• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Administrators

Today some churches refuse people from taking the Lord's supper. But Jesus let Judas partake. JUDAS!!!! No where does it say for the church to refuse to serve anyone.

​ 1Co 5:9  I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 
 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 
 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 
 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 
 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

• Members

​ 1Co 5:9  I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 
 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 
 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 
 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 
 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Thanks Jim

I want to think about this verse and why Jesus allowed Judas to eat. 

• Members

Very clearly explained MC, thanks.

Hmmmmm - I am actually not sure what the argument is.

Certainly there are a few problems with the OP, but as I am not sure of the point he is trying to make I am not sure if they are important to point out......

• Members

1 Cor 11

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 

​this verse is the important one in this point - examine himself, AND SO LET HIM EAT......

​What is implied is to examine yourself and prepare so that you can eat, not to disqualify yourself.

​In fact, if someone disqualifies themselves they are heaping sin upon sin, for they know they have sin and refuse to take it to the Lord.

• Members

We pause with bowed heads in silence before we celebrate the Lord's Supper. Anyone who has anything which might be between them and the Lord may pray and confess it. I've never had a time that something didn't come to mind to make sure I had declared it to my Savior and ask forgiveness.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

We pause with bowed heads in silence before we celebrate the Lord's Supper. Anyone who has anything which might be between them and the Lord may pray and confess it. I've never had a time that something didn't come to mind to make sure I had declared it to my Savior and ask forgiveness.

​This is our practice as well.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I agree completely with the OP and have tried as well to help people see the context of this passage. It is not about being worthy in our lives. We never will be! It is about the manner in which the supper is observed. If truth be known, we probably went to the little cracker and small cup of juice just because of people abusing it!

When reading scripture we can either be led by the flesh or by the Spirit. If we are led by the flesh we will seek to understand scripture to satisfy our desires of the flesh. If we allow the Spirit to guide us, He will show us all truth. I think some folks have a fleshly understanding of this passage that satisfies their pride. They prepare to partake of the Lords Supper with the mindset of "I AM worthy to take the Lords Supper". I picture the Spirit just shaking His head at it.

• Members

I think the main point was that they were not recognising other parts of The Lords Body, ie the rest of the fellowship. Col 1:18 'he is the head of the body, the church', I think the principle is Judge not lest ye be judged, Mt 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mt 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.1Co 11:33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

Christ was not judging them for their sins as such, but he was judging them one against the other, they were effectively devouring one and other. I guess in that some were hungry and some were stuffed there was some king of class snobbery or ignorance going on in the fellowship, and so instead of a blessing, they got a curse.

It isn't the bread which is dangerous it is the fellowship.

As for the unrepentant fornicator, you would not need refuse him the supper if he was excluded from fellowship as the one in Chapter 5 of 1Cor says. I guess this is based on the public profession side of truth, Judas was a deceiver, only Jesus knew about him, in the case of the fellow who was fornicating it was commonly reported and everyone knew, and the Church were advised to put him away from them. It is the whole church who were responsible for putting someone out of fellowship. God Judges the hearts, the Church deals with the out in the open visible known sins. I think the unrepentant fornicator and a unrepentant Heretic are the only examples in Scripture where people are put out of fellowship.

Mt 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Mt 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

If God doesn't forgive you your trespasses he will Judge you (at the table)

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.