• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hurricane Ike

• Members

in this moment of hurracanes with Hanna still bothering but getting more to calm, now we have another one behind. hurricane IKE, today changed from early morning hurricane category 2 to hurricane category 4, we have to watch this hurracane. In this moment its north to the Dominican Republic.

• Members
We just had Gustav, we don't want Ike too, but I don't like our chances...

All the people whining about Hanna...it's just a tropical storm lol.

True Mrs W. but don't you think Hanna has weird, normally this storms dies fast, in one week or something but Hanna is still there being silly. Crazy Hanna.

• Members

Its because Hanna is moving so fast...I mean, in one day she makes landfall in SC/NC and now she is all the way up past New York. We've had some welcome rain because of it.

Ike looks very bad indeed....Pensacola was spared GustAV but looks as if possibly may not be as lucky with Ike. (Where my bro still lives for a few more months)

• Members

tropical storm bring in floods. We had a flood here in VA one time.I remember it all too well. I had to stay at the school for a long time til the flood settled down some. Several people died. especially a little boy from my elementary school. They developed a memorial page just for him in the yearbook that year.

True Mrs W. but don't you think Hanna has weird' date=' normally this storms dies fast, in one week or something but Hanna is still there being silly. Crazy Hanna.[/quote']

She is a woman storm...she is in for the long-haul. hehe. She won't give in, or give up. It is in her nature. :thumb

• Members

It looks like Ike is going to spare us here in Tampa. I can't stand watching the weather people talk about the hurricanes. One today said "with any luck it will hit Cuba and lose intensity" as if it is just a desolate land mass. It isn't a hurricane barrier, people live there too! Life in Cuba isn't all that great without a major hurricane.

Yeah, although we don't want it we really don't wish it upon others either. I wish it would just fizzle out or something. The way Ike looks like it's headed, we might be on another road trip next weekend...lol...I'd rather pass haha.

• Members
Yeah' date=' although we don't want it we really don't wish it upon others either. I wish it would just fizzle out or something. The way Ike looks like it's headed, we might be on another road trip next weekend...lol...I'd rather pass haha.[/quote']

Good luck! I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Members

I pray for those in the path of these storms but I really wonder why there is so much talk of "luck" here in this thread; and sometimes elsewhere on OB :puzzled:

If one believes in the Bible then they believe God is in control of all things and there can be no "luck". The concept of "luck", in various forms, was very much used in many pagan religions. The ancient Norse/Germanic religion held "luck" in a very high position.

For us Christians, we should be speaking of blessings and the like. God is our Shield, able to shield us from any and all storms. God is our Protector, able to protect us from anything and everything. If we, or anyone else, is shielded or protected from a storm, that's a blessing from God, not "luck" or "chance" or any other unbiblical concept.

Please don't take this post wrong, I'm not attacking anyone, just pointing out something that we Christians can find ourselves caught up in and that is using worldly terms that we shouldn't be using.

When I see reports on the news of those who have survived storms and other things I always note whether they attribute their safety to "luck" or God. During a storm last year and elderly black woman was thanking Jesus and God for her safety. The reporter commented something to the effect of how she had been lucky, to which the woman replied that God saved her. :amen: Praise God for that testimony that went out on national TV!

Great post John! Some ridiculous people around here have begun evacuating already for Ike when it's way too early to tell where it's even going to go yet. I pray that we will be spared, but that everyone else will be too and that it will just fizzle out. I know that God guide the weather. I just don't have the energy for another very long road trip with two small boys. I'm still recovering from last weekend. It's also amazing how much you miss church when you cannot be in a service and how much it spiritually drains you not being able to go. I know God doesn't give us more than we can bear, but I really don't want to have to bear this, things are crazy enough right now as it is without any more added stress.

• Members
I pray for those in the path of these storms but I really wonder why there is so much talk of "luck" here in this thread; and sometimes elsewhere on OB :puzzled:

If one believes in the Bible then they believe God is in control of all things and there can be no "luck". The concept of "luck", in various forms, was very much used in many pagan religions. The ancient Norse/Germanic religion held "luck" in a very high position.

For us Christians, we should be speaking of blessings and the like. God is our Shield, able to shield us from any and all storms. God is our Protector, able to protect us from anything and everything. If we, or anyone else, is shielded or protected from a storm, that's a blessing from God, not "luck" or "chance" or any other unbiblical concept.

Please don't take this post wrong, I'm not attacking anyone, just pointing out something that we Christians can find ourselves caught up in and that is using worldly terms that we shouldn't be using.

When I see reports on the news of those who have survived storms and other things I always note whether they attribute their safety to "luck" or God. During a storm last year and elderly black woman was thanking Jesus and God for her safety. The reporter commented something to the effect of how she had been lucky, to which the woman replied that God saved her. :amen: Praise God for that testimony that went out on national TV!

:amen:

I was thinking the same thing every time I saw the word luck.

I was thinking of the word fortunate would work much better.

• Members

Wow! I didn't realize I was being so offensive. I was merely expressing that I wish her success no matter what path the storm takes. I see nothing un-Christian about that. I thought about it and really didn't think in a Christian forum people would take it in a superstitious manner. I was wrong. We all understand that God is in control.

To have luck: to receive some good, or to meet with some success, in an unexpected manner, or as the result of circumstances beyond one's control; to be fortunate.

FWIW - Luck and Fortune are the same thing.