• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Trinity

• Members

Recently my friends and I were discussing the Trinity. We were discussing who we will see when we get to heaven. Some people believe that we will only see Jesus while others believe we will see Jesus and God. Which view is right and why? I personally have been taught that we will see both but recently have been challenged and lean towards the other belief that we will only see Jesus. I need some insight from people who have studied their Bibles longer than I have.

• Members

Right at the moment I can't give you scripture to back up what I believe on this, it would take be a bit to put it together.

I feel we will see Jesus as He was when he left this earth. I feel to that being as we will be in our glorified body, perfectly free of sin that we will see God with our own eyes.

Oh, I just thought of a few verses!

25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job 19:25-27 (KJV)

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Matt 5:8 (KJV)

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Cor 13:12 (KJV)

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 John 3:2 (KJV)

7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Rev 1:7 (KJV)

I feel to we will see our loved ones who have gone on before us, but only at some point after we have seen our precious Savior and our Father.

Just think, the best is yet to come.

That is a somewhat difficult question to answer. It all depends on what you mean by "see". I am quite confident that we will see everything that Jesus can see of the Father, but whether that includes any physical form is hard to say for certain. It is quite possible that the Father, as a Spirit, is not seen physically. The only physical things connected with the Father in scripture are a thunderous voice, and small manifestations of his power, glory, and holiness: such as the consuming fire he is spoken of as.

"John 14:7-11 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works sake."

"John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

"Colossians 2:8-9 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."

"Colossians 1:11-19 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;"

All those verses would seem to imply that God does not have a form in a visible sense other than Christ. The only verse that I can think of that might imply otherwise is this one:

"Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."

Since the angels are Spirits themselves it is difficult to say What kind of "face" they are beholding. Might be a visible form, might not. That verse may be just figurative such as when we say someone "has our ear".

Personally, I don't worry about it, I know I will see everything that is to be seen of the Trinity, and as scripture says:

"1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."

Considering that verse, I know I can't really grasp everything that will be going on then in this life, and since I know will be surprised anyway, I am satisfied to to leave it up to God. It is his surprise for us, and Gods surprises never disappoint. :thumb

• Members
That is a somewhat difficult question to answer. It all depends on what you mean by "see". I am quite confident that we will see everything that Jesus can see of the Father, but whether that includes any physical form is hard to say for certain. It is quite possible that the Father, as a Spirit, is not seen physically. The only physical things connected with the Father in scripture are a thunderous voice, and small manifestations of his power, glory, and holiness: such as the consuming fire he is spoken of as.

"John 14:7-11 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works sake."

"John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

"Colossians 2:8-9 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."

"Colossians 1:11-19 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;"

All those verses would seem to imply that God does not have a form in a visible sense other than Christ. The only verse that I can think of that might imply otherwise is this one:

"Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."

Since the angels are Spirits themselves it is difficult to say What kind of "face" they are beholding. Might be a visible form, might not. That verse may be just figurative such as when we say someone "has our ear".

Personally, I don't worry about it, I know I will see everything that is to be seen of the Trinity, and as scripture says:

"1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."

Considering that verse, I know I can't really grasp everything that will be going on then in this life, and since I know will be surprised anyway, I am satisfied to to leave it up to God. It is his surprise for us, and Gods surprises never disappoint. :thumb

What's difficult to understand about this?

Its either truth are its not truth, I believe its truth. And if you believe this verse, you're leaving it up to God and what he has told us.

What is about this?

Its either truth are its not truth, I believe its truth. And if you believe this verse, you're leaving it up to God.

That verse could be a reference to God the Father, but it doesn't come out and say so. And even if it did we also have the issue of Jesus telling his disciples that they had seen the father because they had seen him.

Here is another verse showing the same thing:

"John 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father."

It is a very difficult thing to separate the members of the trinity from each other, except at the cross, they are always were, and are, together.

• Members

Daniel 7:9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
7:11 I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.
7:12 As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.
7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom [that] which shall not be destroyed.

There is the Father (Ancient of Days) and there is Jesus (One like the son of Man) Who is then given the kingdom that all should serve Him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believer there are 3 that bear record in heaven, but I do not believe in the trinity. In psalms it sais Gods spirit is free, Jesus said that he was the Son of God, aka the Christ. He also said the Father in heaven is greater than I. There is no Three headed GOD. We are not polytheistic. When Jesus said, "when youve sceen me youve sceen the father." he did not mean he was the Father, only that he acted in his Fathers behalf.

• Members
John 10:30 - I and my Father are one.
If you read the context, you'll see that the Jewish religious leaders were ready to kill Jesus because of His claim of being God.

Philippians 2:5-7

5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Again, Christ places Himself on equal footing with God. This is not polytheistic. Just as you are body, soul, and spirit, the Godhead comprises God, Christ, and Spirit.

• Administrators

To our finite minds, it is difficult to understand many things about God. One of these is the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Each one distinct and yet all one.

Look at Is. 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

This is a prophecy of the coming of Christ. Please note that two of His names are "the mighty God" and "the everlasting Father."

Remember when Moses questioned God as to what to say to the Israelites? What did God say to tell them who sent him? "I Am." What did Jesus say to the Pharisees when they were talking about Abraham? "Before Abraham was, I AM."

John 1:1-3 "In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him and without him was not anything made that was made."

Genesis 1 tells us that God spoke everything into existence (until He came to man...then He formed him and breathed life into him). And God used the words "let us."

A Trinity is not polytheism. We have one God with three persons. Again, hard for our finite minds to grasp, but we will see the truth of it when we get to Heaven.