the Holy Spirit would have prevented Paul from an utterance which was not in agreement in toto with Christ's position. Help me out here brothers.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

I apologize for intruding, but as I see it, 1 Corinthians 7:25 gives a great indication as to what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 7:6...

He was given permission (by the Holy Spirit) to include his own judgment.

I'm not saying I'm correct; that's how I see it though.

• Members

I apologize for intruding, but as I see it, 1 Corinthians 7:25 gives a great indication as to what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 7:6...

​You're not intruding, thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate all comments because I'm seeking the wisdom of my brothers. I hope I didn't deter others by requsting clarity directly from Ian and Scott. I sure I tagged them properly with the '@.'

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

I'm having difficulty with . . . "with verse 6 we find Holy Spirit inspired, suggestive counsels" I'll put on my Peter robe and jump out there with my thoughts. Any time Jesus Christ had Paul speak to one of the His churches, he (Paul) would have to be under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I believe the Holy Spirit would have prevented Paul from an utterance which was not in agreement in toto with Christ's position. Help me out here brothers.

​Certainly, anything whatsoever at all that the apostle Paul communicated as Scripture was inspired by God the Holy Spirit and carries the weight of absolute divine authority.  Even so, in 1 Corinthians 7:6-9 God the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to communicate "suggestive counsel" in just that manner -- as suggestive counsel.  We find this Holy Spirit inspired manner of "suggestive counsel" also in 1 Corinthians 7:25-28 and in 1 Corinthians 7:39-40.  In every one of these cases, the subject matter concerns the issue of pursuing after marriage, either in the case of one who is a virgin (never before married) or in the case of one who is a widow or widower.  Also in every one of these cases, the apostle presents both options (to pursue marriage or to avoid marriage) as legitimate options.

In 1 Corinthians 7:7 the apostle gives the "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that all individual remain unmarried even as himself.  Yet then he counters this "suggestive counsel" (also under inspiration) with the Biblical truth that in the matter of marriage, each individual has "his proper gift of God," some after the manner of marriage, and some after the manner of remaining single.  Indeed, in 1 Corinthians 7:8 the apostle again repeats his "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that it would be good for "the unmarried [those who have never been married] and widows" to remain unmarried.  On other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:9 the apostle reveals that if an individuals "cannot contain" (apparently, in this context, because they do not have the gift of God to remain single), then they should marry, specifically because "it is better to marry than to burn."  In this manner, both options are presented as legitimate under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.

Again in 1 Corinthians 7:25-26 the apostle gives the "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that virgins (those who have never been married) remain unmarried.  Herein the apostle also provides (under inspiration) the circumstantial reason for strongly considering this "suggestive counsel" -- "for the present distress" (which would imply that this "suggestive counsel" to remain unmarried is not as strongly applicable for times that would be definable as "present distress").  On the other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:28 the apostle indicates (also under inspiration) that if an individual does not follow his "suggestive counsel" to remain unmarried, but does actually get married, that individual has not committed a sin in so doing.  Nevertheless the apostle does warn that if an individual chooses to enter into marriage, that individual will "have trouble in the flesh" (apparently, in this context, because of "the present distress").

Yet again in 1 Corinthians 7:39-40 speaks concerning the same subject.  In 1 Corinthians 7:39 he indicates (under inspiration) that if a wife has been widowed by the death of her husband, "she is at liberty," according to God's own authority, "to be married to whom she will," only as long as that spouse is "in the Lord."  On the other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:40 the apostle again delivers his "suggestive counsel" that she would be "happier" if she remained unmarried.

In every one of these passage, both options are presented as legitimate options in the sight of the Lord our God; and both options are presented as legitimate through the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.  Nevertheless, the fact that God the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to deliver the "suggestive counsel" for some to remain single, especially for times of "present distress," indicates that the option to remain single is legitimate before the Lord (as per His gift), should be considered by each individual as a possible calling from the Lord, and should be considered with significant consideration in any given time of "present distress."

• Members

​Certainly, anything whatsoever at all that the apostle Paul communicated as Scripture was inspired by God the Holy Spirit and carries the weight of absolute divine authority.  Even so, in 1 Corinthians 7:6-9 God the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to communicate "suggestive counsel" in just that manner -- as suggestive counsel.  We find this Holy Spirit inspired manner of "suggestive counsel" also in 1 Corinthians 7:25-28 and in 1 Corinthians 7:39-40.  In every one of these cases, the subject matter concerns the issue of pursuing after marriage, either in the case of one who is a virgin (never before married) or in the case of one who is a widow or widower.  Also in every one of these cases, the apostle presents both options (to pursue marriage or to avoid marriage) as legitimate options.

In 1 Corinthians 7:7 the apostle gives the "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that all individual remain unmarried even as himself.  Yet then he counters this "suggestive counsel" (also under inspiration) with the Biblical truth that in the matter of marriage, each individual has "his proper gift of God," some after the manner of marriage, and some after the manner of remaining single.  Indeed, in 1 Corinthians 7:8 the apostle again repeats his "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that it would be good for "the unmarried [those who have never been married] and widows" to remain unmarried.  On other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:9 the apostle reveals that if an individuals "cannot contain" (apparently, in this context, because they do not have the gift of God to remain single), then they should marry, specifically because "it is better to marry than to burn."  In this manner, both options are presented as legitimate under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.

Again in 1 Corinthians 7:25-26 the apostle gives the "suggestive counsel" (under inspiration) that virgins (those who have never been married) remain unmarried.  Herein the apostle also provides (under inspiration) the circumstantial reason for strongly considering this "suggestive counsel" -- "for the present distress" (which would imply that this "suggestive counsel" to remain unmarried is not as strongly applicable for times that would be definable as "present distress").  On the other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:28 the apostle indicates (also under inspiration) that if an individual does not follow his "suggestive counsel" to remain unmarried, but does actually get married, that individual has not committed a sin in so doing.  Nevertheless the apostle does warn that if an individual chooses to enter into marriage, that individual will "have trouble in the flesh" (apparently, in this context, because of "the present distress").

Yet again in 1 Corinthians 7:39-40 speaks concerning the same subject.  In 1 Corinthians 7:39 he indicates (under inspiration) that if a wife has been widowed by the death of her husband, "she is at liberty," according to God's own authority, "to be married to whom she will," only as long as that spouse is "in the Lord."  On the other hand, in 1 Corinthians 7:40 the apostle again delivers his "suggestive counsel" that she would be "happier" if she remained unmarried.

In every one of these passage, both options are presented as legitimate options in the sight of the Lord our God; and both options are presented as legitimate through the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.  Nevertheless, the fact that God the Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to deliver the "suggestive counsel" for some to remain single, especially for times of "present distress," indicates that the option to remain single is legitimate before the Lord (as per His gift), should be considered by each individual as a possible calling from the Lord, and should be considered with significant consideration in any given time of "present distress."

​Bro. Scott, thanks for the reply. I was fairly certain about the admonition toward marriage but, what I was critically interested in you have also explained. The critical interest was how the text could be authoritively attributed. Beyond the fact, that Paul was an Apostle chosen by Christ to propagate the gospel beyond Jewry, I hoped to distinguish for future discussions and in my own mind how to respond to those who might have said, it is Paul's personal opinion without inspiration of God the Holy Spirit. I now have at least another brother, who agrees Paul was under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit. I still welcome other brothers or sisters to provide their own personal understanding.

• Members

​Bro. Scott, thanks for the reply. I was fairly certain about the admonition toward marriage but, what I was critically interested in you have also explained. The critical interest was how the text could be authoritively attributed. Beyond the fact, that Paul was an Apostle chosen by Christ to propagate the gospel beyond Jewry, I hoped to distinguish for future discussions and in my own mind how to respond to those who might have said, it is Paul's personal opinion without inspiration of God the Holy Spirit. I now have at least another brother, who agrees Paul was under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit. I still welcome other brothers or sisters to provide their own personal understanding.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression; in that, when I said...

I certainly believe Paul was under inspiration when he wrote what he did. Though permitted to include his own judgment, God (who is all-knowing) knew what Paul's judgment would be; therefore, Paul's judgment became part of (and included as) the inspired word of God...

• Members

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression; in that, when I said...

I certainly believe Paul was under inspiration when he wrote what he did. Though permitted to include his own judgment, God (who is all-knowing) knew what Paul's judgment would be; therefore, Paul's judgment became part of (and included as) the inspired word of God...

​Thanks brother, for the clarification. However, I took it the way you meant it. We agree, Paul was still providing Holy Spirit inspired text.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

13)  But, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.  14)  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shall love thy neighbor as thyself. 15)  But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.  Galatians 5:13-15

Perhaps Paul is referring to the fact that in Christ Jesus we have liberty, that is the freedom that we have to make certain choices.  For we see Paul referring to our being servant and free in I Corinthians 7:21-24.  For remember that Paul states it is good to be married but better to be single.   But most men or not able to withstand the trials of being single so it is no sin to marry, this is what I believe Paul is stating in I Corinthians 7:6-7.  The writer of Hebrews states:  Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.  Hebrews 13:4.  So I think that Paul is stating as liberty of or freedom of Christ if it is possible say single, but if your liberty will cause you to sin against your own body, see I Corinthians 6:18-20, marry.  As a saint i am one who struggles with this chapter escepially I Corinthians 7:2 and Hebrews 13:4, as I have no wife and like most men a very strong sex drive toward the fairer sex.  I have both these verses memorized as they have become a part of my prayer life.

So that Paul is speaking in the Authority of the Holy Spirit, but letting the Saints follow in the Liberty of Christ James 1:25; 2:12.  For Peter gives a similar message to the Saints as being free, see I Peter 2:11-17.

Edited by 19DuggarFan