• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

40 Years?

• Moderators

In 2Sam 15:1-7, the Bible says: "And it came to pass after this, that Absalom prepared him chariots and horses, and fifty men to run before him. And Absalom rose up early, and stood beside the way of the gate: and it was so, that when any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment, then Absalom called unto him, and said, Of what city art thou? And he said, Thy servant is of one of the tribes of Israel. And Absalom said unto him, See, thy matters are good and right; but there is no man deputed of the king to hear thee. Absalom said moreover, Oh that I were made judge in the land, that every man which hath any suit or cause might come unto me, and I would do him justice! And it was so, that when any man came nigh to him to do him obeisance, he put forth his hand, and took him, and kissed him. And on this manner did Absalom to all Israel that came to the king for judgment: so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel. And it came to pass after forty years, that Absalom said unto the king, I pray thee, let me go and pay my vow, which I have vowed unto the LORD, in Hebron."

Notice in Vs 7, it says "After forty years"   This is odd to me, because Absalom could not have been at the gate for 40 years, because David's entre rule was 40 years. I don't believe that Absalom was 40 years old. From what did the forty years measure from?

• Members

Yep, I realise that,  but maybe the vow has something to do with Absolom's birth or marriage or heritage?

He has Geshur in his past, but as I said it needs more looking into. 

The suggestion was a place to look for the answer,  not the actual answer itself.

It might be "when 40 years from the vow of Absolom's uncle" for instance????

But I haven't looked into it yet - been a little busy here..... :lol:

• Members

The explanation is ascertained by deriving the context which is given in the sixth verse: "so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel." That is, Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel from David and joined them to himself. When had David won over and bonded unto himself the hearts of the men of Israel? Forty years earlier when he slew the Philistine giant, Goliath, followed quickly by a succession of victories in the months that ensued (I Sam.18:5, 16, 30). The II Samuel 15:6-7 passage thereby allows us to closely estimate David's age at the time of Absalom's rebellion.  Thus the "forty" years is not an error, it is a major key in the chronology of David's life

Taking 40 years from the time that David "stole the hearts of Israel" until the time it was stolen by Absalom after 40 years, puts it when David was 58 years old, and still 12 years remaining of his reign.  

Bro. Garry

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Moderators

The explanation is ascertained by deriving the context which is given in the sixth verse: "so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel." That is, Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel from David and joined them to himself. When had David won over and bonded unto himself the hearts of the men of Israel? Forty years earlier when he slew the Philistine giant, Goliath, followed quickly by a succession of victories in the months that ensued (I Sam.18:5, 16, 30). The II Samuel 15:6-7 passage thereby allows us to closely estimate David's age at the time of Absalom's rebellion.  Thus the "forty" years is not an error, it is a major key in the chronology of David's life

Taking 40 years from the time that David "stole the hearts of Israel" until the time it was stolen by Absalom after 40 years, puts it when David was 58 years old, and still 12 years remaining of his reign.  

Bro. Garry

​INteresting. By the way, I never thought it was an error, just wasn't sure what the 40 years was counted from. I'll look into this. Thanks. any other thoughts out there?