• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

• Members

Nothing beats a plain sugar cookie! No frills, no nuts, just... well, sugar cookie. 

"If it ain't homemade, is it even real?!"

without further ado, 

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookes (makes a few dozen cookies, depending on the size/thickness):

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup butter (softened) 

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Combine butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Add agges one at a time and beat well; add vanilla and combine. Stir in dry ingredients until combined. Refrigerate dough for at least one hour. Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Cut with a cookie cutter. Bake for 10-15 minutes on lightly greased baking sheets.

Your Sister in Christ,

Claire

Titus 2:1-5

• Members
  • 3/4 cup Genesis 18:8
  • 1 1/2 cup Jeremiah 6:20
  • 5 Isaiah 10:14 (separated)
  • 3 cups sifted Leviticus 24:5
  • 3 teaspoons 2 Kings 2:20
  • 3 teaspoons Amos 4:5
  • 1 teaspoon Exodus 30:23
  • 1/4 teaspoon each 2 Chronicles 9:9
  • 1/2 cup Judges 4:19
  • 3/4 chopped Genesis 43:11
  • 3/4 cup finely cut Jeremiah 24:5
  • 3/4 cup 2 Samuel 16:1
  • Whole Genesis 43:11

Instructions:

• Cream Genesis 18 with Jeremiah 6. Beat in yolks of Isaiah 10, one at a time. Sift together Leviticus 24; 2 Kings 2; Amos 4; Exodus 30; and 2 Chronicles 9.
  • Blend into creamed mixture alternately with Judges 4. Beat whites of Isaiah 10 till stiff; fold in. Fold in chopped Genesis 43; Jeremiah 24; and 2 Samuel 16. Turn into 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and dusted with Leviticus 24.
  • Bake at 325 degrees F until it is golden brown or Gabriel blows his trumpet, whichever happens first. Bake for an hour and ten minutes. Remove from oven.  After fifteen minutes, remove it from the pan. Cool completely. Drizzle over it some Burnt Jeremiah Syrup.

BURNT JEREMIAH SYRUP

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups Jeremiah 6:20
  • 1/2 cup Genesis 24:45
  • 1/4 cup Genesis 18:8

Instructions:

• Melt Jeremiah 6 in a heavy skillet over low heat. Keep cooking it till it is a deep gold, then add Genesis 24. Cook till smooth and remove from the heat. Add Genesis 18 and stir till it melts, then cool.
  • After drizzling this on the Scripture Cake, you can decorate it with whole Genesis.

THE SCRIPTURE CAKE:

Genesis 18:8 “And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them.”

Jeremiah 6:20 “To what purpose cometh there to me frankincense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country.” (Sugar)

Isaiah 10:4 “And my hand hath found as a nest the riches of the peoples; and as one gathered eggs that are forsaken, have I gathered the earth.”

Leviticus 24:5 “And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof.”

2 Kings 2:20 “And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein.”

Amos 4:5 “And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving of that which is leavened, and proclaim free will offerings and publish them.” (Baking Powder)

Exodus 30:23 “Take thou also, unto thee the chief spices; of flowering myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half as much.”

2 Chronicles 9:9 “And she gave the King a hundred and twenty talents of gold, and spices in great abundance.”

Judges 4:19 “ And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk and gave him drink.”

Genesis 43:11 “Carry down the man a present, a little balm, and a little honey, spicery and myrrh, nuts and almonds.”

Jeremiah 24:5 “Thou saith Jehovah, God of Israel: Like these good figs, so will I regard the captives of Judah whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans, for good.”

2 Samuel 16:1 “And when David was a little past the top of the assent, behold, Ziba, the servant of Mephiboseth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and a hundred clusters of raisins.

Genesis 24:45 “And before I had done speaking in my heart, behold Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down to the fountain, and drew: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.”

• Members

Instructions:

• Cream Genesis 18 with Jeremiah 6. Beat in yolks of Isaiah 10, one at a time. Sift together Leviticus 24; 2 Kings 2; Amos 4; Exodus 30; and 2 Chronicles 9.
  • Blend into creamed mixture alternately with Judges 4. Beat whites of Isaiah 10 till stiff; fold in. Fold in chopped Genesis 43; Jeremiah 24; and 2 Samuel 16. Turn into 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and dusted with Leviticus 24.
  • Bake at 325 degrees F until it is golden brown or Gabriel blows his trumpet, whichever happens first. Bake for an hour and ten minutes. Remove from oven.  After fifteen minutes, remove it from the pan. Cool completely. Drizzle over it some Burnt Jeremiah Syrup.

BURNT JEREMIAH SYRUP

Ingredients:

Instructions:

• Melt Jeremiah 6 in a heavy skillet over low heat. Keep cooking it till it is a deep gold, then add Genesis 24. Cook till smooth and remove from the heat. Add Genesis 18 and stir till it melts, then cool.
  • After drizzling this on the Scripture Cake, you can decorate it with whole Genesis.

THE SCRIPTURE CAKE:

Genesis 18:8 “And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them.”

Jeremiah 6:20 “To what purpose cometh there to me frankincense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country.” (Sugar)

Isaiah 10:4 “And my hand hath found as a nest the riches of the peoples; and as one gathered eggs that are forsaken, have I gathered the earth.”

Leviticus 24:5 “And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof.”

2 Kings 2:20 “And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein.”

Amos 4:5 “And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving of that which is leavened, and proclaim free will offerings and publish them.” (Baking Powder)

Exodus 30:23 “Take thou also, unto thee the chief spices; of flowering myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half as much.”

2 Chronicles 9:9 “And she gave the King a hundred and twenty talents of gold, and spices in great abundance.”

Judges 4:19 “ And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk and gave him drink.”

Genesis 43:11 “Carry down the man a present, a little balm, and a little honey, spicery and myrrh, nuts and almonds.”

Jeremiah 24:5 “Thou saith Jehovah, God of Israel: Like these good figs, so will I regard the captives of Judah whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans, for good.”

2 Samuel 16:1 “And when David was a little past the top of the assent, behold, Ziba, the servant of Mephiboseth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and a hundred clusters of raisins.

Genesis 24:45 “And before I had done speaking in my heart, behold Rebekah came forth with her pitcher on her shoulder; and she went down to the fountain, and drew: and I said unto her, Let me drink, I pray thee.”

That sound like it.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Scripture-cake

This cake is my version, arranging ingredients and amounts to give us this incredible apple, fig, and walnut cake. The cake is loaded with flavor, quite dense and wonderfully delicious. I’ll go easy on you and give you both the scripture and the ingredient. Scripture comes from the King James version.

Grease 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with 1 tablespoon Judges 5:25. Sprinkle with raw Jeremiah 6:20, turning pan to coat. Sprinkle 1/3 cup chopped Genesis 43:11 evenly into the bottom of the pan and set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat 1 cup Judges 5:25 (Butter)

He asked water, and she gave him milk; she brought forth butter in a lordly dish.

along with 1½ cups Jeremiah 6:20 beating until light and fluffy– (Sugar)

To what purpose cometh there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? Your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me.

Beat in 4 Jeremiah 17:11, one at a time. (Eggs)

As the partridge sitteth on eggs, and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days, and at his end shall be a fool.

Combine 2 cups Exodus 29:2 –(flour)

And unleavened bread, and cakes unleavened tempered with oil, and wafers unleavened anointed with oil; of wheaten flour shalt thou make them.

mix with the following ingredients: 2 teaspoons Amos 4:5 – (baking powder)

And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven, and proclaim and publish the free offerings; for this liketh you, O ye children of Israel, saith the Lord God.

2 Chronicles 9:9 to taste (cloves, allspice, nutmeg)

And she gave the king a hundred and twenty talents of gold, and of spices great abundance, and precious stones: neither was there any such spice as the queen of Sheba gave King Solomon.

2 teaspoons Exodus 30:23 (Cinnamon)
Take thou also, unto thee the chief spices; of flowering myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon, half as much.

and A pinch of Mark 9:50 – (salt)

Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with another.

Add to the Judges 5:25 mixture; beat at low speed until well combined.

Stir in: 1 tablespoon 1 Samuel 14:25 – (honey)

And all they of the land came to a wood; and there was honey upon the ground.

along with 1/2 cups 1 Samuel 30:12 – (raisins)

And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins; and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him; for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights.

and 2 cups chopped dried Song of Solomon 2:13 (figs)

The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Mix in 1 cups slivered or chopped Numbers 17:8 – (almonds) and remaining 2/3 cup chopped Genesis 43:11 (walnuts).

And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yield almonds.

Add in 4 cups cored, peeled, and coarsely chopped Psalms 17:8. (apple)

Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,

Follow Solomon’s advice for making good boys – Proverbs 23:14
Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake in 350 degree oven until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes; invert onto wire rack and cool completely. Best if prepared 1 day before serving. Store cake at room temperature. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream!

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him. Psalm 34:8

The historical cake can still be made today. To play the game as our grandmothers might have played it, read the Biblical list of ingredients and write down your knowledge (or best guess) of the scriptural ingredients. Then, to be on the safe side, look in a King James version of the Bible to verify your answers! Have fun with your sons and daughters or grandsons and granddaughters in playing this game!

~Blessings, Catherine

Susan Austin Price's photo.
Edited by Shadowfeathers

• 1 year later...