• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Church be defining marriage?

Go to solution Solved by OLD fashioned preacher,

Guest John R

Should the Church be involved in having marriage defined as God ordained it or not?

This includes writing books, publishing literature, protesting that marriage is between a man and a woman? Or is this part of separation of church and state?

• 5 months later...
  • Members

The church doesn't define marriage, but testifies with the truth put out by God himself, from the Holy scriptures, what marriage is.

If you think we as Christians make up the rules, you are sadly mistaken my friend.

We only proclaim the truth as God has shown us in the books he has led men to write.

Men who have stood in the presence of God.

And he desires that we stand for that truth no matter whether it is in the church building or the courthouse.

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

That is truth from a book called Psalms, the 33rd psalm, verse 12.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

Should the Church be involved in having marriage defined as God ordained it or not?

This includes writing books, publishing literature, protesting that marriage is between a man and a woman? Or is this part of separation of church and state?

cshort answer.  Since marriage was instituted by God and not man, the Church should have say-so about what gender marries what gender. (as long as the Church is not speaking contrary to God in the matter)

• Members

I wholeheartedly concur with the above people who stated it is GOD (and God alone) who ordains a marriage.  I also agree that if God didn't join them together, it is NOT a marriage. 

The original post of this thread asks if the church should be involved in the opposition of "marriages" which are not defined and ordained by God?  I don't think the church (ANY bible-believing church) will have much option in the near future but to sat: "NO", "We will not perform same-sex marriages".

Here's an article (link at bottom of post) on facebook about a woman who refused to issue marriage licenses for LGBT couples.  Sadly, she was arrested for it.  She does work in the Rowan county of Kentucky and is an elected official  (Clerk of Courts).  So... the law will likely come down hard on her and "make an example" of her, sadly.   We can expect to see this more, and there will likely be untold numbers of Christians quitting those types of jobs where they feel they would have to perform an act contrary to their beliefs.  That's one side of the coin... the other side of the coin which is far more concerning... Will the US legal system decide that all ministers/pastors/clergy (whomever is ordained to perform legal marriages) then be mandated to perform LGBT "marriages" also? Possibly at risk of losing their qualifications to perform "marriages" if they don't comply?  I truly believe soon it will be illegal to even mention certain bible passages such as: Leviticus 18:22 , Leviticus 20:13, Judges 19:22, Genesis 13:13, Genesis 19:5, Deuteronomy 23:17, 1st Kings 14:24, 1st Kings 15:12, 1st Kings 22:46, 2nd Kings 23:7, Isaiah 3:9, Ezekiel 16:49-50, Romans 1:24-28, 1st Corinthians 6:9, 1st Timothy 1:10, Jude 1:7 and then other passages and specifically about marriage: Mark 10:6-19, 1st Corinthians 7:2, and others.  

Obama has publicly stated that "Fundamental Christians need to CHANGE their view about same-sex marriages".  He doesn't believe the bible, he doesn't believe God, He doesn't care what we fundamental Christians think or believe either... we are just a minority who (hopefully) didn't vote for him.  His latest stunt with giving Iran everything they ever wanted proves his ties with Islam (to me). I mean WHO really wants Iran to have nukes?  The same people who took to the streets chanting "death to Israel" and "death to America"... they will soon have nuclear capability and in their sick twisted religion they believe if they blow up their own children or themselves while killing "the enemy" (ANY non-muslim) that they will receive a reward from their "god" for doing so. If this president is so bold as to take that step and also so liberal as to promote same-sex "marriage", I shutter to think what else he has in store for bible believers.  

Here's the facebook article (there are plenty of these types of articles being passed around daily also): http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/blog/?p=35277

• Moderators

Rhonda (I didn't want to quote the post, just address it):    I stated in another thread that our church's stand on weddings is simple -- Our church doesn't perform weddings. I (as a general rule) don't perform weddings. If I don't know the couple, I don't do the ceremony. If I'm not confident that both parties are saved and desire to serve the Lord, I don't do the ceremony.

If I choose to perform a wedding it is a personal favor (since I don't charge a given price). If I want to do a wedding, the church may decide to allow me to do it in the church building (or may not). This moves the whole discrimination argument into a totally different legal realm,. When the church doesn't do weddings, doesn't allow preachers they don't know to use the facilities and may even veto the pastor's use -- they are discriminating against the vast majority of the population, forcing the question of whether the government can force churches to do weddings for everyone in violation of the first amendment.

Actually, that's not as radical nor unheard of among IB churches as it sounds. For example, MANY IB churches would tell the pastor to find another building if he wants to do a wedding for a couple in which one or both parties have been divorced.

The problem with a "we only marry church members" policy (as opposed to a "we don't perform weddings" one) is this. Troy joins the church, 5 months later Jamie joins the church. They have both learned the rhetoric and seem to be walking the walk. What you don't know is that they have been a same sex "item: for 2 years. 6 months later these 2 members want to be married -- they have a suit that might fly.

Edited by OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

In our church a couple wanting to be married would approach the pastor who would interview the couple and if he agreed would put it to the elders, If they agreed it would be put to the members and it would be if they agreed it would go ahead, if not it would not. The members have the final say.