• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Weekly report to pastor

• Members

Our pastor is now having church "workers" there's only like 8 of us, (I teach SS), turn in a slip of how many visits we made, how many tracts we handed out, how many possible salvations, how many people we talked to about Christ every week, etc.I just wondered if any other church does this? I understand keeping track of people who seemed interested but this seems more like a contest or a constant push to constantly do more, more, more never enough. 

I was pushed into teaching SS because there wasn't anyone else really and said I'd only do it for a year. I enjoy it now, but I'd also like to be able to go to adult SS too. There's no one else to teach it a year later, which is what I was worried about. My mom hasn't sat in adult SS for 20 some years because her church is also small and there's no one else that'll step up. 

• Moderators

Our pastor is now having church "workers" there's only like 8 of us, (I teach SS), turn in a slip of how many visits we made, how many tracts we handed out, how many possible salvations, how many people we talked to about Christ every week, etc.

​In a word ---  :icon_rolleyes::15huh:.    Okay, that's 2 words (sort of). Sounds like your pastor has too much free time on his hands and needs a part time job.

The natural tendency is to lie on the report on "off" weeks to keep from looking bad -- I wouldn't want to add pressure in that direction with something like this.

As to teaching, we have always found that the amount of study involved in preparation causes you to learn more than just being in SS will.

• Administrators

I did attend a church where the staff was required to do that. The pastor's reason simply was to make sure the staff was doing right. No competition intended - nor did any result.

The church we are in now has everyone involved in a ministry put how many hours we visited - a minimum of 1 hour is required for all but bus workers (theirs is more because of the nature of the ministry). To be honest, it doesn't bother me a bit.

I don't think it's right to jump to a conclusion like him having too much time on his hands. Mayhap he's genuinely wanting to ensure folks are doing as they should.

I doubt that he's wanting to create a competition, either. He's probably just expecting everyone to be honest. I'm thinking maybe if you really don't like it you should talk to him.

• Members

I attended a church that had a list of the staff, regulars, and college students(from the attached Bible College) who went out on visitation night. Before we left, we had to check next to our name that we were there and when everyone got back from visitation they had to sign in and note how many visits were made, number of tracts passed out, and number saved. There might've been more, but it's been a few years since I was there and I can't remember everything that was required, but yeah it sounds very similar. 

• Administrators

This is exactly what the JW's do as a "control" tactic. Failure to do the expected by the "elders' puts the poor "publisher" in a position where they feel guilt, which is another control tactic.

I am not saying that this is what this pastor is doing, but after all, we are not responsible for results, The Holy Spirit is. We are only responsible to be faithful.   1Cor. 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 

• Moderators

Now that I have more time....

Expanding on what I said (not backtracking, just clarifying): In a church with a Bible School I understand verifying the time spent (in Bible Institute we always required students to put in 2 hours weekly of evangelistic ministry in addition to any additional witnessing they might do: 1st year 2 hrs visitation, 2nd year 1 hr visitation and 1 hour open air public ministry [street preaching, fair ministry, etc], 3rd year 1 hr visitation and 1 hour nursing home, 4th yr 1 hour visitation and 1 hour radio).

She said this church only has 8 workers including SS teachers -- a pastor SHOULD have a feel for what's going on with so few people. But, "How many have you talked to about Christ and how many tracts?" Now granted, I've never been involved in working in a ministry with more than 750 people nor any less than 6.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

Most Sunday school teachers I've talked with, excluding adult Sunday school teachers, do very little (if any) study or prep before teaching children Sunday school. Most use ready made curriculum which they follow.

Sadly, I know many women who have taught Sunday school for years who could tell you very little of what's in the Bible and next to nothing of real significance.

So far, every adult Sunday school teacher I've know has/does put in a lot of study and prep for their classes.

We have a little trouble filling our Sunday school teacher needs now that we are in a place of having fewer children right now. Several women who used to teach when their children were going through Sunday school don't want to do it anymore now that their children are grown.

We've had a small baby boom the past few years but it will be awhile before they all reach Sunday school age.

As to keeping track of details on soul winning, tracts passed out, potential or actual souls won in order to give a report doesn't seem good. There doesn't seem to be good precedence for such in Scripture. These activities are to be done out of a heart moved by the Lord to do so, not by outside compulsion, guilt, competition, to please a pastor or other like reasons.

A pastor should have a good idea who his flock is and what they are doing without needing reported details; especially in a small church.

Whether a small, medium or large church, it's often the case that a small percentage of members do the bulk of what needs to be done.

• Members

If people aren’t fulfilling the command to evangelize then it is the pastor’s duty to “reprove, rebuke, exhort."
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28:19-20

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

My only question would be, is there a problem in this congregation with the church fulfilling the great commission locally (your Jerusalem) and individually (each member of Christ’s Church)? If the answer to the question is no, then I question the pastor’s intent, if yes I would say folks need to encourage one another to “do the work of an evangelist.”

Tell your pastor to send my check to my home address. :)

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

If people aren’t fulfilling the command to evangelize then it is the pastor’s duty to “reprove, rebuke, exhort."
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

My only question would be, is there a problem in this congregation with the church fulfilling the great commission locally (your Jerusalem) and individually (each member of Christ’s Church)? If the answer to the question is no, then I question the pastor’s intent, if yes I would say folks need to encourage one another to “do the work of an evangelist.”

Tell your pastor to send my check to my home address. :)

​Your are correct, it's the pastors duty to build the congregation up in Christ, to teach them how, and why, to surrender to Christ, to instruct them how to live out their faith, how to keep the commands to love one another, share burdens, pray, spread the Gospel, make disciples, etc.

If the pastor is doing these things then it's up to the congregation to allow the Holy Ghost to work in them as they surrender to live for Christ.

Evidence of a congregation living for Christ will show itself with no need for filling out a report.

If a pastor believes something is lacking or needed within the congregation seeking the Lord on the matter and addressing such in sermons and studies may be what's needed.

A couple of years ago or so there was a widespread assault on marriages in around and around our community. Thankfully only two couples in our church were directly impacted, but many were indirectly impacted by marriage attacks to family members and friends. Our pastor spent much time in prayer over this, and brought this up during our pre-service prayer time. We had some special services on biblical marriage, our pastor also made it clear over and over that his door was open to help any couple which wanted to come in to speak with him.

This action seemed to stem the effects within our church and also eventually helped in dousing the assaults on marriage within the community.

Not only pastors and church leaders, but members of the congregation need to be aware of what's going on (both good and bad) so as to rightly pray, speak up, offer help and come alongside those in need. A report shouldn't be necessary to know Susan shares her faith often but Sally spends much more time in intercessory prayer; or that Bill gives much time to helping those in need, both inside and outside the church, while Jack is a sports addict.

That said, if a pastor demands reports on how people are living out their Christian faith, that's between that pastor, the congregation and God as a part of the local autonomy (independence) apart from other churches.

Thankfully our pastor would never suggest, let alone require such a thing.

• Members

That said, if a pastor demands reports on how people are living out their Christian faith, that's between that pastor, the congregation and God as a part of the local autonomy (independence) apart from other churches.

Thankfully our pastor would never suggest, let alone require such a thing.

​If the workers aren't working then they should be ashamed of themselves. It will take the Holy Spirit to convict them of their lack in obeying Christ's commandment. I don't know what is going on at this church besides what was introduced in the OP, however I'll err on the side of the pastor. All the speculation outside of scripture should not enter into it. If he is the pastor and doesn't know what is needed, in accord with scripture, then he may be in the wrong place (may be).

If it comes to this at my church then, I will support God's man.

• Members

This is in conflict with Matthew 6. Our works are to be private between us and Jesus. 

If obedience comes from requirement we are under the law. If obedience comes from love we are under grace. 

Shouldn't the Holy Ghost tell a pastor people aren't obeying? 

Why would we assume the Holy Spirit isn't using the pastor. Sometimes God's man is placed in your face by the Holy Spirit to get things done. Take Paul's exhortation to the Corinthian Church in 2 Corinthians 8 , he had to practically brow beat them to grow in a grace. The Holy Spirit may at this point be grieved and the pastor may have exhausted teaching and preaching as in 2 Timothy 4:2 and now the Spirit directs him to more direct action. Yes, love, John 15:10 .

• Members

​If the workers aren't working then they should be ashamed of themselves. It will take the Holy Spirit to convict them of their lack in obeying Christ's commandment. I don't know what is going on at this church besides what was introduced in the OP, however I'll err on the side of the pastor. All the speculation outside of scripture should not enter into it. If he is the pastor and doesn't know what is needed, in accord with scripture, then he may be in the wrong place (may be).

If it comes to this at my church then, I will support God's man.

​It could also be that if the church workers aren't working as needed perhaps the wrong people are in those positions. It doesn't serve the purpose of God to force people into positions the Lord hasn't called them to.

Not knowing the specifics I can't address details, only speak to general matters.

While the pastor may be trying to do what's needful, it's also possible he's failing to lead properly in this area or failing in who or why he places people in certain positions. I can't make that call so won't even attempt to.

As I mentioned previously, this is an internal church matter and it's up to them to deal with it and not something those of us outside the church can perfectly speak upon.

As our pastor reminds us, all us men who are members of our church are "God's man", not just him. Iron sharpeneth iron and we have a specific men's Bible study for this very purpose.

• Members

It doesn't serve the purpose of God to force people into positions the Lord hasn't called them to.

Not knowing the specifics I can't address details, only speak to general matters.

​Christ has commanded every one who received him to "Go" . 
"19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
I don't believe God would command a person if they didn't have the capability. I've seen few here with the exception of the disabled or those who are spammers lacking the ability to go, teach, witness, particularly in their local "Jerusalem".

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members

​Christ has commanded every one who received him to "Go" . "19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
I don't believe God would command a person if they didn't have the capability. I've seen few here with the exception of the disabled or those who are spammers lacking the ability to go, teach, witness, particularly in their local "Jerusalem".

​Absolutely, but we can't force others to go and if people go out of being forced to that means they are going in their own power and not in that of the Holy Ghost.

We can preach, teach and exhort others to live as Christ calls us to, but we can't make them do so.

Just as it's better not to partake of the Lord's Supper if we have sin in our heart that needs attention, it's better not to go witnessing or doing other things out of compulsion with a heart not surrendered to Christ, not guided by His Spirit.

First the heart issue needs to be tended to, then obedience out of love will follow.