• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...no rising up.

• Members

Proverbs 30

29There be three things which go well, yea, four are comely in going:

30A lion which is strongest among beasts, and turneth not away for any;

31A greyhound; an he goat also; and a king, against whom there is no rising up.

Wouldn't you say that this verse is speaking only of the King of Kings when He reigns in the millennium? And that the "rising up" means that no one will even want to TRY? I don't see how the "comeliness" could refer to earthly kings, because I'm pretty sure there are some North Koreans who would love to get the chance. What do you think?

• Members

I agree with Dave, I don't thing that's what it's referring to.

Many people wouldn't find a goat, greyhound or even a lion to be comely either so I don't think your line of reasoning fits.

One could also argue that to some extent there is a "rising up" in North Korea. Many try to escape when they think they can. Many have illegal contact with the outside world sending or receiving information. Missionaries who sneak in and out of North Korea report good success with folks being open to the Gospel, which the leadership is against. The North Korean leadership must strictly enforce rules against the citizens in order to get them to comply with the dictates of the leadership.

• Members

Stately in appearance.   From Gill, who says it better than me:  There be three things which go well,.... In a very orderly and composed manner; with constancy and cheerfulness, with great stateliness and majesty, intrepidly, and without fear; 

I have no problem with today's animals being described here, but I do have a problem with today's leaders I have knowledge of.

• Members

King Solomon? The current Queen of England, Elizabeth II? Those are two that I can think of off the top of my head that might be what the verse is talking about. Highly respected heads of state who weren't rebelled against or attacked by an invading army. I'm sure there have been many others. I doubt very much it's talking about dictators who are hated by their people, because they are rising against him, if only in their imaginations or in secret gatherings. 

Comely: to be good, be pleasing, be joyful, be beneficial, be pleasant, be favourable, be happy, be right 

• Members

King Solomon? The current Queen of England, Elizabeth II? Those are two that I can think of off the top of my head that might be what the verse is talking about. Highly respected heads of state who weren't rebelled against or attacked by an invading army. I'm sure there have been many others. I doubt very much it's talking about dictators who are hated by their people, because they are rising against him, if only in their imaginations or in secret gatherings. 

Comely: to be good, be pleasing, be joyful, be beneficial, be pleasant, be favourable, be happy, be right 

​Good historical and biblical illustrations that give an appropriate meaning the context of, '..and a king, against whom there is no rising up.'

That was a fine exposition of the words of Solomon.