• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Using Geocaching for evangelism

• Members

Hey everyone!  I've recently become interested in a new hobby and have felt a burden to incorporate evangelism into it.  The hobby is called geocaching.  For those of you that may be unfamiliar with it, it is kind of like a scavenger hunt.  People hide "caches" in different settings, urban, residential, parks, woods, etc.  The person that hides the cache posts it on the website geocaching.com with a description of it and GPS coordinates to the location then folks go find them.  Many of these caches differ in size from as small as a 35mm film canister up to ammo boxes.  It is a hobby that the whole family can do and it is basically free.  You can download an app for your smartphone to search for caches and it gets you outside and walking around.  In the caches people often leave little trinkets or toys to trade with whoever finds the cache.  The general rule is if you take something, leave something.  I thought this would be a great way to get tracts or gospel coins out depending on the size of the cache.  The tracts and coins can go places we can't and reach people we may never be able to reach.

I like to try and leave tracts places I go, like at a gas pump, in public restrooms, etc.  I thought this would be another avenue to get the gospel out to folks.  This would not take away from my regular soul winning activities but would be in addition to.  And it's something I would feel safe taking my kids along to do too.

Wondering if anyone has done anything like this.  Or any ideas for or against this.  Maybe something I overlooked.  Interested in hearing your thoughts!

• Moderators

I've thought of that with geocaching too, and actually heard of a youth group that did it. My thoughts are that if one was to do this regularly, it might be a good idea to do so with an interesting or more unusual item - like a gospel coin or Chick tract. Something that looks a little less like you're just 'spamming' the caches with tracts, KWIM? 

I did it once with a book cache I found (it's exactly what it sounds like). Someone else had left a Book of Mormon... so I just traded that for a Chick tract. :wink

• Members

I've thought of that with geocaching too, and actually heard of a youth group that did it. My thoughts are that if one was to do this regularly, it might be a good idea to do so with an interesting or more unusual item - like a gospel coin or Chick tract. Something that looks a little less like you're just 'spamming' the caches with tracts, KWIM? 

I did it once with a book cache I found (it's exactly what it sounds like). Someone else had left a Book of Mormon... so I just traded that for a Chick tract. :wink

I thought that the chick tracts and coins would have an interesting enough look to them that people would check them out.  Good trade on the book of mormon!

• Moderators

I'd never heard of geocaching before (I'm about as tech savvy as an 80 year old with a rotary dial phone -- new fangled thang ain't got no crank nor operator). I like the idea, especially the getting the younguns in on it. Our teen group used to go into stores and put tracts in clothing pockets, basketball boxes, suitcases of beer, etc.(think of shoplifting in reverse) Most any package that you can place the tract in without tearing or opening the box.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

Oh yes!  We love geocaching, and we do our best to "dedicate" our time enjoying this "hobby" to God's glory.  We have met many, many people thru geocaching, and we always try to be a testimony that shines on our precious Saviour.  We have met several fellow believers that cache, and we try to be of encouragement to them...and we've also met many, many other cachers that need the Gospel.  Opportunities to share Christ are plentiful with local cachers, as well as at geocaching events.  We have seen little New Testaments, numerous tracts, and other such items left in the regular size caches before - and we have left several tracts ourselves.  We created a "Puzzle" cache called "The Flood Boat" that cachers have to go to the Word (KJV) to find "clues" in, in different passages of scripture to figure out the coordinates of the cache.  We recently had a "Treasure Hunt" for two of our grandsons...and they had to keep their "Swords" handy because they each had to read a verse and figure out the common word in each....to figure out the "hint" for each one.  Each cache was also named with an Easter term, and we all had lots of fun.  We realize that geocaching is not for everyone but we truly enjoy the fresh air, the exercise, the beauty of the areas that we go to, the relaxation from stress that it affords us, the "exercise" of our minds and skills of observation, and best of all....the different people that we've gotten to meet.     

• Members

Oh yes!  We love geocaching, and we do our best to "dedicate" our time enjoying this "hobby" to God's glory.  We have met many, many people thru geocaching, and we always try to be a testimony that shines on our precious Saviour.  We have met several fellow believers that cache, and we try to be of encouragement to them...and we've also met many, many other cachers that need the Gospel.  Opportunities to share Christ are plentiful with local cachers, as well as at geocaching events.  We have seen little New Testaments, numerous tracts, and other such items left in the regular size caches before - and we have left several tracts ourselves.  We created a "Puzzle" cache called "The Flood Boat" that cachers have to go to the Word (KJV) to find "clues" in, in different passages of scripture to figure out the coordinates of the cache.  We recently had a "Treasure Hunt" for two of our grandsons...and they had to keep their "Swords" handy because they each had to read a verse and figure out the common word in each....to figure out the "hint" for each one.  Each cache was also named with an Easter term, and we all had lots of fun.  We realize that geocaching is not for everyone but we truly enjoy the fresh air, the exercise, the beauty of the areas that we go to, the relaxation from stress that it affords us, the "exercise" of our minds and skills of observation, and best of all....the different people that we've gotten to meet.     

That is awesome.  I hope to have similar experiences.  

Does anyone have a good place to order gospel coins?  I have seen them on Bible Baptist Bookstore website but cannot make out what both sides say.  Living Waters has a very attractive one but the verses are not KJV so it's out.  Anyone know of any others?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey everyone!  I've recently become interested in a new hobby and have felt a burden to incorporate evangelism into it.  The hobby is called geocaching.  For those of you that may be unfamiliar with it, it is kind of like a scavenger hunt.  People hide "caches" in different settings, urban, residential, parks, woods, etc.  The person that hides the cache posts it on the website geocaching.com with a description of it and GPS coordinates to the location then folks go find them.  Many of these caches differ in size from as small as a 35mm film canister up to ammo boxes.  It is a hobby that the whole family can do and it is basically free.  You can download an app for your smartphone to search for caches and it gets you outside and walking around.  In the caches people often leave little trinkets or toys to trade with whoever finds the cache.  The general rule is if you take something, leave something.  I thought this would be a great way to get tracts or gospel coins out depending on the size of the cache.  The tracts and coins can go places we can't and reach people we may never be able to reach.

I like to try and leave tracts places I go, like at a gas pump, in public restrooms, etc.  I thought this would be another avenue to get the gospel out to folks.  This would not take away from my regular soul winning activities but would be in addition to.  And it's something I would feel safe taking my kids along to do too.

Wondering if anyone has done anything like this.  Or any ideas for or against this.  Maybe something I overlooked.  Interested in hearing your thoughts!

​Yea,  Some of the places we leave tracts are in New Age bookstores among things being sold.  New age grocery store (supposedly run by (witch's).  I have seen people put tracts. Also I have done it a couple of times under wipers at adult entertainment places.  Barnes and Noble is a good place in front of books on shelves.  We have one guy that rides his bike and his kids too.   Right into the city with his kids.  In front of the subway.  That little fellow one of his kids hands a tract to everyone.  He can't be more than 8 lol.  Cutest thing.  We hand tracts to people just about everywhere from Wal-Marts to drive thru's as we go along.

Another place that is really safe are large crowds at festivals.  Spring festivals.  Sporting events right out in front of the venues.  Plenty of police usually.  People take tracts there.  I have video I have to upload of us doing just such at 2 large events probably 50k people at each event.  One of my computers is in the shop with the video editing software.  When I get that back I will upload it.  You can run out of tracts there quick lol.  Atlanta Street preachers and evangelists.  On youtube.  I just started that channel not to long ago.  It should fill up as the spring and summer months go along.

Edited by Potatochip

• Members

About 5 years ago I was asked by a friend of mine to relief carve/engrave a master coin for him(I'm a fairly decent engraver). On one side it had his ministry symbol and website and on the other side I engraved a verse(can't remember exactly which one now but it was about being lost and found). He used the steel coin I carved for him to make master cast molds out of some kind of latex stuff that comes in a kit. Then he would die 2 part epoxy and cast epoxy coins to put in geocaches. I have no idea how many he has hidden all over the country but he is really into geocaching...his family spends most of their spare time and their travel vacations geocaching all over the country.

Colin

• Moderators

About 5 years ago I was asked by a friend of mine to relief carve/engrave a master coin for him(I'm a fairly decent engraver). On one side it had his ministry symbol and website and on the other side I engraved a verse(can't remember exactly which one now but it was about being lost and found). He used the steel coin I carved for him to make master cast molds out of some kind of latex stuff that comes in a kit. Then he would die 2 part epoxy and cast epoxy coins to put in geocaches. I have no idea how many he has hidden all over the country but he is really into geocaching...his family spends most of their spare time and their travel vacations geocaching all over the country.

Colin

​Now that's cool.

• Members

That is awesome.  I hope to have similar experiences.  

Does anyone have a good place to order gospel coins?  I have seen them on Bible Baptist Bookstore website but cannot make out what both sides say.  Living Waters has a very attractive one but the verses are not KJV so it's out.  Anyone know of any others?

http://shipstore.thehelmsman.com/the-armor-of-god-challenge-coin.aspx