• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Iminent Rapture

• Members

I can recall evangelists and other preachers back in the 70s declaring that they expected the Rapture to occur within their lifetime. Many of those same men are dead now. The justified this belief with many "facts" and current events but many of them said that Apostles Peter and Paul and other New Testament saints expected Christ to return before they died. Is there any 'real' Bible evidence that the Apostles believed this?

• Members

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

1Thess 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

• Members
I can recall evangelists and other preachers back in the 70s declaring that they expected the Rapture to occur within their lifetime. Many of those same men are dead now. They justified this belief with many "facts" and current events but many of them said that Apostles Peter and Paul and other New Testament saints expected Christ to return before they died. Is there any 'real' Bible evidence that the Apostles believed this?

Ex rev:

First let's look at this word, "Imminent". It does not mean, "soon", but rather that "it could happen at any time".

Please tell me I'm wrong but I detect in your post a hint of skepticism of whether or not the Rapture is indeed imminent. If I'm NOT wrong then you, sir, are fulfilling prophecy even as we speak. If I'm misunderstanding your query, and if it is indeed an honest question of curiosity then I do sincerely apologize.

Now then, consider this verse::::::::::::

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue

• Members

Pneu,
I'll ignore your commentary about my perspective, see Prov 18:13.

Having said this, thank you all for your answers. I see why the early Christians expected it. I have forgotten so much of the Word in a relatively short time.

• Members

Plus, when Christ ascended, he promised to come back in the same way...however He did not say when...so all who watched him ascend lived their lives waiting for Him to return. Another little tidbit would be remember when Jesus told Peter re. John, "If I will that he tarry til I come, what is that to thee?" Then the Bible said it was rumored that John would not die. I assume that also was a small "proof" that they believed His return would be in their lifetime.

However any pastor or otherwise who tries to figure out some kind of mathematical equation to predict the rapture is not Biblical. The rapture will happen suddenly. Actually any of the end times "signs" are pointing towards Christ's return...at the millenium...if I'm not mistaken. The rapture will be extremely sudden and unexpected, IMO.

Some do feel that as the earth is approx. 6000 years old, by the Scripture that says "1000 years as a day" that we will soon have the rapture/trib/millenium so that all of history would equal 7000 years (7 days) but that is highly debatable and I feel God is not limiting himself to our timetable, at least not in a strict way of speaking (maybe loosely, according to whatever timetable He has in Heaven).

• Members

:goodpost: Suzy!

Christ could return at any time. We will not know when He is coming, there will be no warning as it will happen suddenly, in the twinkling of an eye.

The problem isn't that some preach the imminent return of Christ, for that's biblical, the problem is with those who make declarations that are not biblical. There is nothing wrong with saying, "Christ could come in our lifetime" but there is a problem with those who proclaim as a matter of fact that, "Christ WILL come in our lifetime".

We know not the hour of His return. We are told He could return at any time. We are told to be prepared at all times and to ever be watching and waiting for His return. We are NOT told to try and determine the timing of His return.

If we simply followed what the Bible teaches on this, which is to recognize His return could happen at any moment and that we are to ALWAYS be ready for His return and not wasting time trying to determine the time of His return (which Scripture says no one but the Father knows), then we would be doing well.

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 9/7/2008 at 2:49 AM, ExRev said:

I can recall evangelists and other preachers back in the 70s declaring that they expected the Rapture to occur within their lifetime. Many of those same men are dead now. The justified this belief with many "facts" and current events but many of them said that Apostles Peter and Paul and other New Testament saints expected Christ to return before they died. Is there any 'real' Bible evidence that the Apostles believed this?

Paul knew that he would die before the rapture. 2 Timothy 4:6-8   For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.  7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:  8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Does that answer your question?