• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Weekly report to pastor

• Members

​Absolutely, but we can't force others to go and if people go out of being forced to that means they are going in their own power and not in that of the Holy Ghost.

We can preach, teach and exhort others to live as Christ calls us to, but we can't make them do so.

Just as it's better not to partake of the Lord's Supper if we have sin in our heart that needs attention, it's better not to go witnessing or doing other things out of compulsion with a heart not surrendered to Christ, not guided by His Spirit.

First the heart issue needs to be tended to, then obedience out of love will follow.

​I suppose, if they won't go because the author of their faith commands them, they sure won't go because their pastor requires it of them.

• Members

​I suppose, if they won't go because the author of their faith commands them, they sure won't go because their pastor requires it of them.

​I've known of churches where there is much pressure for everyone to go out and report back so many go out of guilt, some even make up stories (lies) about what they do just to relieve the pressure.

In a few churches the focus is so much on numbers they would have attacked Phillip for going to meet with just one man when he could have knocked on dozens of doors instead.

It's common in many churches for some to accept positions in the church out of feeling pressure to do so or simply because they are afraid to say no for some reason. We've encountered this in our own church. We will ask someone if they would be interested in the nursery or Sunday school and they say yes but only because they didn't feel they could say no for some reason. We try to be careful to look for signs this is the case and if we see signs of such we make it clear to them if they would rather not be in that position it's fine, we will find someone else.

We've all probably experienced the typical pattern of most churches where 20% (sometimes less) of the members do 90-100% of the work.

We also have to factor in that we each grow at different rates, our maturity levels are all different, the Lord works on each of us in different areas at different times and in different ways.

We can do what we are called to do, but then it's between them and the Lord.

• Moderators

Christ has commanded us all to 'go', but that 'going' is going to look different for every person. Yes, a lot of us aren't doing what we could, but is a method like this really the best way to fix the problem? Seems to me that it would result in a lot of guilt and performance-based improvement rather than actually addressing any heart issues. 

• Members

​I've known of churches where there is much pressure for everyone to go out and report back so many go out of guilt, some even make up stories (lies) about what they do just to relieve the pressure.

In a few churches the focus is so much on numbers they would have attacked Phillip for going to meet with just one man when he could have knocked on dozens of doors instead.

It's common in many churches for some to accept positions in the church out of feeling pressure to do so or simply because they are afraid to say no for some reason. We've encountered this in our own church. We will ask someone if they would be interested in the nursery or Sunday school and they say yes but only because they didn't feel they could say no for some reason. We try to be careful to look for signs this is the case and if we see signs of such we make it clear to them if they would rather not be in that position it's fine, we will find someone else.

We've all probably experienced the typical pattern of most churches where 20% (sometimes less) of the members do 90-100% of the work.

We also have to factor in that we each grow at different rates, our maturity levels are all different, the Lord works on each of us in different areas at different times and in different ways.

We can do what we are called to do, but then it's between them and the Lord.

​I thought we were talking about people who already have some position in the church. I say if they are ready to assume some position of work for Christ in the church then they are ready to witness for Christ. If they have not grown into this grace then they may need help growing, not telling, but showing. Philip had already grown in the grace of service in the local church and went out to witness and be used of God to grow the church. Anyway, if they aren't obeying Christ in this his last command then they may need to be taken by the hand. My opinion for what its worth.

• Members

Christ has commanded us all to 'go', but that 'going' is going to look different for every person. Yes, a lot of us aren't doing what we could, but is a method like this really the best way to fix the problem? Seems to me that it would result in a lot of guilt and performance-based improvement rather than actually addressing any heart issues. 

​"performance-based improvement" ? 

People need discipleship and the opportunity to grow in all the graces available. However, I'm an old rough around the edges retired Navy Chief and I'm not so much in touch with my softer side. We called it OJT. It is a lot of the Holy Spirit's bidding for me to go, its a lot more for me to arrange and take someone with me but, I'm growing in that grace too. Hey, I won't drag this on further...its just that I have no problem with a pastor requiring these things of those working in the church.  

• Moderators

The only way that I might implement such an idea, is if it was paid staff, and it was part of their paid duties. A progress report would then be appropriate. HOwever, even I don't get paid, much less anyone else, so, I don't see it happening. Though usually anyone doing anything in our community will often come and let me know, just by choice, often seeking prayer for results or for some person they've been dealing with.