• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God is in the business of fixing cars too...

• Administrators

Many of these newer vehicles have very sophisticated computer systems that actually re-boot to original settings once the engine is turned off and on again. I write this not to take anything away from the OP in regard to God fixing vehicles, but simply to point out that we can also give God credit for enabling man with understanding enough to design mechanical things like this.

Even my older truck (2004) with 326,000 miles has this feature. I was once off road and in four wheel drive low and first gear. When I got to where I needed to shift back to two wheel drive it would not shift, even though the shift handle was in the correct position. I shut it off, waited a minute or two and re-started it. Put it in two wheel drive and it worked perfectly. (auto transmission and push button 4WD)

I have had a couple of instances like this and was amazed to find that in most situations the problem will correct itself by turning off the ignition and turning it back on again.

Praise God for technology.

• Moderators

Haha! I was wondering about that after - the whole shutting the engine off bit (although we wouldn't have shut it off if we hadn't taken the time to pray - so it still counts as answered prayer! :wink ) I'm the first line of offense for IT issues in our office, and it is amazing how many problems can be fixed by shutting the machine off and turning it on again. It'd be awfully nice to be able to 'fix' cars the same way!

• Moderators

Well, I know its only by God's good grace that my old truck is still running-I have needed a new transmission for at leat 6 months or more, but as I have npo other options at the moment, I have continued to run it, usually just to and from work, about 5 miles each way. I have to run it initially in second gear, (its automatic), until I hit about 37 mph, then I can shift to drive and it works okay, but anytime I go below 35, gotta go back to 2nd. Only recently I am finding that 2nd gear is starting to lag, so it may not continue much longer. I currently have two other vehicles being worked on, a Ranger and a Jeep, but the guy working on them is really dragging. Gonna have to beat that boy. But praise God He has kept the truck running as long as He has and I know He will provide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, I know its only by God's good grace that my old truck is still running-I have needed a new transmission for at leat 6 months or more, but as I have npo other options at the moment, I have continued to run it, usually just to and from work, about 5 miles each way. I have to run it initially in second gear, (its automatic), until I hit about 37 mph, then I can shift to drive and it works okay, but anytime I go below 35, gotta go back to 2nd. Only recently I am finding that 2nd gear is starting to lag, so it may not continue much longer. I currently have two other vehicles being worked on, a Ranger and a Jeep, but the guy working on them is really dragging. Gonna have to beat that boy. But praise God He has kept the truck running as long as He has and I know He will provide.

​My father-inlaw was in the transmission business, I work part time for him for eight years on my days off my other job, I learned one of the biggest problems was the fluid and filter needed to be change or there is something as simple as a stuck valve or seal leaking in the valve body which its a easy fix but you got to be careful about the balls in it and not to lose them or put them back in the wrong place.you can remove the valves with a ice pick and a small pair clip rings ,be careful with the springs they may be under pressure if you don't remove the valve body from the transmission,you'll need a honing to hone the cylinder walls out tool and need to check the valves for pitting or damage if any have this replaced them( I wouldn't recommend this if you don't much about mechanics) I would try one of the addtives that losens sticking valves from the parts store first,if a seals is leaking I don't know of any additive for that but it wouldn't hurt to ask. also the modulator valve may have a vacuum leak you tell can this if your engine ideals rough and your hear a hissing sound or its not getting any vacuum to the Modulator valve I've seen these hoses get stopped up and if they do you get no vacuum to the modulator, the valve is located on the outside of the transmission on the right side close to the front of the transmission you can remove the hose put your thumb over the end of it(engine running) and if you feel suction you're good you can remove the modulator valve with a 1/2'' wrench and the parts store should have away to test it to see if its bad, if there a auto zone or advance auto store close to you they will check this out for for free.(I'm on east coast and unsure if you have these stores on the west coast).also check your fluid if its dark brown and has strong burnt odor ( you can taste to tell if its burnt but that's up to you brother)you may have some burnt clucthes if so you may have troubles.yet a fluid and filter change is all you may need.the only other thing I can think of if the pistion cylinder seal at the front of the trans and that would a mean comptete overhaul which is not the problem your having .  don't let anyone tell you to put brake fluid in it , though it will make it work better by making all the seals swell and help a stuck valve but it will only last a short time and will mess up the transmission and you'll have to junk it then, hope this helps brother, I'm praying the Lord will send someone your way to help

God Bless Brother

Edited by EKSmith

• Moderators

​My father-inlaw was in the transmission business, I work part time for him for eight years on my days off my other job, I learned one of the biggest problems was the fluid and filter needed to be change or there is something as simple as a stuck valve or seal leaking in the valve body which its a easy fix but you got to be careful about the balls in it and not to lose them or put them back in the wrong place.you can remove the valves with a ice pick and a small pair clip rings ,be careful with the springs they may be under pressure if you don't remove the valve body from the transmission,you'll need a honing to hone the cylinder walls out tool and need to check the valves for pitting or damage if any have this replaced them( I wouldn't recommend this if you don't much about mechanics) I would try one of the addtives that losens sticking valves from the parts store first,if a seals is leaking I don't know of any additive for that but it wouldn't hurt to ask. also the modulator valve may have a vacuum leak you tell can this if your engine ideals rough and your hear a hissing sound or its not getting any vacuum to the Modulator valve I've seen these hoses get stopped up and if they do you get no vacuum to the modulator, the valve is located on the outside of the transmission on the right side close to the front of the transmission you can remove the hose put your thumb over the end of it(engine running) and if you feel suction you're good you can remove the modulator valve with a 1/2'' wrench and the parts store should have away to test it to see if its bad, if there a auto zone or advance auto store close to you they will check this out for for free.(I'm on east coast and unsure if you have these stores on the west coast).also check your fluid if its dark brown and has strong burnt odor ( you can taste to tell if its burnt but that's up to you brother)you may have some burnt clucthes if so you may have troubles.yet a fluid and filter change is all you may need.the only other thing I can think of if the pistion cylinder seal at the front of the trans and that would a mean comptete overhaul which is not the problem your having .  don't let anyone tell you to put brake fluid in it , though it will make it work better by making all the seals swell and help a stuck valve but it will only last a short time and will mess up the transmission and you'll have to junk it then, hope this helps brother, I'm praying the Lord will send someone your way to help

God Bless Brother

​Thanks for the advice. unfortunately,  if you haven't read in my other post, my transmission gave up the ghost. Really it had seemed a little off since I bought it about three years ago, but as is often the case, finances keep me from getting things fixed when its still early and I end up running it to death. Right now, I have my tax return in so I have my other truck, my Ranger, finally into the shop to get some work done on it, and I can finally, I hope, afford it. Trying to get a few things done in other areas, as well, that have been lapsing, but not sure I can do it all.

• Members

​Thanks for the advice. unfortunately,  if you haven't read in my other post, my transmission gave up the ghost. Really it had seemed a little off since I bought it about three years ago, but as is often the case, finances keep me from getting things fixed when its still early and I end up running it to death. Right now, I have my tax return in so I have my other truck, my Ranger, finally into the shop to get some work done on it, and I can finally, I hope, afford it. Trying to get a few things done in other areas, as well, that have been lapsing, but not sure I can do it all.

​You're in my Prayers brother 

• Moderators

Thanks. Its the price of living in the desert, down 3 miles of bad road, , having to drive between 40-60 miles to go shopping, or anything else, due to our location-it can be very tough on a vehicle.  But God is good and somehow we manage to get along.