• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Any idea when....

Guest Guest

The psalms were organized and numbered? Do the numbering of the chapters in that book go back to Davids time perhaps?

I ran across this the other day:

"Acts 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee."

And sure enough, in Psalm chapter two:

"Psalm 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee."

• Members

Interesting question, Seth. Assuming the word second wasn't added into the manuscripts somewhere after NT times (for clarification), we'd have to say that the psalms were numbered sometime before the writing of the Acts of the Apostles. Who knows when it happened? I'm sure there are some interesting theories out there. I don't think the concept of "chapters and verses" came along until much later. The Psalms were like a "hymn collection" for the Hebrews. So, it makes sense that they would organize and number them, so that on "Sabbath night singalongs" they would be able to take requests. :lol:

I'd be interested in what others know about this!

• Members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapters_a ... _the_Bible

I haven't studied this completely, but here is what Adam Clarke says (use it as a jumping off point if you will)

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
Ac 13:33
Written in the second Psalm - Instead of ???????????????? the second Psalm, ?????????? , the first Psalm, is the reading of D, and its Itala version, and several of the primitive fathers. Griesbach has received it into the text; but not, in my opinion, on sufficient evidence. The reason of these various readings is sufficiently evident to those who are acquainted with Hebrew MSS. In many of these, two Psalms are often written as one; and the first and second Psalms are written as one in seven of Kennicott's and De Rossi's MSS. Those who possessed such MSS. would say, as it is written in the First Psalm; those who referred to MSS. where the two Psalms were separate, would say, in the Second Psalm, as they would find the quotation in question in the first verse of the second Psalm. There is, therefore, neither contradiction nor difficulty here; and it is no matter which reading we prefer, as it depends on the simple circumstance, whether we consider these two Psalms as parts of one and the same, or whether we consider them as two distinct Psalms.

Here is John Gill (partially)
John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children,? The natural descendants of them, as Paul and Barnabas, and the Jews in the synagogue, were:

in that he hath raised up Jesus again; which may not be understood of his resurrection from the dead, since the promise made, and now fulfilled, has not a single respect to that; but of his being raised up, and sent forth into the world, to be a Saviour and Redeemer, and to sit upon the throne of David, as in Ac 2:30 of which raising of him up to regal dignity, mention is made in Ps 2:1, Ps 6:1 which is produced as a testimony of it; and the rather this seems to be the sense, since the article of the resurrection of the dead is spoken of in the next verse, as distinct from this; and other passages of Scripture are produced, as speaking of it; though admitting that Christ's resurrection from the dead is here intended, as the Alexandrian copy reads, what follows is very applicable to it, without any detriment to the doctrine of Christ's eternal generation and sonship, as will be hereafter made to appear:

as it is written in the second psalm: Beza's most ancient copy, and other very ancient copies, read, "in the first psalm"; for the first and second psalms seem to have been reckoned by the ancient Jews but one psalm, or one section; for so they say1.

""blessed is the man", etc. and "why do the Heathen rage", etc. ??? ???? ???, are one "parasha", or section: and they further observe2, that "every section that was dear to David, he began it with "blessed", and ended it with "blessed"; he began with "blessed", as it is written, Ps 1:1 "blessed is the man", etc. and he ended it with "blessed", as it is written, Ps 2:12 "blessed are all they that put their "trust in him":'' though it is elsewhere said3, "blessed is the man", etc. Ps 1:1 "and why do the heathen rage", etc. Ps 2:1 are two sections; and "to the chief musician on Muth Labben", Ps 9:1) and "why standest thou afar off", etc. (Ps 10:1-18) are two sections.''

And Kimchi calls4 this psalm, as the generality of copies here do, saying,

"this psalm is ?????? ????, "the second psalm."''

And that this psalm belongs to the Messiah, is evident from the mention made of him in Ps 2:2 from the mad counsel, and vain attempts of the kings of the earth against him, Ps 2:1. God's decree and resolution to make and declare him King of Zion, notwithstanding all their efforts upon him, Ps 2:4 from his asking and having the Gentiles, and uttermost parts of the earth for his inheritance, which is true of no other, Ps 2:8 and especially from that reverence, worship, and adoration, which are to be given to him, and that trust and confidence to be placed in him, Ps 2:10 which can by no means agree with David, nor with any mere creature whatever; and as for Ps 2:7 which is here cited, what is said in that is inapplicable even to angels, Heb 1:5 and much more to David, or any mere man. The whole psalm was, by the ancient Jews, interpreted of the Messiah, as is confessed by some of their later doctors. R. David Kimchi says5,

and Robertsons Word Pictures:
[quoteA. T. Robertson's Word Pictures
Hath fulfilled (ekpepl

Assuming the word second wasn't added into the manuscripts somewhere after NT times (for clarification),

Annie,
Lets not even go there, you know very well that this board believes in the preservation of scripture, and that the KJV is the error free word of God in English. :Green

Zeal,
That reminds me why I usually don't like commentaries, much better off without them... Yes I know those two are often used by many IFB's but ugg.... Thanks for the links though, they were somewhat helpful although they don't give a clear answer as to when the Psalms may have been numbered, but perhaps it just isn't known...