• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Concerning "The Most High" in Daniel 9:24

• Members

Thanks, Pastor Scott, we can be helped or confused by reference to the Hebrew or Greek. In particular, a listing by Strong's numbering teaches us how a word is understood & translated in varioua contexts.

I agree with your understanding. 

Where "the most Holy" did refer to the inner sanctuary, it existed to show that access to God was only through the annual sacrifice of the Day of Atonement. But God tore the veil from top to bottom, showing that through Christ's sacrifice access was secured for all believers. 

The old covenant tabernacle, with all the associated rituals pointed forward to Jesus. The way into heaven, of which qodesh-qodesh was a pattern, is now & eternally open.

Heb. 9:23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; 26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 And as it isappointed unto men once to die , 
but after this the judgment: 
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

• Members

Very informative. One of the brethren is very astute with Hebrew. I think all of us owe our brother a word of thanks and a job well done. Not only is he, I presume the person is a he, only well versed in Hebrew but has a marked humility as well.

Thank you very much Pastor Markle for your exhaustive scriptual study of the word useage on the subject, in English, and the Hebrew occurances of, 'qodesh-qodesh,' or ,'the most holy,' particulary in Daniel 9:24. I also support your conclusion as the King James translators were also very well versed in this Hebrew occurance of, 'qodesh-qodesh,' word situation and translated it, I feel, correctly as we understand it.

Very interesting study.

• Members

The title of the post is "the most high".  qodesh does not mean "high", it means "holy". 

As a double Hebrew word (qodesh-qodesh), it emphasizes the holiness (ie: holy of holies). 

​You are correct concerning the mistake in the title of the post.  My brain and my fingers were apparently not in unison.  For all, the corrected title should be --

Concerning "The Most Holy" in Daniel 9:24.

And you are further correct in presenting that the Hebrew word "qodesh" means "holy, holiness," and that the doubling of the word emphasizes "holiness," such as "the holy of the holy," or "the holiest of the holy," or "the most holy."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

I've read on this forum that the "anointing" of Jesus occurred at his baptism in the river Jordan.  The baptism of John was the ceremonial "washing" prior to entering the priesthood.  The nation of Israel was called to be "a kingdom of priests" Exo 19:6.  "Anointing" is associated with olive oil.  Jesus is to become both priest and king.  He indeed became a "priest" at his baptism, but was rejected as "king" and never "anointed" (as was the manner with appointed kings of Israel).  Also, olive oil is used to "anoint" sacred places, such as the holy-of-holies.  The Tribulation Temple, described in Revelation, must be "anointed" prior to services being resumed.  As well, the Temple of Ezekiel 40-48 (Millennial Temple) will be "anointed".

Edited by beameup

• Members

1 Sam. 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Oil was the symbol, the Holy Spirit the reality.

• Members

I've read on this forum that the "anointing" of Jesus occurred at his baptism in the river Jordan.  The baptism of John was the ceremonial "washing" prior to entering the priesthood.  The nation of Israel was called to be "a kingdom of priests" Exo 19:6.  "Anointing" is associated with olive oilJesus is to become both priest and king.  He indeed became a "priest" at his baptism, but was rejected as "king" and never "anointed" (as was the manner with appointed kings of Israel).  Also, olive oil is used to "anoint" sacred places, such as the holy-of-holies.  The Tribulation Temple, described in Revelation, must be "anointed" prior to services being resumed.  As well, the Temple of Ezekiel 40-48 (Millennial Temple) will be "anointed".

1 Sam. 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Oil was the symbol, the Holy Spirit the reality.

Are Priests anointed with oil?

Exo 28:41 And thou shalt put them upon Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him; and shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Exo 29:7 Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him. (Aaron)

Exo 29:29 And the holy garments of Aaron shall be his sons' after him, to be anointed therein, and to be consecrated in them.

Exo 30:30 And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Exo 40:13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Exo 40:15 And thou shalt anoint them, as thou didst anoint their father, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office: for their anointing shall surely be an everlasting priesthood throughout their generations.

Lev 4:3 If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.

Lev 4:5 And the priest that is anointed shall take of the bullock's blood, and bring it to the tabernacle of the congregation:

Lev 4:16 And the priest that is anointed shall bring of the bullock's blood to the tabernacle of the congregation:

Lev 6:20 This is the offering of Aaron and of his sons, which they shall offer unto the LORD in the day when he is anointed; the tenth part of an ephah of fine flour for a meat offering perpetual, half of it in the morning, and half thereof at night.

Lev 6:22 And the priest of his sons that is anointed in his stead shall offer it: it is a statute for ever unto the LORD; it shall be wholly burnt.

Lev 7:35 This is the portion of the anointing of Aaron, and of the anointing of his sons, out of the offerings of the LORD made by fire, in the day when he presented them to minister unto the LORD in the priest's office; 36 Which the LORD commanded to be given them of the children of Israel, in the day that he anointed them, by a statute for ever throughout their generations.

Lev 8:12 And he poured of the anointing oil upon Aaron's head, and anointed him, to sanctify him.

Lev 8:30 And Moses took of the anointing oil, and of the blood which was upon the altar, and sprinkled it upon Aaron, and upon his garments, and upon his sons, and upon his sons' garments with him; and sanctified Aaron, and his garments, and his sons, and his sons' garments with him.

Lev 10:7 And ye shall not go out from the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: for the anointing oil of the LORD is upon you. And they did according to the word of Moses.

Lev 16:32 And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments:

Lev 21:10 And he that is the high priest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil was poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not uncover his head, nor rend his clothes;

Lev 21:12 Neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him: I am the LORD.

(I could go on but you get the idea. Priests are anointed)

Is Jesus already King of Kings? 

Heb 7:2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; 3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. (The Jews say, Salem became modern day Jerusalem)

Rev 15:3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

(Not he will be, but HE IS King of kings while fighting Satan to take the Jewish kingdom.This could be one of those cases where grammar is rejected. 

Edited by MountainChristian

• Members

Did not the Holy Spirit descend upon Jesus as he came up out of the water of the Jordan River?

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city,
to finish the transgression,
and to make an end of sins,
and to make reconciliation for iniquity,
and to bring in everlasting righteousness,
and to seal up the vision and prophecy,
and to anoint the most Holy. qodesh-qodesh holy-of-holies
Dan 9:24     Ezek ch 40-48 covers the Millennial Temple